USC game

dbetz23

It is always better to have more games under your belt than your opponent cause it helps knock the rust off and get those kinks worked out. Whether or not that dictates a win I imagine not. SC will be either the toughest game or second toughest game its hard for me to judge Texas before they play a game or two. You could also look at SC being challenged more by Arkansas on the road then two cupcake games at home. I still think it will be an excellent win for us. And by excellent I mean really really close.

Looking at one of their boards, it appears they are having quite a few injuries. Supposedly down to only two scholarship CB's that have experience. Running backs are falling too.

I think Arkansas is a better preperation game than either of ours, plus they will get to see both of our games and have a week to practice for us. They will be ready. I give them the advantage, unless BC keeps everything very vanilla the first two game. I kinda doubt that will happen though. He is pretty upfront, show me what ya got I'll show you mine.

I think it is better for both. On one end, we get two games, thus more playing time for players, and a better understanding of what we want to do. For them though, they get more time to prepare for the game, thus more game planning for them against us, and Pete Carroll can really dissect film of us.

So do you think we will "limit" what we do the first rwo games, so there is more suprise for USC?

I think so. It's not like either team is a national power, and will give us much of a challenge. Basic WCO will be seen IMO. Give Carroll all that time and he can do a lot, just as Callahan can with the same amount of time, see sCUm, and Michigan. Luckily for us, there are a lot of new players on the team, which means USC can't look at film from last year.

Looking at one of their boards, it appears they are having quite a few injuries. Supposedly down to only two scholarship CB's that have experience. Running backs are falling too.

I think Arkansas is a better preperation game than either of ours, plus they will get to see both of our games and have a week to practice for us. They will be ready. I give them the advantage, unless BC keeps everything very vanilla the first two game. I kinda doubt that will happen though. He is pretty upfront, show me what ya got I'll show you mine.

There is one potential advantage, though. While they creamed Arkansas 70-17, they kept saying that Arkansas was "very physical". While it may not show on the scoreboard, Arkansas front seven should be improved. With an inexperienced offensive backfield, there is a decent chance they could come out of the Arkansas game banged up - and with a quarterback that has his confidence shaken.

Arkansas has some speed on defense this year, and their defensive coordinator, Reggie Herring, loves to blitz.

In '01, I believe, when we played a ranked Notre Dame team the broadcasters noted that we had two games under our belt while Notre Dame was in their first game of the season against us, and it showed.

I think USC, despite having to break in a new quarterback and running back, is considerably better that '01 Notre Dame team.

And having a 2-1 advantage is a far cry from a 2-0 advantage.

It's too little to draw conclusions on - they have one game, we have two; they'll be breaking in John David Booty (or Mark Sanchez?) while we return Zac Taylor...it's all guesswork at this point.

I think it's too early to expect a win here. I'll hope and cheer for one with the rest of you, but let's be fair here: to pull off a victory at USC would be a huge upset, which by nature indicates it's completely unexpected.

For them though, they get more time to prepare for the game, thus more game planning for them against us, and Pete Carroll can really dissect film of us.

In that same Notre Dame game mentioned above, the broadcasters also said it was just pure, simple football, not much to analyze or give away. Of course, I don't think you could say the same about WCO.

That said, I don't think we'll necessarily limit what we do. I think it's good sense to add in a few surprises, bells and whistles for the USC game, but I don't really think it would be a good idea to constrict the gameplan against any opponent. The advantages are too sparse, IMO, for it to be worth it. Think about it: the first two games, our team has to gel together and tune-up for USC. We can't do that if we're going to be playing a fundamentally different game against USC. And if we don't play a fundamentally different game, there's no advantage of not letting them screen videos of us at all.

Luckily for us, there are a lot of new players on the team, which means USC can't look at film from last year.

True, but we do return a lot of starters, too, particularly on defense. And we return Zac Taylor, while they've lost a QB, two trophy running backs and I believe their top WR.