What Political/History Books are You Reading?

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

The last political book I read was Franklin's autobiography. If you haven't, it's a must read. Very, very good book. I picked it up for a dollar or maybe free on Kindle.

61CqQMY7mxS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

One I liked but never actually finished is The Art of Power. As far as I read Meacham gives an excellent, and indepth look at Jefferson's formative years. As well as the general atmosphere during the revolution.

81G1ILZqYyL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Been meaning to start this one for sometime.

Grant_(Chernow_book_-_cover_art).jpg

Speaking of Grant - I read American Ulysses by Ronald C White. I came away with a greater respect and appreciation for him not only for his role in the Civil War ( I think the Union loses without him even though he didn’t always win the battles- some being horrendous loses but he kept learning) but also as President. 

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I work with a PhD in English.  His reading appetite is insane.  6-8 different books at one time.  

I can't remember the last time I read a book.

Yes I have heard of people who have that speed reading thing down and do a book a day with comprehension. I’m not that smart or fast to comprehend :blink:

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes I have heard of people who have that speed reading thing down and do a book a day with comprehension. I’m not that smart or fast to comprehend :blink:

He doesn't speed read really...just reads one, stops, grabs another, reads, stops and so on.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 9:09 PM, TGHusker said:

Speaking of Grant - I read American Ulysses by Ronald C White. I came away with a greater respect and appreciation for him not only for his role in the Civil War ( I think the Union loses without him even though he didn’t always win the battles- some being horrendous loses but he kept learning) but also as President. 

"I can't spare this man; he fights."

Abe