***Official Northwestern Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

12 hours ago, jdhusker said:

Riley definitely embraces the underdog roll based on how his teams play. That's why I never understood the hire. The guy is a career underdog and was hired to win championship? Makes no sense 

Of all the myriad descriptions of the Riley coaching history, I think this is quite the best one:  "the underdog".   He has been the underdog nearly all of his coaching career and I tend to agree that is his mindset even at NU where he should have adopted a far more confident and 'favorite' attitude and demeanor.    From his very first pressers discussing 'playing something that looked a lot like 'football'", there was that subtle indication that he didn't really expect and believe he could win championships but was great to be able to talk about them without the entire audience bursting into laughter at the mere suggestion.  

Last night during the game, the absolute worst playcall and in game decision made, in my view, this season, came when the offense struggled mightily to move the ball down the field to about the 18 yard line, with a 7 point lead and just several minutes left in regulation, and had a first down and ten.  We have an exceptional reliable placekickers quite willing and able to 'win' the game by adding the 3 points of added seperation which effectively 'iced' the game for NU.  All that was required at that moment in the game was to conservatively and carefully and prudently run the ball in the most basic and safe running plays in the quite limited run play selection we have.  If we get a first down, great and continue to move it closer to the goal posts and set up the chip shot kick.  The last thing you do with the lead and the ball and time dwindling and everything going your way is to go 'underdog' and take unnecessary risks.   NO!   Let's throw an INT first play and make it interesting.

That is the Riley/Langs modus operandi - experience guided by learned failure = underdog.   We were underdogs in their minds no matter the score or circumstances.  A very comfortable role for them.  Thus, using a time out to preserve time in regulation I guess to help NW plan and prepare and rest for the final effort.

Indeed, in those unusual wins where NU had a somewhat comfortable lead, never once did we put the foot down on the throat and throttle the opponent.  In fact, as the underdog, it was almost Riley's way to apologize for daring to win the game over the favored opponent by seemingly trying everything to right fate and destiny and let the best team win so as to not disturb the universe or something.   Just never had the confidence and attitude to step into the winner's circle as if he deserved it.

i like Riley and have tried to be as supportive and 'benefit' of the doubt' as I can (always been a defense attorney of course) but losing last night was the final piece of evidence for me.   Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt!       

Edited by 84HuskerLaw