BCS

USCfan

What does everyone think of the BCS?

I am not in favor of a playoff system, I know I am in the minority. A playoff system will hurt the kids' studies and drag the season out way too long.

I think the BCS is bad, but at least it gets the #1 and #2 teams to play each other. Before that, college football was run by spots journalists and their polls. And they always voted for the same teams--michigan, Ohio St. Miami, Florida St,.....yeah.. USC too..hahaha. And that's not right.

I am probably the only human being in the USA who defends the BCS...haha..but I just would hate to see a playoff system.

mikerozier8x10neb.gif

Make every team belong to a conf.Take out the preseason patsies and the conf.championship games, use the bowl system as a playoff system and the bcs bowls as the tourny finals. Would that satisfy everyone, I doubt it. teams might lose revenue and fans would lose some games to watch as in home games.

This is the question that comes up every year. How can we get a true champion? the answer is: I do not know. Some think the current system is fair others think it is bull sh#t.

Good topic though, it should or could generate some lively discussion.

I agree, do you oppose every team belonging to a conf. so that everyone has to get past their conf. champ. game

Outside of conf champions would depend on certain factors. I mean there is a lot to debate here. but it could be done to most everyones liking.

I think every conference should either have the conference championship game or none should have it. It has been unfair that Nebraska, OU, Tennessee, and even Texas a few years ago get knocked out of the national championship. If that means add more teams, then do it. Pac 10 add 2 teams. Big "11" add one. Big East add four or five or whatever. Just make it fair all the way around.

I don't see why a tourney would take so much longer than what the regular bowl season does already. The championship game is scheduled for the 7th or 8th of January and the first bowl game is like the 18th of December. That is roughly four weeks where a tourney could take place in. An eight team tourney would need about 15 days to complete and a 16 team tourney would need about 22. There is plenty of time for the tourney so that kids don't miss school.

No playoffs. Bowls are cool, and IMHO a great system. With playoffs, every team but one comes out with a loss to end their season. Not really healthy, in my opinion.

But SI's Stewart Mandel suggested having a NC game in addition to the bowls; maybe a championship pitting the best two of the BCS bowl winners, or a 4-team mini-tourney. Not too plausible, but better options, I think, than a full-blown playoffs system.

Kid, I concur with 4 teams. The NC picture is always about THREE teams usually anyway.

It's never about 8 or 16. Everyone knows who the top 2 or 3 teams are by the bowl season. Add teh 4th in the BCS. The champ. game becomes teh top BCS game, and you could even have a "consolation game," as th 2nd BCS game. The first round become independent of the bowls.

You can't get rid of the bowls. First, they are set up as business entities, most with full-time, year round staffs.