Will COVID Trigger a Massive College Football Realignment?

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe we can start with a small step.  Maybe we can start by kicking Rutgers out of the Big 10??   Other than TV sets, - Why are they in this conference?   And I really wonder how many people watch them.   I think this was one big bad step by the Big 10.   

This was confusing to me as well. They had a justification- maybe basketball? Maybe eastern interest? But that’s kind of a joke. Does the greater NY area care about anything but baseball? 

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This was confusing to me as well. They had a justification- maybe basketball? Maybe eastern interest? But that’s kind of a joke. Does the greater NY area care about anything but baseball? 

Seems like there would have been more worthy east coast - Mid Atlantic  teams they could have tried to steal away from another conf - VA Tech comes to mind

36 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Seems like there would have been more worthy east coast - Mid Atlantic  teams they could have tried to steal away from another conf - VA Tech comes to mind

And Maryland too. Understand their basketball history, but seems like a weird with those uniforms and all. 

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

They wanted the NY and NJ Tv sets.  Those people for the most part could care less about Rutgers football, but they are paying subscribers to cable tv and one of the channels they pay for (B1G) plays Rutger football every Saturday.  Are they watching?...no.  Are they paying?....yes.  It is all about the money.  The B1G could care less about who actually watches their network, they only care about who PAYS for their network.  And one of the biggest paying markets is in NYC for obvious population reasons. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

With the NYC market, Rutgers is worth more to the B1G than pretty much everyone outside of Ohio State

This will never happen, but here is my insane idea to 'fix it all':

• Make G5 schools have their own playoff and National Champion and only play each other for their seasons.
  • Each P5 conference will have 14 teams (7 in East and West divisions)
  • Each P5 team will play all 6 of their divisional rivals each season and 3 games from other power 5 teams that are randomly picked lotto-ball style two years in advance. Three of their games will be against the opposite divisional teams on a rotating basis for a total of 12 season games.
  • Divisional Champions will be determined each season by best record, head-head tie-breaker rules enforced...no coin flips.
  • Each conference will crown it's champion by a conference championship game between the divisional champion teams.
  • The P5 schools will all play for a National Championship via a 6 game playoff (#1-2 ranked teams get a bye the first game).  Five of the playoff teams will be the 5 conference champions and the 6th team will be the wild card team that is selected via committee (typically the best record outside the 5 conference champions, can be a conference championship runner-up).

And there you have it.  We can all sigh and relax in this beautiful flawless system of perfection.  Anybody who wants an 8 team playoff can take a long walk off a short pier for each conference will always have a rep in the playoff and there will be room for a wildcard team, or a team that makes the most noise during the season but does not win their conference. 

• Plus1 1