Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

I cannot understand how a black man could testify in favor of allowing discrimination for anyone.

Probably because you don't understand the concept as Ron Brown sees it, or for that matter, myself. There are what people are, and there is what people do.

Ron Brown is black...he was born that way, he wakes up that way every day. Homosexual people are categorized by what they do. They wake up and do something that is homosexual like in nature...it's a choice.

• Fire 1

"As a follower of Jesus Christ, and a UNL employee for twenty-two years, I haven't, nor will I violate this policy," he said. "Not all of my players have agreed with the Bible's views. One example, of many, would be those choosing heterosexual sex outside of marriage. Though the Bible teaches this as sin, I haven't penalized them with playing time or discrimination of any sort."

He went on to note, "If I coached a gay player, because the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, I would do the same. If he didn't agree, I wouldn't penalize him with playing time or any form of discrimination." Still, he concluded, "I have and will embrace every player I coach, gay or straight...but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls a sin"

I mean, the fact he brings up taking away playing time and penalizing a player without a prompt says a lot.

Wow...reading a heck of a lot into that statement.

Meh, I really don't care either way. There is a lot about Ron Brown that I respect and love. Hell, I wish I look like him at age 60, it's just really too bad he's got some really regrettable quotes out there.

Your statement just sounded like.

faithful Husband = hmmm...that woman is pretty.

Wife = gives him stern look

Faithful Husband = What? I love you, I would never cheat on you. I just think she is pretty.

Wife = WHAT??? You think about cheating on me?

Faithful husband = :facepalm:

• Fire 2

"As a follower of Jesus Christ, and a UNL employee for twenty-two years, I haven't, nor will I violate this policy," he said. "Not all of my players have agreed with the Bible's views. One example, of many, would be those choosing heterosexual sex outside of marriage. Though the Bible teaches this as sin, I haven't penalized them with playing time or discrimination of any sort."

He went on to note, "If I coached a gay player, because the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, I would do the same. If he didn't agree, I wouldn't penalize him with playing time or any form of discrimination." Still, he concluded, "I have and will embrace every player I coach, gay or straight...but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls a sin"

I mean, the fact he brings up taking away playing time and penalizing a player without a prompt says a lot.

Wow...reading a heck of a lot into that statement.

Meh, I really don't care either way. There is a lot about Ron Brown that I respect and love. Hell, I wish I look like him at age 60, it's just really too bad he's got some really regrettable quotes out there.

Your statement just sounded like.

faithful Husband = hmmm...that woman is pretty.

Wife = gives him stern look

Faithful Husband = What? I love you, I would never cheat on you. I just think she is pretty.

Wife = WHAT??? You think about cheating on me?

Faithful husband = :facepalm:

"I mean if you let me make a list I'm just sayin she'd be on it"

• Fire 2

I cannot understand how a black man could testify in favor of allowing discrimination for anyone.

Probably because you don't understand the concept as Ron Brown sees it, or for that matter, myself. There are what people are, and there is what people do.

Ron Brown is black...he was born that way, he wakes up that way every day. Homosexual people are categorized by what they do. They wake up and do something that is homosexual like in nature...it's a choice.

It's not.

• Fire 1

Fred Phelps, everyone.

• Fire 2

This is the part that kind of stood out to me. It was never 100% about the program, and the Huskers. He always had a side-gig. You can't be successful as a recruiter if you are 110%. It's not for everyone, but no one will claim that RB was a great recruiter. This is a big part of the reason IMO.

lol wat

I don't think he's necessarily wrong. Ron Brown visited my school 3 times to give what amounted to sermons to all athletes in our gym as a "motivational speaker". That's his passion, not football.

Were those times while he was a coach during the season? Just out of curiosity.

Everyone has priorities outside of football. Tom Osborne was concerned with the same things Ron Brown is. Just because Ron is more zealous and a little bit more explicit about it doesn't make him any different.

And Ron was a great recruiter. I'll claim it. We got a lot of guys here because of his influence - he was essentially our ace in the hole for any recruit that took Christian faith seriously and for others as well.

Along with colleges, pretty much every team in the NFL, NBA and MLB has a component of Christian players and coaches, some who visibly express their faith in pre-game chapel services and post-game ritutals. Other players don't join in, but it doesn't seem to create a division. Every player is free to thank God for helping him beat the other team, and many use the national airwaves to do so. It seems more accepted in sports than other public platforms.

