Texas Republicans

I clicked the link, and read the story, and you still consistently paint with far too broad of a brush and define everyone that doesn't ascribe to your ideology as an evil monolith defined by the worst of people that self-identify using the Republican label.

• Fire 4

I clicked the link, and read the story, and you still consistently paint with far too broad of a brush and define everyone that doesn't ascribe to your ideology as an evil monolith defined by the worst of people that self-identify using the Republican label.

Right.

Because Republicans in Texas are "completely different" than the ones in: Tennessee, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana, and the numerous other states where legislation promoting bigotry, racism, hatred, intolerance, xenophobia, and "christian religious freedom" is advancing at an alarming rate.

Edit: Let me put it this way...For every one Republican who is okay/tolerant of non-whites, gays/trans, immigrants, etc....

There are 100 who are not. These elected Republicans are doing what their constituency wants.

So grab a paint brush.

Further, it is interesting that you didn't address the larger point. Texas Republicans are a case study in how Republicans think and what they believe.

To wit, Republicans are a collection of white male, utterly racist, homophobic, xenophobic, bigoted, "America is for rich whites only" a-holes.

The 1 out of 100 Republicans who don't ascribe to this description aren't nearly enough to negate the "broad brush" accusations.

We can look at Texas, or North Carolina, or any number of places where little cuts at equal protections such as this are spearheaded by the same political party, usually under the banner of religious freedom (or defending the family, or something). At some point it's hard not to say it's a significant part of the party agenda.

That said, MC, you still seem to have a way of going overboard with your attacks. White men are not synonymous with Republicans and Republicans aren't even close to being all white men. It's not productive to think of it that way.

We can look at Texas, or North Carolina, or any number of places where little cuts at equal protections such as this are spearheaded by the same political party, usually under the banner of religious freedom (or defending the family, or something). At some point it's hard not to say it's a significant part of the party agenda.

That said, MC, you still seem to have a way of going overboard with your attacks. White men are not synonymous with Republicans and Republicans aren't even close to being all white men. It's not productive to think of it that way.

I don't see any other color or political association of men consistently doing anything even remotely close to what white male republicans are doing/want to do.

Edit: If you have examples to counter what I am saying...please Zoogs...enlighten me.

Republicans are also women, black, latino, asian, minority, gay, trans, ... I mean, it just makes me uncomfortable to see you making this *exclusively* a 'white male' thing.

But, sure, let's call a spade a spade with the Republican agenda. It's horrific. Abhorrent. Homophobic, xenophobic, racist, mysoginist, and cruel. I'm sorry if that offends people, but if you're bothered by these things, then the GOP's record should give you fits. There's too much of it to say it's just a one off and far too much expediency going around to let people say "Oh, I hate those things" while still supporting this party and their aims.

• Fire 1

Republicans are also women, black, latino, asian, minority, gay, trans, ... I mean, it just makes me uncomfortable to see you making this *exclusively* a 'white male' thing.

But, sure, let's call a spade a spade with the Republican agenda. It's horrific. Abhorrent. Homophobic, xenophobic, racist, mysoginist, and cruel. I'm sorry if that offends people, but if you're bothered by these things, then the GOP's record should give you fits. There's too much of it to say it's just a one off and far too much expediency going around to let people say "Oh, I hate those things" while still supporting this party and their aims.

You've concisely stated all my grievances and why I "paint" with such a large brush.

I am a former Republican. I left the Republican party, as the bigoted, racist, religious zealots took over. I no longer recognize the republican party I grew up with and believed in.

• Fire 1

You've concisely stated all my grievances and why I "paint" with such a large brush.

I am a former Republican. I left the Republican party, as the bigoted, racist, religious zealots took over. I no longer recognize the republican party I grew up with and believed in.

Then a really easy way to not have distracting criticism is to label your grievances as being targeted towards the Republican party platform and many/most of those in power trying to implement it.

I feel similarly to evangelicalism. I can't stand for the underpinnings that are driving that institution anymore, but what I don't do is say, "evangelicals are _________" Why? Because I know so many evangelicals who are great people who I love, who love me, and who love others well. I've been in the wedding parties of evangelical friends. I've had evangelical friends who were the only people to be there and help when I was at rock bottom. I can testify to the character and convictions of enough people who refer to themselves as evangelicals that I find it inappropriate and unhelpful to define all evangelicals by the worst examples done in the name of evangelicalism.

• Fire 4

Then a really easy way to not have distracting criticism is to label your grievances as being targeted towards the Republican party platform and many/most of those in power trying to implement it.

I feel similarly to evangelicalism. I can't stand for the underpinnings that are driving that institution anymore, but what I don't do is say, "evangelicals are _________" Why? Because I know so many evangelicals who are great people who I love, who love me, and who love others well. I've been in the wedding parties of evangelical friends. I've had evangelical friends who were the only people to be there and help when I was at rock bottom. I can testify to the character and convictions of enough people who refer to themselves as evangelicals that I find it inappropriate and unhelpful to define all evangelicals by the worst examples done in the name of evangelicalism.

That's because, and I admit I'm assuming/projecting here, you're exactly the gender and racial demographic they want, meaning...white, heterosexual, male.

Try going to those same people as someone who is gay. Try going to them and being Transgender, Muslim, Jewish, etc.

My guess...you'll find your "welcome" to be far less positive.

I was an evangelical for almost a decade. Have plenty of gay, muslim, black, jewish, etc friends that I love dearly and that also love and trust me. Is that their experience with most evangelicals? I highly doubt it. Does that mean that evangelicals are homophobic anti-semites? Nope.