Vox skewers CNN

That's a factor of the instant information age, and it will continue to happen. Why pay today for a newspaper full of stuff I knew about yesterday?

Most media outlets publish their content online and that includes newspapers. They know they can't wait until the next day to post a story.

You were talking about local news sources. Most small-town papers - the ones that are going out of business - aren't putting content online for people to consume. Those are from larger locales, like Lincoln, Omaha, and larger. In the context of the vanishing small-town paper, that online source is not as good as the big-city stuff and often largely irrelevant.

If we want to talk about the fact that news is online now, that's fine. That can include a discussion of print being dead, and it is (or at least nearly so), and that's fine. News delivery will evolve like every other industry.

I am talking about local news sources. The World-Herald and Journal Star are both considered local.

And yes, small town newspapers are putting their content online. I don't know if you'd be able to quantify your statement. I couldn't, but I did look at several. The Scottsbluff Herald, the Kearney Hub... I even googled one of the smallest markets (Fairbanks) and found their paper has an online site. Mankato has an online supplement. All of these locations are posting timely, relevant news to their websites.

The local small-town papers don't really have local small-town news being pushed online live, though.

Similar to my response to knapplc, I don't think you can quantify that statement or say it's true.

The main times newspapers withhold content is if they know they have the exclusive. Otherwise, they know not staying current and letting the competition be first is a losing business model, and that applies online.

Why are they going out of business, or downsizing? Why is the JournalStar looking to move to smaller digs away from downtown?

Because people aren't choosing to pay for local content anymore and instead rely on bits of information gathered through social media, or network information.

Truth be told, I'm not sure what you're arguing.

Why are they going out of business, or downsizing? Why is the JournalStar looking to move to smaller digs away from downtown?

Because people aren't choosing to pay for local content anymore and instead rely on bits of information gathered through social media, or network information.

I'm not arguing, first. But I am saying what you just said in the bold.

It seems like we're disagreeing, but that's essentially my point. And that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just the natural evolution of information exchange based on the media available.

I'm not arguing, first. But I am saying what you just said in the bold.

It seems like we're disagreeing, but that's essentially my point. And that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just the natural evolution of information exchange based on the media available.

OK - it didn't seem like we were arguing but I wasn't sure if I was missing something, so that's why I said it.

My main dog in the fight is that people should be taking their local news sources more seriously, and those local sources aren't just on the rack stand at the supermarket or on their front porch. They're in the digital and social space, yet because it doesn't come wrapped in see-through plastic, people seem to act like it no longer has monetary value. To me, that's sad.