Riley May Name Starting QB 'Shortly' After Spring Game

"Right now, we are discussing what might be the best time to (name the starter)," Nebraska coach Mike Riley told me following Saturday's practice. "I think what I want to do is get through spring practice, then name it shortly thereafter."

Riley has given no meaningful clues as to who might lead the race involving junior transfer Tanner Lee and redshirt freshman Patrick O'Brien. The coach is pleased with both of them. But he sounds like he's almost ready to name his guy.

However, "I don't see any reason going into the last week of spring practice to make that big, big announcement and make that be the focal point," Riley said. "And really, I'm not ready to name the starter. I want to kind of let it play out."

LJS

• Fire 1

Lee/O'Brien = Keller/Ganz

The drama is totally manufactured here. We have heard hype upon hype about Lee. And almost nothing about Patrick, other than Riley likes what he sees. Tanner came here and sat out a year because of a promise to play. If Patrick or Tristian want a turn, they'll have to wait for a Lee injury or two years, whichever comes first. There is a slight chance, underline slight about a dozen times, that Tanner plays so well that he opts for the NFL after year one. In absence of that, he'll be here for two years as the starter. We'll just all hope that he plays well and that the Huskers win. But to think that the QB battle is going to turn any other way is a waste of time.

Maybe Tanner is truly a cut above and should be the starter. We don't know that for sure. And we might not know until fall 2019.