What Political/History Books are You Reading?

Book list to go along with the Political forum discussion.  I'm more of a history buff than a current political reader.  Current political books are all full of their

biases - full of well 'politics'.  History can sometimes see through those current biases. 

I just started this book about Bobby Kennedy.  Someone I had wanted to win in 1968 (yes as a grade school-er I had an interest in politics and history)

511kBPYfxJL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've been reading this one for some time.  A very detailed book at the influence of Christianity on the world - a historical look at how that 'mustard seed' has grown into a big tree (recalling Jesus' parable).  This book is not written from a religious perspective but from a historical perspective.  Very interesting but very detailed also.

from Amazon:

Crucifixion, the Romans believed, was the worst fate imaginable. It was this that rendered it so suitable a punishment for slaves. How astonishing it was, then, that people should have come to believe that one particular victim of crucifixion-an obscure provincial by the name of Jesus-had been a god. Dominion explores the implications of this shocking conviction as they have reverberated throughout history.

Today, the West remains utterly saturated by Christian assumptions. Our morals and ethics are not universal. Instead, they are the fruits of a very distinctive civilization. Concepts such as secularism, liberalism, science, and homosexuality are deeply rooted in a Christian seedbed. From Babylon to the Beatles, Saint Michael to #MeToo, Dominion tells the story of how Christianity transformed the world.

Review

"This lively, capacious history of Christianity emphasizes the extent to which the religion still underpins Western liberal values."―New Yorker

"A galloping tour of Christianity's influence across the last 2,000 years, with vivid vignettes scattered across the centuries, and a concluding argument the Christian faith, 'the most influential framework for making sense of human existence that has ever existed,' still shapes the way that even the most secular modern people think about the world."―Ross Douthat, New York Times

"A sweeping narrative.... [Holland] is an exceptionally good storyteller with a marvelous eye for detail... excellent fun."―The Economist

"An absorbing survey of Christianity's subversive origins and enduring influence is filled with vivid portraits, gruesome deaths and moral debates...Holland has all the talents of an accomplished novelist: a gift for narrative, a lively sense of drama and a fine ear for the rhythm of a sentence."―the Guardian (UK)

"An engaging book."―The Times (UK)

"Christianity may not be on the march, but its principles continue to dominate in much of the world; this thoughtful, astute account describes how and why... Holland delivers penetrating, often jolting discussions on great controversies of Western civilization in which war, politics, and culture have formed a background to changes in values... An insightful argument that Christian ethics, even when ignored, are the norm worldwide."―Kirkus Reviews (starred)

"An exhaustive, demanding and hugely impressive interpretation of our past, bursting with fresh ideas and perspectives on every page."―The Sunday Times

"An ambitious account of the history and enduring influence of Christianity. Holland argues that the modern world has been shaped by the consequences of the life and death of Jesus."―Daily Mail ("The Year's Most Essential Books")

"What in other hands could have been a dry pedantic account of Christianity's birth and evolution becomes in Holland's an all-absorbing story.... It takes a master storyteller to translate the development of a philosophical notion into a captivating story, and Holland proves to be one.... Holland offers a remarkably nuanced and balanced account of two millennia of Christian history -- intellectual, cultural, artistic, social and political. The book's scope is breathtaking."―The Literary Review

"A masterpiece of scholarship and storytelling, Dominion surpasses Holland's earlier books in its sweeping ambition and gripping presentation.... Dominion presents a rich and compelling history of Christendom."―The New Statesman

About the Author

Tom Holland is an award-winning historian of the ancient world, a translator of Greek classical texts, and a documentary writer. He is the author of six other books, including Rubicon, recipient of the Hessell-Tiltman Prize for History and shortlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize, and Persian Fire, winner of the Anglo-Hellenic League's Runciman Award. He contributes regularly to the Guardian, the Times of London, the Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times. He lives in London.

41mf11rmz7L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Thanks 1

A couple that I've either read, am reading or are on my list to get to that I would recommend to others:

The Death of Expertise: The Campaign against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters by Tom Nichols

51WkdvDbtNL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nichols is an ex-GOPer who left the party due to Trump but also teaches at Harvard Extension School and the U.S. Naval War College. He is an extremely knowledgeable foreign policy mind. The topic of the book is fairly straightforward: Why is there a movement explicitly about rejecting expertise and deference to experts and why is it harmful?

Why the Right Went Wrong: Conservatism - From Goldwater to the Tea Party and Beyond by E.J. Dionne, Jr.

51Ef+WkO8IL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I cannot remember where I found this book as a recommended piece of reading, but it was certainly worth the time. It takes a transparently critical look at the transformation of the GOP from Goldwater in the 1964 election through 2016 to see how the party has changed over time and how it affects the rest of us. This book was published in 2016 but he has written a couple books post-Trump that I may have to look into.

The Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman

41+-rv0sYWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Krugman is a fantastic author who has published many books interweaving politics and economics. This book is an overview of the 8 decades or so of American politics prior to its publishing in 2007 and how it had changed us as a nation. Krugman also gives his personal opinions on these changes, liberalism in the United States and how it can improve lives for everyday Americans.

