Huskers to Use Footballs with Tracking Device

Mavric

Nebraska will use a new type of football for games this season — one with tracking technology that will record its history and movement.

Big Game USA launched the technology this year. Each football will be equipped with a microchip, or "gametag," in the middle of its laces, which will provide a complete historical timeline for each ball. The information will be accessible with a free app, helping fans know the ball they’ve purchased is authentic. The app will detail the games, practices and even plays in which the ball was involved.

"We love the idea that the life of our footballs can now be tracked and preserved alongside the history of the game,” said Chris Calandro, founder of Big Game USA.

Link

GameTag_Nebraska21.jpg

I can't figure out what this helps that you can't already know just by watching.

If the ball is able to measure it's own MPH or distance/speed I would think that it can be used by coaches to see if the QB's arm strength has gotten weaker during games or throughout the season.

There is probably a large amount of data that can be downloaded immediately that takes away the need to analyze game film for a long period of time.

• Fire 1

I can't figure out what this helps that you can't already know just by watching.

If the ball is able to measure it's own MPH or distance/speed I would think that it can be used by coaches to see if the QB's arm strength has gotten weaker during games or throughout the season.

There is probably a large amount of data that can be downloaded immediately that takes away the need to analyze game film for a long period of time.

^This