NU and the Red Zone

lo country

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have to admit, I'm not a fan of zone blocking.

I wasn't either- always coached gap blocking schemes. NU ran both during the Osborne era- but we had most likely the best college o--line coach of all time in Milt. And he had help too with Dan Young- also a great coach

ALSO IF you want to get highly ranked O-linemen  to come to your school who want to play in the NFL or even Running Backs who have NFL aspirations- you better be running lots of zone. It is what it is. 

You can be aggressive and coach zone blocking. NU did a lot of zone blocking- more so later in TOs career. Note we ran a lot more one back looks later. 

Milt Tenopir on Oline tech- zone blocking: "Milt Tenopir, the legendary offensive line coach under Tom Osbourne at Nebraska, believed in the same philosophy of having his covered offensive lineman really work to get to the second level.  "If our linemen is covered, we let him cross over on his second step as long as it's up field," said Tenopir.  "He wants to get started up field because he is going to come off on the next level.  We call it a 'rip-to-reach' because we used to take the inside arm and rip it across the outside arm of the defender.  We are trying to put both hands on the far shoulder pad.  It keeps our shoulders pointed up field."

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/O-Line--Blocking-the-Stretch-Outside-Zone-Scheme.html?soid=1104030277664&aid=v0EARWuEDnQ

17 hours ago, lo country said:

I watched it.  TBH, all I heard was blah, blah, blah.  The same crap after everyone of our 23 previous losses.  He just seems more pi$$ed now.  No solutions.  Just more angry.  And I can't blame him.  And IMHO, the only way to fix it is move on from some of the O staff.  When Frost says he is going to help with the OL, it takes him away from the CEO mode and is helping to coach an area where he has his kids and his guy coaching.  Frost is spread to this as it is.  Needs to find assistance that can handle their business.

He doesn't really operate as a true CEO though.  He neglects Special Teams, and his 3+ years have also shown he doesn't pay much attention the the D...that's Chin.  Him focusing on the O Line is no problem with me.  He's been oversight MIA on key team aspects already.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, lo country said:

It’s not negative crap.  It’s data that shows we have some serious issues and have for 4 years.  We are 5-15 in games closer than one score.  Have yet to win an OT game under Frost.  Taking emotions and “cherry picking”  there is nothing 4 years of data that shows we can make those few plays to be ranked.  And that’s concerning.  We have 20 games by one score or less and have one 25%.  Even if we were average, we’d have won 5 more......It is the “little” things, but in year 4 we are still missing the little things ie punting to the wrong guy......Honestly, how does that happen.  How do we not do the basics of running towards where the ball is vs where it should be.  Holding your lane. That’s JR High stuff....and we still can’t get it right. 

Thanks for the note lo and I agree that highlighting the fact that games are being lost in Year 4 on the basis of correctable errors is not negative, but justified.  If we can all agree to dispense with the ridiculous notion that there is a significant talent gap between NU and others in our league, than it is reasonable to lay responsibility for our current state on those coaching the team.  Consequently, it is then reasonable to assume that we will always be "a few plays away" from success during the tenure of this staff as mistakes the kind of which that have been made, will persist.

Why field a punt inside the 1?  Have we practiced blocking for extra points?  Do we practice getting set prior to a snap?  Do we teach defenders not to body slam opponents after the whistle?  And my personal favorite, have we instructed punters to punt to the coverage side of the field?  All correctable matters and not on personnel.