Sometimes I get conservative

knapplc

The "right call" is often determined after the fact, as is the "wrong call." If it works the OC is a genius. If not, he's the goat.

Totally disagree. Case in point. 83 Orange Bowl. The 2 pt conversion attempt failed, but it was not the wrong call. I see good play calls that don't work quite often and laughable playcalls that work sometimes.

The biggest positive that I see here is that Beck recognizes it, meaning that he is likely to change. I think this has been the biggest problem with our past OC's, they dont know what they are doing wrong and dont know how to change.

It seems like Beck can watch game film and analyze like a coach and a fan. He can nit pick specifics like a coach, but he can also sit back in the chair like the rest of us and say the same things we do.

The "right call" is often determined after the fact, as is the "wrong call." If it works the OC is a genius. If not, he's the goat.

Totally disagree. Case in point. 83 Orange Bowl. The 2 pt conversion attempt failed, but it was not the wrong call. I see good play calls that don't work quite often and laughable playcalls that work sometimes.

The ubiquitous term "armchair quarterback" disagrees with you. The whole reason that term exists is the second-guessing nature of the American sportsman. One anecdotal example doesn't obviate a widespread trend.

And to be clear, I'm not saying those armchair quarterbacks are right. Just that they'll second-guess whatever call is made if it doesn't work. Same goes for the guys in the booth, who often dub OC's geniuses or fools depending on the success of the play - after the fact.

Was anyone else yelling at the TV when Beck was trying to run the clock with, like, six minutes left in the game?

Actually with 6 minutes left in the game I was thinking; oh crap, here we go, if we're going to only play half a game, maybe it should be the 2nd half and not the first. I try to limit my yelling at the TV cuz it really annoys my wife. And I had already used up all my yelling on our receivers for the numerous dropped passes.

And to be clear, I'm not saying those armchair quarterbacks are right. Just that they'll second-guess whatever call is made if it doesn't work. Same goes for the guys in the booth, who often dub OC's geniuses or fools depending on the success of the play - after the fact.

With that said then, I think it comes back full circle to dissecting Beck's ability to:

A) Assess the abilities of what his players can do as individuals

B) Assess what they excel at in practice as a unit

C) Asses what they excel at doing in games cumulatively as the season goes on

D) Exploit defensive weaknesses in the other team

E) Combine A - D in a way that organizes play calls sensibly.

'E' is totally subjective, so it's hard to grade either way. :)

Was anyone else yelling at the TV when Beck was trying to run the clock with, like, six minutes left in the game?

Actually with 6 minutes left in the game I was thinking; oh crap, here we go, if we're going to only play half a game, maybe it should be the 2nd half and not the first. I try to limit my yelling at the TV cuz it really annoys my wife. And I had already used up all my yelling on our receivers for the numerous dropped passes.

That's basically what I was thinking, too. Tim Beck displayed two games in that game: One, he's a mad genius when it comes to drawing up "gadget plays". Two, he still isn't quite in the right groove. He'll get it with time, though.

I've wondered about this very same thing watching the offense this year: At times they look like they are brimming with confidence and attack a defense from all angles and with great play calls....then there are a lot of times when we look like a replica of the "2009 Zac Lee stuck in neutral" garbage where we have absolutely no imagination other than "Rex right Rex left TM ZR keeper"! This was most evident in the 1st Qtr. of the WI game where we looked like world beaters. Contrast that with the MSU and NW games where Beck was "playing not to lose" for the most part....

Reading this article made me wonder.... Is Beck susceptible to this thinking more than he wants to admit - meaning - is it how part of his DNA? At face value it looks pretty harmless that he admits his mistakes but I wonder when and how this will come back to bite us again..... The minute after TM throws an INT will be the time to see if Beck really believes what he just said about attacking or..... if he's crawls back into shell. When you see teams like OU, OkieLite and Oregon play - they attack. Even if something bad happens they come right back and get after you. That's what we need to become. Not saying that we shouldn't give it to Rex when under duress but there comes a time, esp. against above average defenses on the road where attacking that defense might be better than letting it hang in there and gain more confidence - and that's what I think happened against NW.

The minute after TM throws an INT will be the time to see if Beck really believes what he just said about attacking or..... if he's crawls back into shell.

But to be fair to Beck, you can't possibly blame an interception solely on the play call. That's a dead horse that was beaten senseless after the Wisconsin game. Beck admitted to calling too many pass plays in that game - let's just get over that one.

An interception could be a combination of the following things or any one of them on their own:

1. Simply an inaccurate throw by the QB

2. An outstanding read and play made by the opponent's secondary

3. The wrong play being called at the right time

The ubiquitous term "armchair quarterback" disagrees with you. The whole reason that term exists is the second-guessing nature of the American sportsman. One anecdotal example doesn't obviate a widespread trend.

I didn't realize you were talking from the armchair QB perspective. In that sense I totally agree with you. A quadruple flea flicker reverse on 4th and 1 to decide the ballgame is a brilliant play call by the armchair QB when it works. When it gets stuffed for a 17 yard loss...outcome the pitchforks.....

After sitting through years of bitching at the television watching Shawn Watson's sick joke walk out there and lose games for us, I have to say that I am thrilled with Beck in his first year. There is one major reason why. WE ARE SHOWING IMPROVEMENT OFFENSIVELY AND AT QUARTERBACK!. Shawn Watson tried jamming a square peg through a round hole for too damn long. Beck is finding what we are good at and using it. Yes he might get astray from it sometimes but can you blame him. The guy wants to learn what we are capable of in game situations. What might work in practice doesn't always work in games. He is winning ball games and scoring points though. Can you imagine if we could have gotten 20 points a game back when Watson was here? Our defense was so good, that's all we would have needed. Watson found a way to blow it every time. I might be a overstating it a bit because I have to be honest, I never liked Shawn Watson's offense or his playcalling. So the change really made my offseason. I've been praying for Shawn to move on for his entire tenure. I'm rooting for Beck, and I think we have found our guy. As long as Taylor keeps improving, this offense will continue to improve.

• Fire 1