Top 10 Nicknames

Top 10 Nicknames

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers / Huskers: When you hear the word Cornhuskers or the shortened version ‘Huskers you immediately think of Nebraska football.

2. Alabama Crimson Tide: You almost always visualize a wool Houndstooth Hat when you hear Crimson Tide mentioned

3. Tennessee Volunteers / Vols: You rarely hear anything but Vols these days and when you do you see the checkerboard end zones.

4. Ohio State Buckeyes: Do you think of the tree or the nut? No. You think of those silver helmets and the horseshoe stadium on the banks of the Olentangy River.

5. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: No matter how many high schools use that name, you must think of the golden dome and touchdown Jesus when you hear Fighting Irish.

6. North Carolina Tar Heels: Yea, I think of basketball first but I also see that beautiful Carolina Blue when I hear Tar Heels.

7. Virginia Tech Hokies: I’ve heard about 10 different versions of where the name Hokies came from. All I know is that I think of Virginia Tech football when I hear it.

8. Arkansas Razorbacks: When the Arkansas fans call the Hogs, which they often do, you think of hard nosed football and Frank Broyles.

9. Oklahoma Sooners: Most people think of the small Boomer Schooner racing around the field when you hear Sooners mentioned.

10. Texas Longhorns: If you’re like me you see burnt orange and hands raised with the “hook-em-horns” sign when you hear Longhorns.

Honorable Mention:

Zips, Sun Devils, Bearcats, Blue Devils, Gators, Seminoles, Fighting Illini, Hoosiers, Hawkeyes, Jayhawks, Thundering Herd, Wolverines, Ragin Cajuns, Terrapins, Golden Gophers, Midshipmen, Mean Green, Boilermakers, Horned Frogs, Green Wave, Badgers

Top 10 Nicknames

2. Alabama Crimson Tide: You almost always visualize a wool Houndstooth Hat when you hear Crimson Tide mentioned

do you? i don't. i always think about that elephant they have as a mascot and try and figure out what it has to do with alabama and a 'crimson tide'.

Hack, it stems from the Elephant that was native to the Southeastern U.S. during the Harrison administration. Its scientific name was known as Pachadermus Confederus which loosely translated means "giant ant that will bite you continuously until you give up and go inside, or you move to Asia, where they have real elephants."

These ants had a rare 'crimson' menstrual cycle that turned Tuscaloosa into a varitable bloodbath, until locals realized their tear ducts produced the same color of fluid, which scared Alabamians, because these tear ducts were the only part of their psyche that was smart enough to realize they lived in one hell of a craphole state.