Frost on the Blackshirts

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I don't know, I mean, it is really for the starting defense.

I used to give awards after each game, one for defense and one for offense.  We had an amazing run of kicking ass so it was easy.  Then we started to suck and after one game I said "I don't know if I will give out awards for this game, I have to think about it"

I thought about it and realized it was stupid...the kids played hard they just got beat by a better team...so come Monday at practice I gave out the awards.

I think I tried making it more than it was...

This is why I sometimes get a bit flustered by the mythos surrounding the blackshirts, particularly when it turns into an absurd distraction. It opens the whole concept up to mockery.

I could be wrong, but I doubt a bad defensive performance in the 80's turned into long-winded diatribes about pulling the team's blackshirts, but that seems to happen with regularity nowadays.

IMO, don't make it into something it isn't from the start. Hand them out and then foster a culture that makes them mean something more.

• Plus1 3