Alabama vs Note Dame 2012 BCS championship game

Watched the game last night.  There were many times that defensive backs stood about 10 yards from Amari Cooper!! Yes, Amari freaking Cooper!  The funny thing was Alabama didn't seem to exploit them so much through the air, or with bubble screens.  Alabama ran it through their teeth.  I thought that was impressive because ND had Te'o and Tuitt at LB and a stout D-line.  Aggressive blitzes were rarely called.  Definitely bend not break!  Hoping for the best, but after watching that game.  I expect us to stay the course with this 10 yards off the receiver jazz.  Hoping for the best, and ad always GBR!!!

• Plus1 2

I think that what we see is what we get.  (Note-odd that we are recruiting physical DB's who can play press, but not using press at all)  I do not think that Diaco plays chess while others are playing checkers.  His end goal is simply to make the opposing teams get one less point than we do.  That does equal wins, but I think it also allows for losses.........  McCarron was 20/28 with 264 yards passing....Bama ran 45 times for 265yrds and had 2 guys over 100 yards...The final score was 42-14.....That's called breaking...They had some impressive wins and had two that went into OT.  One of those was 3OT.  ND won both of those.  That's calling bending.....

Perhaps Bama was an anomaly.  That D seemed solid throughout the season.  NU has had several DC's, throughout numerous years and got pasted by a lot more than 42-14 by teams without near the firepower Bama had (on both sides of the ball).

Cally, Bo and Riley have collectively beaten the "we are holding something back" until later in the season.......Coaches coach to win.  Its that simple.  No coach holds back against the likes of SDSU, McNeese State or ASU in close games in the hopes to "let lose the dogs of war" against "better" competition.  I would LOVE for Diaco to prove me wrong and restore my hope that some coaches do actually have a method to the madness of their "limited" schemes.  But for now, I will be content that what we showed is what we are.  

• Plus1 2

If you go watch the OU vs ND game from 2012 the defense is clearly bend don't break. In fact, Fowler and Herbstreit consistently mention Diacos style of defense and how Landry Jones (or any good QB) can tear apart his defense with a good game. They had success early but the combination of bringing some pressure and making Jones' throwing windows so tight forced OU to make mistakes. That game is a great picture of how Diacos defense can be infuriating to watch but works great. Now, the question is how far our current talent is behind 2012 ND.

• Plus1 6
54 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Bold take but I think we come away from this game feeling a little better about the defense because we will limit the run and explosive plays by Oregon and force them into mistakes. I think we do enough defensively to win the game.

Hope you're right.  Our linebackers better be ready, Royce just might roll. We need to limit broken tackles still easier said then done.

1 hour ago, Sker4Ever said:

If you go watch the OU vs ND game from 2012 the defense is clearly bend don't break. In fact, Fowler and Herbstreit consistently mention Diacos style of defense and how Landry Jones (or any good QB) can tear apart his defense with a good game. They had success early but the combination of bringing some pressure and making Jones' throwing windows so tight forced OU to make mistakes. That game is a great picture of how Diacos defense can be infuriating to watch but works great. Now, the question is how far our current talent is behind 2012 ND.

Our linebackers are nowhere near the level of play of Note Dame 2012.  That's what worries me.  Especially with Oregon.  Stable of backs and loads of explosiveness/athletecism.

1 hour ago, huskerfan120889 said:

Oh joy, another sh#t on diaco's defense thread. Give it at least a few more games before this nonsense clutters up the entire board. 

Here is something sort through the board and stop complaining about a simple swipe of the thumb.  I'm using the 2012 game as an example of where the defense was at during the prime of his tenure. Many similarities between how it was then compared to how it is now.    Don't expect much of a change.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I think that what we see is what we get.  (Note-odd that we are recruiting physical DB's who can play press, but not using press at all)  I do not think that Diaco plays chess while others are playing checkers.  His end goal is simply to make the opposing teams get one less point than we do.  That does equal wins, but I think it also allows for losses.........  McCarron was 20/28 with 264 yards passing....Bama ran 45 times for 265yrds and had 2 guys over 100 yards...The final score was 42-14.....That's called breaking...They had some impressive wins and had two that went into OT.  One of those was 3OT.  ND won both of those.  That's calling bending.....

Perhaps Bama was an anomaly.  That D seemed solid throughout the season.  NU has had several DC's, throughout numerous years and got pasted by a lot more than 42-14 by teams without near the firepower Bama had (on both sides of the ball).

Cally, Bo and Riley have collectively beaten the "we are holding something back" until later in the season.......Coaches coach to win.  Its that simple.  No coach holds back against the likes of SDSU, McNeese State or ASU in close games in the hopes to "let lose the dogs of war" against "better" competition.  I would LOVE for Diaco to prove me wrong and restore my hope that some coaches do actually have a method to the madness of their "limited" schemes.  But for now, I will be content that what we showed is what we are.  

At the end of the day his philosophy is to limit explosive plays.  This is one of the most explosive/athletic teams in the entire country.  With as much inexperience as our current roster has in this defense, that's what worries me.  

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

That team gave up 18 touchdowns all year including 6 in that title game. They gave up like 1 rushing TD all season before that NC game so that defense was working pretty well for them prior to that game 

That's true that defense was highly regarded.  If we stop their explosiveness then we have a chance to win.  Now how many times can you say people have stopped Oregon from scoring highly and almost at will.  Everyone knows they can put up points.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

That's true that defense was highly regarded.  If we stop their explosiveness then we have a chance to win.  Now how many times can you say people have stopped Oregon from scoring highly and almost at will.  Everyone knows they can put up points.  

It will be tough but that is what this defense is designed to do .  We will find out how well they can do it very soon 

• Plus1 1