56 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Agree with William's, we had a slew of "under the radar" talent on our D...thinking of Doug Colman as an example

NU fans alive during the hey day were all so spoiled with the talent we had in the 80's and 90's.  70's (I was too young to remember) We were 2 -3 deep at most if not every position....Crazy

14 hours ago, lo country said:

NU fans alive during the hey day were all so spoiled with the talent we had in the 80's and 90's.  70's (I was too young to remember) We were 2 -3 deep at most if not every position....Crazy

Not crazy.  Reality.  That is the basic problem the program has suffered for 20 years.  To rebuild the team, Frost has to recruit, recruit and recruit.  The process is on-going and endless.  

We probably are roughly half way to a good two deep and 5 years away from a full 2 deep and 8 years (need a couple Big Ten titles along the way) to get three deep across most spots.  

In fairness to the coaches over the years, hard to win without talent.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not crazy.  Reality.  That is the basic problem the program has suffered for 20 years.  To rebuild the team, Frost has to recruit, recruit and recruit.  The process is on-going and endless.  

We probably are roughly half way to a good two deep and 5 years away from a full 2 deep and 8 years (need a couple Big Ten titles along the way) to get three deep across most spots.  

In fairness to the coaches over the years, hard to win without talent.  

I would agree with you.  You look at the top programs today and they have at least 2 deep at most positions.  NU currently, TBH, has some of our starters that might not make the 2 deep at other top programs.  Frost has recruiting going in the right direction. Just need to develop them....Another issue is our S&C, Boyd in a recent article takes some parting shots at the former staff and how much disarray they left Duval with (and the current spot is not big enough).  Link here:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-6-epley-says-husker-strength-coach-duval-has-adjusted-well-to-not-ideal/article_f17ef378-4623-59f6-bb36-19fe355e76a3.amp.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, lo country said:

I remember looking at NFL careers a few years ago for the starters from the '95 defense.  I believe all but one started at least one NFL game at some point in their careers.  Sure, not hall of fame material, but just getting to the point of starting an NFL game is a pretty significant accomplishment.  I think Farley was the only one that didn't accomplish that.  And it had nothing to do with his talent level.

But the rest - Wistrom, Tomich, C. Peter, J. Peter, J. Williams, Coleman/Ellis (whichever), T. Williams, Booker, Minter, and Veland.  Veland and Coleman/Ellis may have only just made rosters and maybe played as backups, but I'm pretty sure the rest started at least one game in the NFL

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 6/28/2020 at 12:11 PM, lo country said:

I would agree with you.  You look at the top programs today and they have at least 2 deep at most positions.  NU currently, TBH, has some of our starters that might not make the 2 deep at other top programs.  Frost has recruiting going in the right direction. Just need to develop them....Another issue is our S&C, Boyd in a recent article takes some parting shots at the former staff and how much disarray they left Duval with (and the current spot is not big enough).  Link here:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-6-epley-says-husker-strength-coach-duval-has-adjusted-well-to-not-ideal/article_f17ef378-4623-59f6-bb36-19fe355e76a3.amp.html

Most of NU starters over past decade would not make a 4 deep chart at Clemson, Bama, Ohio State frankly.  Some would not have been walkons.  

We have some pretty decent players and we are getting better but still a long way to go to get back to the Osborne caliber teams.