2023 Spring Practice Notes - Running Backs

Question:  Do you think RBs run differently now than they used to?  RBs used to run angry with the attitude that, if you're going to tackle me, your going to feel it...and not like it.

OK, yes, we haven't had a dominating RB for quite a while.  But, even good RBs on other teams don't run like this, in my opinion.

Are they coached different?  Is it because defensive players are bigger and stronger now?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question:  Do you think RBs run differently now than they used to?  RBs used to run angry with the attitude that, if you're going to tackle me, your going to feel it...and not like it.

OK, yes, we haven't had a dominating RB for quite a while.  But, even good RBs on other teams don't run like this, in my opinion.

Are they coached different?  Is it because defensive players are bigger and stronger now?

In watching the Ken Clark video, I didn't see Clark running through a bunch of tacklers or getting a lot of yardage after first contact.  I loved Ken Clark, and he was getting a lot of yards, but in many of those carries, he was basically untouched until he was well downfield.  It's a lot easier to lower your shoulder and try to run through a CB or safety, especially after having 10-15 yards to get to full speed and build momentum.

I think your opinion of "guys don't run tough like this anymore" is based on a few things:  1) There is way more size and speed across the defense at all positions, so RB's don't have the physical advantages that they used to.  2) RB's are taught now to limit their contact, so they can lengthen their careers.  RB's with long career are a dying breed, because of the wear and tear that gets put on their body.  Plus, see point 1, as it's harder to run through tacklers than around them in current football.  3) The gap between the best offensive lines and the opposing defenses aren't as big as they were 30-40 years ago.  Teams can't just line up and dominate physically.  That makes it harder to rack up huge rushing yardage totals, which then influence your thought that "RB's aren't running as tough as they used to".

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In watching the Ken Clark video, I didn't see Clark running through a bunch of tacklers or getting a lot of yardage after first contact.  I loved Ken Clark, and he was getting a lot of yards, but in many of those carries, he was basically untouched until he was well downfield.  It's a lot easier to lower your shoulder and try to run through a CB or safety, especially after having 10-15 yards to get to full speed and build momentum.

You're right.  But, when he did hit someone, it was violent.  It seems like RBs anymore try to do more avoiding the hit and then, if they can't avoid it, just try to fall forward and it's not as violent.  I was wondering if they are coached differently to try to prevent injuries.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think your opinion of "guys don't run tough like this anymore" is based on a few things:  1) There is way more size and speed across the defense at all positions, so RB's don't have the physical advantages that they used to.  2) RB's are taught now to limit their contact, so they can lengthen their careers.  RB's with long career are a dying breed, because of the wear and tear that gets put on their body.  Plus, see point 1, as it's harder to run through tacklers than around them in current football.  3) The gap between the best offensive lines and the opposing defenses aren't as big as they were 30-40 years ago.  Teams can't just line up and dominate physically.  That makes it harder to rack up huge rushing yardage totals, which then influence your thought that "RB's aren't running as tough as they used to".

#1 and #2 were my assumptions.  Didn't think about #3.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're right.  But, when he did hit someone, it was violent.  It seems like RBs anymore try to do more avoiding the hit and then, if they can't avoid it, just try to fall forward and it's not as violent.  I was wondering if they are coached differently to try to prevent injuries.

I am far from a coach, but I think this is what is happening.  Just more benefit to keeping guys on the field, so they avoid hits when at all possible.

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And to limit the number of fumbles.  Less violent impacts equals fewer times the ball hits the ground.  

• TBH 2