When the San Diego Padres got Christian-heavy and preachy in the '80s, it started causing them problems. When players like Curt Schilling let their religion and fame bleed into politics, it did not serve him well in the secular world. When the proselytizing Rev. Mark Jackson needed the Golden State Warriors' help in avoiding a shakedown from his mistress, it got a little messy. These are all for-profit businesses, and they don't like it from a business angle.

You can see why a public university would prefer nothing to do with it, and use the clear Constitutionality of the issue as their defense. Although to Dbqgolfer's point, some extremely controversial social content is both tolerated and promoted at universities all the time.

I have no idea how it works in the NHL, where hockey players are typically Druids, athiests and Canadians.

It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize.

You have "Freedom of Religion" confused with "Freedom from Religion" One exists in the Constitution, the other one comes from the Political Correctness of which Brown speaks.

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier.

We also have a guaranteed right to Free Speech but we do NOT have the right to not be offended by someone else's Free Speech.

He has every right to believe what he wants and to conduct himself in a manner consistent with those beliefs - to a point. In his capacity as an employee of the state coaching / teaching students, he does not have the right to attempt to impose religious indoctrination upon those he's charged with teaching. The courts have affirmed this numerous times and it's not a matter that's open for debate. He has a right as a private citizen (not in his capacity as an instructor) to do that as much as he wants on the street corner, in his church or knocking door to door and bothering decent people at home, but when he goes to work each day to teach men to play a game, he needs to check that sh#t at the door.

It's not.

That's not what the Lesbians used to tell my wife when they tried to pick her up at college. Their typical retort to a refused offer was, "What's the matter? Afraid you might like it if you tried it?"

I have no reason to believe those lesbians were lying, but if you don't agree with them that it is a choice, take it up with them.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that if Penn State had a do over and could choose between our Christian ex-coach and their Homosexual ex-coach, they wouldn't hesitate a second to choose Ron Brown.

I'm done here, don't bother replying to me, because I'm not checking back. In all of the internet, I don't think a half dozen opinions have ever been changed, so let's not even try.

So he's following Bo because Bo allows him to preach to the kids? Can the kids leave while he does this? If a kid does leave, are there repercussions? If I were a parent, I wouldn't want that situation for my kid.

I'm sure they technically could leave, but I can't imagine an athlete walking out on his coach if he ever expects to see the field.

Here's my ultimate issue with Ron Brown: his overt preaching on Christianity is much more likely to turn off prospective recruits and even current players than an equally talented coach who doesn't sermonize and keeps his faith to himself. The potential negatives greatly outweigh the potential positives, especially given the cultural attitudes among youth today.

Knapp posted a couple years ago in another discussion about Brown's embarrassing bigotry and fanaticism that he'd talked to a former player who told him that everyone knew they had better play along if they didn't want any problems. Maybe knapp can share that again with the details that I'm forgetting here if he feels like it.

It's not.

That's not what the Lesbians used to tell my wife when they tried to pick her up at college. Their typical retort to a refused offer was, "What's the matter? Afraid you might like it if you tried it?"

I have no reason to believe those lesbians were lying, but if you don't agree with them that it is a choice, take it up with them.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that if Penn State had a do over and could choose between our Christian ex-coach and their Homosexual ex-coach, they wouldn't hesitate a second to choose Ron Brown.

I'm done here, don't bother replying to me, because I'm not checking back. In all of the internet, I don't think a half dozen opinions have ever been changed, so let's not even try.

That's scientific.

I won't even respond to the obvious trolling in the Penn St. comment.

• Fire 1

It's not.

That's scientific.

I won't even respond to the obvious trolling in the Penn St. comment.

I just assumed all women were bisexual.

It's not.

I can see why you are running away from this one.

Predatory lesbians? Wow.

Also, Penn State did have a prominently Christian head coach named Joe Paterno, and an assistant coach equally revered in the Christian community named Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky was a pedophile, not a homosexual. A huge difference you should acquaint yourself with, starting with the concept of "consent."

One of many cases where the people who speak loudest against sin and sinners are harboring some screwed up demons of their own.

• Fire 4