UT Game

UT Game

By the time October 21st rolls around the players, coaches and fans of the Nebraska Cornhuskers should have a very good idea as to the program's status as a legitimate contender within the Big 12 and beyond. If, however, there is still a degree of uncertainty in regards to whether or not the 'Huskers are for real, what happens on that day in Memorial Stadium should make things a whole lot clearer.

On that date, the defending national champions make their visit and while they may not be as superb as they were in 2005, rest assured that Texas will be very, very formidable this season. Some of the stars from last year's 13-0 team, most notably that dynamic quarterback named Vince Young are gone, but once again, the Texas Longhorns have a great deal of experience and talent throughout the roster. Of course, they also bring yet another stellar recruiting class.

Those who say that the Longhorns chances of a repeat are somewhat slim may point Young's replacement, which will likely be an inexperienced underclassman. Jevan Snead, a true freshman, and Colt McCoy, a red-shirt freshman, are the two front runners for the starting job in the eyes of many of those who follow Texas closely. Snead and/or McCoy will have time to progress, as there will be a whole lot of talent all around whoever is at QB.

The offensive line should be massive and will have its share of skilled veterans. That line should also be of a big aid to the running backs crew, which could be led by sophomore Jamaal Charles who rushed for 878 yards last season. Charles is also a standout in the 100 and 200 meters for the Longhorn's track and field team. The wide receiving chart is deep with 6-foot 5-five junior Limas Sweed returning. Sweed caught eight passes the Longhorns' 41-38 win over USC in the Rose Bowl on January 4th.

On the defensive side of the ball, Texas is - you guessed it - loaded with gifted athletes. The Nebraska offensive line had better be in sync when Texas rolls into town or it's going to be a very harsh day for the Cornhuskers' offensive weapons. Defensive ends Brian Robison and Tim Crowder are both tremendous players who recorded 58 and 50 tackles, respectively, last year. Robison also notched seven sacks in 2005.

Add in players like junior defensive tackle Frank Okam (48 tackles last season) and you figure why opposing offensive coordinators have their work cut out for them, to say the least. Texas is stacked in the defensive backfield as well with senior safety Michael Griffin ready to attack consistently. Griffin paced the Longhorns with 124 tackles last fall.

Will the 'Huskers show Texas that the power is back in the Big 12 North? Further, will the game on October 21st be the first of two meetings between these programs this fall?

The UT and USC games are excellent barometers of where our program is heading. Even close losses to the #1 & 2 teams of last year are indicative of improvement. I hope both games are showcases for improved running and O line play for NU. Or just good game planning and adapting to whatever the opposing D shows a weakness in defending against be it the run or possession passing.

GBR

but the Mizzou and Kansas games still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

:restore:restore:restore:restore

great thing about a new season is you get to cleanse your mouth out over the off season at least I hope you have <_<

that being said. Which happened last? The two sorry uncalled for losses or the two damn good wins. I think we all know the two wins. Lets focus on how we ended last season not how we started or that streak of losses. Our team showed that they are overcomers in the end. Lets take that and run with it! :thumbs

The article was right about the whole O-line thing for Nebraska!!! I hope they have improved a lot over last year I don't think I can watch Taylor taking the same shots he did last year!!! If they are so deep in their defensive backfield then this should show us how good our offense really is!!! From passing to running I know we are going to be able to pass but to tell you the truth with all of the running backs we have I can't wait to see what our offensive backfield does!! :box

agreed, hopefull by the UT game one of the running backs will emerge from the pack and be the man, no matter who it is it will be nice to have all of the fresh legs on the side waiting to come in and get some yards.

IMHO, the way to beat Texas is to use our backs on counters and out of the backfield as receivers.......to beat their defense we will have to really spread the field and spread the ball around......let's see if cally can out coach old Mack in his first attempt, cause that is the only way we will beat these guys........

hunter

First off I would like to say hello to everyone. Okay I am not a huge husker fan but have all the respect in the world for Nebraska, I just hope yall win the North to play my Sooners I miss those games so much. By the way I hope yall take it to USC and UT.

thanks for the kind words......i think most all of us Husker fans miss our old rivalry with you guys.....imagine if they canceled the "Red River Shoot-out"......and played the game only every 2 years instead of every season......we feel the same way.......

hunter

I seriously think that despite their overwhelming talent, UT is beatable. Especially if you're playing at Memorial. (I don't remember where you play this year). Provided you CAN beat them, I think you'll take the North.

As far as the South goes, no disrespect to soonerborn, but I think the South is gonna be a tossup this year betweem UT, OU, with Tech still posing a threat, and if I was delusional, A&M also...although OU I think holds a slight edge.

BTW, Sooner, do you post on TexAgs also? Your moniker sounds familiar.

First off I would like to say hello to everyone. Okay I am not a huge husker fan but have all the respect in the world for Nebraska, I just hope yall win the North to play my Sooners I miss those games so much. By the way I hope yall take it to USC and UT.

I think that is what it will end up being, NU-OU for the Big 12. The way it was meant to be when they drew up the plans for the conference!