2020 Blackshirts

knapplc

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

This whole "earn it" thing is nonsense. 

That's an odd take, since that was supposedly how the Blackshirt tradition started.

"...the black pullovers were given only to first-team defenders, as a way to motivate those on the lower units.

Initially, the black pullovers were distributed each day at practice and collected afterward. A player might have a black pullover one day and a gray one the next. They had to continually be earned."

https://huskers.com/news/2018/1/26/211694410.aspx

• Plus1 3

Just now, ScarletRevival said:

That's an odd take, since that was supposedly how the Blackshirt tradition started.

"...the black pullovers were given only to first-team defenders, as a way to motivate those on the lower units.

Initially, the black pullovers were distributed each day at practice and collected afterward. A player might have a black pullover one day and a gray one the next. They had to continually be earned."

https://huskers.com/news/2018/1/26/211694410.aspx

The team started the season with Blackshirts, per that article.

Where does it say that?

What part of "They continually had to be earned" did you not understand?

I don't care if a player gains or loses their Blackshirt during the year. I care that they hand them out before the season starts and they don't perpetuate this circus, which breeds threads like this every year. Whether a player gets moved up or down from starter to backup throughout the year is an internal matter.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It did. Read the link I provided. Babcock reported it in another story.

I don't see it.

The best I come up (from the Babcock account): "Whenever they were first used in practice, the black mesh vests were handed out at the start and turned in afterward. On occasion, they could even be changed during practice."

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, ScarletRevival said:

I don't see it.

The best I come up (from the Babcock account): "Whenever they were first used in practice, the black mesh vests were handed out at the start and turned in afterward. On occasion, they could even be changed during practice."

Here you go

A newspaper account indicated the team was divided before the start of spring drills in 1964, half working under Kelly and Jim Ross, half under Corgan and Carl Selmer. Also according to the account, black and gold scrimmage vests would be used by the first- and second-team defensive units, respectively, red and green vests used by the first- and second-team offensive units.

When is the first game of the season played?

What's your contention here? That under Devaney, they divided the defense into four groups in the Spring, the top unit was the Blackshirts, but in Fall camp they took the Blackshirts away for... reasons? Or whatever?

If you have some source that shows that, please share.

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

They should just do what they decide to do as a team and use it the way they want to regardless of what media or fans think. It means more for the players than anyone else (regardless of how obsessive we all are) and they should make it what they want.

My vote for best post in the thread 

• Plus1 2