Texas Republicans

I was an evangelical for almost a decade. Have plenty of gay, muslim, black, jewish, etc friends that I love dearly and that also love and trust me. Is that their experience with most evangelicals? I highly doubt it. Does that mean that evangelicals are homophobic anti-semites? Nope.

I totally understand what you, zoogs, and others are saying, I really do. And I honestly want to believe there are good, decent, republicans out there...

It just seems though, every time I turn around, there is another group of Republicans passing legislation to take away someone else's rights and I'm so sick and tired of it.

What's worse, I don't see the rank and file republicans (as a general group) doing anything to stop these ridiculous, making discrimination legal, laws.

So if rank and file white male republicans aren't standing up en masse and saying, "No, this is wrong..." then they are just as guilty of the ignorance, bigotry, racism, and intolerance their elected officials are promoting.

Just once, I would love to see a rich, white male, republican get denied service at a restaurant and be told, "We don't serve 'your kind' here." To be denied a house loan because he's straight. To experience the kind of injustice, and denial of his basic humanity that people like me and countless others face on a daily basis.

I think white, republican males even think such broad discrimination against gays/trans, non-whites, non-Christians, non-white immigrants is acceptable because they've never experienced its devastating effects.

I think you're greatly undermining your own point, CM. Instead of pointing out how terrible this proposed bill is, and potentially getting people (including some Republican voters) to agree or debate the point, you've attacked all Texas Republicans and made the discussion about you and your attack.

Instead of asking what the Republicans on this board think, you instead start from the default position that they're going to be in favor of the bill with this line, "So if rank and file white male republicans aren't standing up en masse and saying, "No, this is wrong..." then they are just as guilty of the ignorance, bigotry, racism, and intolerance their elected officials are promoting." Maybe they haven't heard about the bill, or they've heard a different version of the bill that doesn't sound as discriminatory. You'd have a chance to get them to see a different side of the debate if you'd actually hear their side before jumping to conclusions.

• Fire 4

^Yeah, I agree with this. I see this as an opportunity to highlight what the party is doing and asking their supporters if this is what they really align with, and why. What you're doing instead is condemning their supporters as complicit -- which at some point isn't unfair, but in doing so, you also preclude the possibility of winning over people who just didn't know.

Politics gets very tribal, but going this route only amplifies the worst parts of it.

• Fire 1

I think you're greatly undermining your own point, CM. Instead of pointing out how terrible this proposed bill is, and potentially getting people (including some Republican voters) to agree or debate the point, you've attacked all Texas Republicans and made the discussion about you and your attack.

Instead of asking what the Republicans on this board think, you instead start from the default position that they're going to be in favor of the bill with this line, "So if rank and file white male republicans aren't standing up en masse and saying, "No, this is wrong..." then they are just as guilty of the ignorance, bigotry, racism, and intolerance their elected officials are promoting." Maybe they haven't heard about the bill, or they've heard a different version of the bill that doesn't sound as discriminatory. You'd have a chance to get them to see a different side of the debate if you'd actually hear their side before jumping to conclusions.

I get what you're saying, but discussing it over the internet, especially with republicans who do not live in Texas, seems kind of pointless?

And honestly, most people simply do not care (and that includes democrats also) because laws like what's being proposed does not affect them and it probably never will.

How do you get people to care about an issue that has literally zero impact on their life?

How do you get people to care about an issue that has literally zero impact on their life?

Good storytelling.

Yep. Once again any effectiveness at drawing attention to the point or the cause is lost by the over-generalizations and the inability to converse with nuance.

• Fire 1

I get what you're saying, but discussing it over the internet, especially with republicans who do not live in Texas, seems kind of pointless?

And honestly, most people simply do not care (and that includes democrats also) because laws like what's being proposed does not affect them and it probably never will.

You can't make people care. You can only make them aware, inform them of the facts, and argue the merits of the issue. But all of those things require that they first listen to you what you're saying.

Open Challenge:

If anyone can point out to me another group of people in America right now that are collectively as racist, homophobic, anti-poor, corrupt, money-grubbing, a-holes as white, "christian" republican men, I'm all ears.

Keep in mind whatever group you cite, they must be actively engaged in all of the following:

• trying to take health care away from the poor
  • exclude health coverage from people with pre-existing conditions
  • removing all consumer protection and privacy regulations
  • actively promoting discrimination through "religious freedom"
  • pushing an anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim agenda
  • doing away with all regulations designed to protect the environment
  • wants to abolish the minimum wage
  • promoting an all white, "christian" America

If ANYONE here on Husker Board can name me one single group of people in America who is engaged in all of these beliefs/practices..then, I will sincerely apologize and completely cease the "over-generalizing" about white male republicans.

I know I catch flack for what I say about republicans, but just because I'm voicing an opinion that you don't agree with, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I'm willing to change my views. I just want evidence of some other group of people doing the things white republican men are currently doing.

Open Challenge:

If anyone can point out to me another group of people in America right now that are collectively as racist, homophobic, anti-poor, corrupt, money-grubbing, a-holes as white, "christian" republican men, I'm all ears.

Keep in mind whatever group you cite, they must be actively engaged in all of the following:

If ANYONE here on Husker Board can name me one single group of people in America who is engaged in all of these beliefs/practices..then, I will sincerely apologize and completely cease the "over-generalizing" about white male republicans.

I know I catch flack for what I say about republicans, but just because I'm voicing an opinion that you don't agree with, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I'm willing to change my views. I just want evidence of some other group of people doing the things white republican men are currently doing.

the Klu Klux Klan?

the american Nazi party?

Brietbart magazine?

Open Challenge:

"keep in mind whatever group you cite must be doing these specific things the Republicans are doing" we get it, you think think the Republicans suck. Alot of people feel this way, but firstly you are creating a situation with a million qualifiers to try and make it seem like they are the worst people on earth, not a very fair practice, secondly you can't assume every Republican is this way. The very basis of that principle is flawed as it is generalizing ant group of people

Open Challenge:

The fallacy (and quite frankly offensive) part of your attitude and comments is that you assume that all "white Christian Republican men" believe in and push for the items you listed.

By doing so, you are falling into the same trap you are accusing the people you despise of.

• Fire 3