Crazy recruiting stories.

Anyone have any crazy recruiting stories? Back in the day, it was like the old west out there. All the hoops and rules and regulations of the NCAA sure have taken the color out of the recruiting battle. 

I’m located in South Louisiana. My dear friend and former co-teacher at one of the two  public schools in this area and huge Rajun Cajun fan(LSU hater), told me a story about LSU sending a helicopter to our high school (New Iberia Senior High) to recruit Leroy Etienenne. Says he has a Polaroid shot of it and hopes he can find it.  We started talking this am via text because 1. Were off school and bored and  2. Rumor about Cajun’s coach Billy Napier turning down the Auburn job for the soon to open Alabama job. Complete rumor of course, but we started to talk about available talent and how talent rich this particular area is for the size. Not real sure, but I think there is about ten local kids from two public schools and one small private that are on a division one rosters. There may be more. my point is, lots of talent is available. I wish we could get a foot in the door here again. I’m not sure how we ever had one in the first place. 

Decades later, Corey Raymond inadvertently wandered into my classroom(2012ish) while at Nebraska. He was recruiting someone(?) but then both of them went to LSU. I think he was quite suprised to find an avid Husker fan in some random classroom. I hope he felt guilty  because he was recruiting on our dollar. 

I know that there was a ton of stories with recruiting Turner Gill. If you have any funny or unusual recruiting stories, please share. 

• Plus1 1

Huskers had Marshall Faulk in for a visit.  He was worried that we wanted him to play defense when he wanted to play running back.  Osborne and company were trying to assure him they wanted him at RB.  While they were on a tour the met one of the defensive coaches in the hall.  The defensive coach said something to the effect of "how's my next DB?".

Faulk didn't come to Nebraska.

PJ Fleck flew around the metro area here in MN recruiting kids. He flew to our stadium to watch/make appearance for the kid from Edina (that signed with Notre Dame) and went down to Lakeville North to watch Bryce Benhart (that signed with the Huskers)...haha! Fleck is such a tool. That little trip didn't work out so well for him since he missed out on the top two lineman in the state!