The New Politics of Inequality by Thomas Byrne Edsall

51GN72JGZcL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I picked this up on a recommendation in Krugman's above book The Conscience of a Liberal as an insightful look into changes that were occurring in our political system in the 1970s and 1980s. In particular I was interested in the ideological shift, or as some would call it, radicalization, of the GOP that coincided with Reagan being swept into power.

The New Deal: A Modern History by Michael Hiltzik

51QG6mQ+7bL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I picked this up because I wanted some historical perspective on FDR and the New Deal and why so many liberals still hold him in such high regard today as an ideological icon. I thought Hiltzik did a great job covering FDR fairly including both the successes and the failures of his time as president.

I've also got several other political books sitting around waiting for me to get to, including The View from Flyover Country: Dispatches from the Forgotten America by Sarah Kendzior, several of Krugman's previous books as well as the newest books published in the past couple years by both Krugman and Dionne Jr. They both regularly publish fairly good newspaper columns - Krugman for the New YorkTimes and Dionne for Washington Post - if you don't mind frequent biting criticism of the GOP. Krugman's transition in particular from apolitical economist to unabashed liberal bombthrower with lots of econ bonafides has been interesting to watch.

Political and history books are great because you can usually find lots of books new and old with lots to offer and acquire a lot of knowledge for very little money.

I'm reading 2 U.S. history books.  One is from 1927 by Wilbur Fisk Gordy.  It's an interesting perspective to read a US history book from the 1920s.  The other is a Reader's Digest book called The Story of America.

I started reading The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker.  Still on chapter 1, but I think it's going to be a good one.

On the last chapter of The First People in a New World by David J. Meltzer.  This is one of the best books I've read in a while.  The chapters that covered climatology and genetics were a bit over my head, but it's a fascinating look at the peopling of the Americas by one of the top experts in the field.  If you're into archeology at all, I'd recommend putting it on your list.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, Danny Bateman said:

Political and history books are great because you can usually find lots of books new and old with lots to offer and acquire a lot of knowledge for very little money

Danny, you had a great list.  We have Oklahoma's largest bookstore (used or new) about 6 miles down the road from where I live.  I have built a good hunk of my library from this used bookstore - either paying cash or using 'trade in ' credit.  My wife keeps telling me I need to 'thin the herd' but I resist. Never know when I might want to re-read them.  Besides, I'm nearing retirement(5 years) and I need some good reading material in retirement too.  So I'm saving up for then.

18 hours ago, Fru said:

image.thumb.jpeg.40d62ba8a760e462513f47f58c4e9e59.jpeg

I’m slowly getting my way through this. JPK led an incredible life. Very Shakespearean figure.

Yes, very interesting book and of course family

• Plus1 2
On 5/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, Danny Bateman said:

Nichols is an ex-GOPer who left the party due to Trump but also teaches at Harvard Extension School and the U.S. Naval War College. He is an extremely knowledgeable foreign policy mind. The topic of the book is fairly straightforward: Why is there a movement explicitly about rejecting expertise and deference to experts and why is it harmful?

The bold is a great question.  I think the simple answer is: dictators (and other control freaks, narcissistic personalities) won't allow it.  Dictators live in the world of mis-information, of control of knowledge.  Tribalism also fosters the movement as well. 

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The bold is a great question.  I think the simple answer is: dictators (and other control freaks, narcissistic personalities) won't allow it.  Dictators live in the world of mis-information, of control of knowledge.  Tribalism also fosters the movement as well. 

Definitely. I find it to be a central question surrounding our politics at the moment and find his arguments about it very compelling. It definitely has society-wide implications.

It is unfortunate that ignorance has been glorified by the president as a way of maintaining power.

• Fire 1
  • 3 years later...

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm about 1/3 of the way through this.

81yfsIOijJL._SY466_.jpg

Very good.  I'm at the point of them starting the bomb project.  It really has detailed why some in the government didn't want him on the project.

Very interesting.  

588 pages.  :facepalm:

That is a good one - I haven't read it but thought about getting it.  

The last political book I read was Franklin's autobiography. If you haven't, it's a must read. Very, very good book. I picked it up for a dollar or maybe free on Kindle.

61CqQMY7mxS._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

One I liked but never actually finished is The Art of Power. As far as I read Meacham gives an excellent, and indepth look at Jefferson's formative years. As well as the general atmosphere during the revolution.

81G1ILZqYyL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Been meaning to start this one for sometime.

Grant_(Chernow_book_-_cover_art).jpg

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

My problem is that I just started to get back into reading and it’s so long. I don’t spend hours a night reading.  

I’ll finish it though. 

Tell me how it read in 2027:D

I know some weighty books take a while and my bad habit is that I read 2-3 books at the same time - 1 historical 1 spiritual 1 health related are in the works now. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Tell me how it read in 2027:D

I know some weighty books take a while and my bad habit is that I read 2-3 books at the same time 

I work with a PhD in English.  His reading appetite is insane.  6-8 different books at one time.  

I can't remember the last time I read a book.

• Plus1 1