Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

So he's following Bo because Bo allows him to preach to the kids? Can the kids leave while he does this? If a kid does leave, are there repercussions? If I were a parent, I wouldn't want that situation for my kid.

I'm sure they technically could leave, but I can't imagine an athlete walking out on his coach if he ever expects to see the field.

Here's my ultimate issue with Ron Brown: his overt preaching on Christianity is much more likely to turn off prospective recruits and even current players than an equally talented coach who doesn't sermonize and keeps his faith to himself. The potential negatives greatly outweigh the potential positives, especially given the cultural attitudes among youth today.

Knapp posted a couple years ago in another discussion about Brown's embarrassing bigotry and fanaticism that he'd talked to a former player who told him that everyone knew they had better play along if they didn't want any problems. Maybe knapp can share that again with the details that I'm forgetting here if he feels like it.

Just listen to the interview. That is heavily implied by Brown during the segment. He was asked about non-religious players, the way he answered the question to the effect of "if a guy thinks like that he keeps it to himself" and the way he said it implied "They better keep it to themselves or else" And I am 100% certain that mentality would not fly with Riley.

With the theory he was a great recruiter might hold water for some players, I would put money down there are players we lost because there was no way they could deal with him. Imagine if a player had a gay sibling, and saw the video of him at the Omaha City Council hearing.

I cannot understand how a black man could testify in favor of allowing discrimination for anyone.

Probably because you don't understand the concept as Ron Brown sees it, or for that matter, myself. There are what people are, and there is what people do.

Ron Brown is black...he was born that way, he wakes up that way every day. Homosexual people are categorized by what they do. They wake up and do something that is homosexual like in nature...it's a choice.

Obviously that plus 1 was a mistake. I just can't even and won't even. May God have mercy on your soul.

post-12807-0-19083100-1422065902_thumb.jpg

It's not.

That's not what the Lesbians used to tell my wife when they tried to pick her up at college. Their typical retort to a refused offer was, "What's the matter? Afraid you might like it if you tried it?"

I have no reason to believe those lesbians were lying, but if you don't agree with them that it is a choice, take it up with them.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that if Penn State had a do over and could choose between our Christian ex-coach and their Homosexual ex-coach, they wouldn't hesitate a second to choose Ron Brown.

I'm done here, don't bother replying to me, because I'm not checking back. In all of the internet, I don't think a half dozen opinions have ever been changed, so let's not even try.

This is not helpful to our point of view.

So he's following Bo because Bo allows him to preach to the kids? Can the kids leave while he does this? If a kid does leave, are there repercussions? If I were a parent, I wouldn't want that situation for my kid.

I'm sure they technically could leave, but I can't imagine an athlete walking out on his coach if he ever expects to see the field.

Here's my ultimate issue with Ron Brown: his overt preaching on Christianity is much more likely to turn off prospective recruits and even current players than an equally talented coach who doesn't sermonize and keeps his faith to himself. The potential negatives greatly outweigh the potential positives, especially given the cultural attitudes among youth today.

Knapp posted a couple years ago in another discussion about Brown's embarrassing bigotry and fanaticism that he'd talked to a former player who told him that everyone knew they had better play along if they didn't want any problems. Maybe knapp can share that again with the details that I'm forgetting here if he feels like it.

Just listen to the interview. That is heavily implied by Brown during the segment. He was asked about non-religious players, the way he answered the question to the effect of "if a guy thinks like that he keeps it to himself" and the way he said it implied "They better keep it to themselves or else" And I am 100% certain that mentality would not fly with Riley.

With the theory he was a great recruiter might hold water for some players, I would put money down there are players we lost because there was no way they could deal with him. Imagine if a player had a gay sibling, and saw the video of him at the Omaha City Council hearing.

Yes, I listened to it yesterday, and I know what he said. I was just throwing another piece of anecdotal evidence into the pile.

I'll summarize my feelings on Ron Brown. He is unworthy of admiration. He's an awful human and is *at best* an average to slightly above average position coach and a sub-par recruiter. If it wasn't for his long-standing ties with the program and the adoration of the holy rollers, people would have been calling for him to be jettisoned along with the rest of the former regime's staff that was cut loose. I wouldn't want either of my daughters to play for a coach like him.

I hadn't visit this forum for awhile and then clicked on this hot-button thread. Wow. Expected of course with this topic. I just listened to the entire interview with Coach Brown. I am in Arizona now, but grew up in Columbus, NE so familiar with Coach Brown of course and have read about his beliefs here and there and the trouble he got into a few years back but I had never heard him talk openly about his faith so I think I have a more clear understanding (although they are his beliefs and so I know I will never completely understand him or his thoughts).

My dad is a retired Lutheran Pastor so i grew up in the church and as I do video production now as my career, I sometimes work for various congregations. My dad's church was one of the first to be open to same-sex couples and so I got a bird's-eye view of religion and how it's played such a negative part in same-sex or LBGT couples/people. All I can say is that I feel bad for anyone who hides behind religion to condemn people who are different than they are.

Our organist was in a committed relationship with the same guy for more than 40 years. But they never received the same benefits a man or a woman would receive. Just sad. And so many other couples who couldn't go to church or are discriminated in their every-day lives because of others who think they have the moral authority to look down and judge.

So my feelings are very mixed on Coach Brown. I think he's a pretty classic case of what I term a born-again christian who discovers faith/religion/God later in life and turns his entire life over to this calling (that said, there are other born-agains with different views). But religion is such a complex issue and of course most wars are/were/and will be because of differences in beliefs that call back to religion.

So coach Brown seems pretty extreme with his beliefs and his need to prophesize. Some of things he said in that interview and the way he believes made me cringe and just shake my head, so strange when people believe they have no power and are controlled by an unknown being. However, that said, coach Brown also seems to be a very caring and dedicated human being and I would guess most parents have no problem with him being there for their 18-22 year-old sons who are away at college. And it also seems apparent that the kids love him.

So just like anything to do with religion, a tough call. But I now understand more why maybe coach Riley felt uncomfortable keeping him around. I wish coach Brown good fortunes with Bo and thank him for the many, many years of service at NU.

• Fire 1