'97 Huskers Say 'Refuse to Lose' Attitude is Now Missing

Mavric

There was also an attitude around the program 20 years ago that former players don’t sense anymore. A refusal to lose. A controlled ego that flowed through Memorial Stadium where losing wasn’t an option.

Aaron Taylor, a lineman on the three championship teams, said he and teammates used to tell opponents what the upcoming play was. Even then they couldn’t be stopped, he said.

There is a story among former players about Davison and that 1997 season. On the flight to Seattle for Nebraska’s game against Washington, Davison leaned over to junior defensive lineman Chad Kelsay and whispered: “Do you think we will win?”

According to accounts, including Davison’s, Kelsay grabbed him by the throat. “Don’t ever say that again,” he responded.

Brown recalled in 1999, during the last conference title run, when Nebraska was crushing Southern Mississippi at halftime. The defense waited in the locker room for McBride to praise the performance. Instead, players were met with clipboards flying and expletives.

“I’m like, is he watching the same game we watched?” Brown said.

A few months later, McBride told Brown that he did it because they were playing so well, he didn’t know what else to say. But he also didn’t want them to let up.

That’s the mentality that’s missing from this current Nebraska program, Foreman said.

OWH

• Plus1 5

5 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

You have to have the athleticism to "refuse to lose"-and the coaching.

We have neither, hence lose.

We have more natural talent on our roster then Wisky, Iowa or even the recent really good Michigan St teams, and they seem to win just fine. Care to explain that? Attitude matters. This applies to life in general.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

You have to have the athleticism to "refuse to lose"-and the coaching.

We have neither, hence lose.

That is part of it sure, but having that attitude is a big piece of it too. Confidence and a mental edge is incredibly underrated in sports.  Everyone looks for only tangible answers in games that human beings play when there are many more factors at work.

5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We have more natural talent on our roster then Wisky, Iowa or even the recent really good Michigan St teams, and they seem to win just fine. Care to explain that? Attitude matters. This applies to life in general.

I don't understand why some fans seemingly enjoy insulting our guys.  We have athletes.  That's not the problem.  

And although I like the ownership attitude of the 97 guys, they inherited a program with swagger.  They certainly didn't invent it or create it.    

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was defending the talent on our team. I was being critical of their attitudes.

wasn't direct at you.  Sorry.  

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And although I like the ownership attitude of the 97 guys, they inherited a program with swagger.  They certainly didn't invent it or create it.    

wasn't direct at you.  Sorry.  

You're correct. They did fight off complacency, and there is something to be said for that, in my opinion.

Just now, Mavric said:

The "+" button under the post to the left of 'Quote', 'Edit', 'Options' is the mulite quote button.

I only get the one quote with the+-  It seems like if I quoted a post that was quoted, I should get both ?  Sorry, not very fluid with the new board.  

16 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I only get the one quote with the+-  It seems like if I quoted a post that was quoted, I should get both ?  Sorry, not very fluid with the new board.  

If you click the + on several posts, do you get a "Quote x posts" button in the bottom right?