Little Danny Martin

In the 1958 movie, "The Blob," as the growing, evil monster is making its way toward the townspeople, chasing some of them out of a theater, the guns and cannons aimed at it are having little to no effect.  At one point a little boy, still in his pyjamas, runs into the scene and aims his cap gun at the menace and fires several little shots.  I remember my girlfriend sobbing a little cry at the whole notion of that little boy's sincerity and effort to save the day with his cap gun. 

Little Danny Martin might as well have been wearing Husker gear.  Last night's game I watched incredulously as Husker "Blackshirts" were carried down the field by the ball carrier for huge after-hit gains.  I don't know why I'm still surprised at seeing that.  And then, of course, there is the O-line.  :dunno

Sipple's column this morning stated that one of the important concerns with this team is that the players are not responding to the coach's words.  To me the question is, are they doing their very best but all they have is little Danny Martin's cap gun?  Or are the players just not putting their whole effort on the field? 

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the players are already tuning Frost and Co out, than this is about to go down in flames. We better hope that's not the case.

Especially with the youth we have on the 2 deep.......If the team is tuning him out, this is not something that will go away overnight (be fixed easily). 

I think it might be this as well.  I'll use Jurgen as an example.  I come to NU as a center.  I am recruited as a center.  I bust my butt (assumption).  I work all spring and fall.  AND then a week before the season, Frost announces that a converted TE will take snaps and be the starter.  Even though he has been out all camp with injuries....The season starts and snaps are all over the place.  Negatively impacting the offense.  And here I am, watching this and I'm like WTF?  Others (players/friends) see this and wonder the same thing.  Insert the "Frost playing favorites" dialogue....IMHO, that's inevitable.  Maybe this is causing friction at some level....Or you preach in practice you have to perform and I'm a backup, watching the starter get owned more often than not and continually make bone headed penalties....Or I am a smart player and I watch the ILB in front of me continually over pursue....

All of that to say, from the outside in, I can see where there might be some murmurs on the team and them thinking blah, blah, blah......