Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize.

You have "Freedom of Religion" confused with "Freedom from Religion" One exists in the Constitution, the other one comes from the Political Correctness of which Brown speaks.

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier.

We also have a guaranteed right to Free Speech but we do NOT have the right to not be offended by someone else's Free Speech.

Not only do you have the freedom to practice any religion you want but the government is also restricted from endorsing or advocating any religion. Those are two separate but related parts of the same freedom. So yes, one does in fact have freedom FROM religion when it comes to the government. There is a long history of jurisprudence explaining exactly that concept....

• Fire 2

Honestly, I never remember his religion being an issue until he did the gay marriage thing a few years ago. Up until that point, it was always viewed as a positive in the program along with Gill, TO and maybe a few others being strong Christians.

He isn't coaching here anymore. He was a huge asset to the program as long as he was here. I'm excited about the new staff and wish coach Brown all the best in the world. In my eyes, he is an amazing guy that does great work with young kids and the community.

• Fire 1

Honestly, I never remember his religion being an issue until he did the gay marriage thing a few years ago. Up until that point, it was always viewed as a positive in the program along with Gill, TO and maybe a few others being strong Christians.

He isn't coaching here anymore. He was a huge asset to the program as long as he was here. I'm excited about the new staff and wish coach Brown all the best in the world. In my eyes, he is an amazing guy that does great work with young kids and the community.

I would agree. It's a great example of how one incident can mar an otherwise spotless career.

• Fire 1

Question: Would those who have an issue with Ron Brown mentioning his position at the University of Nebraska before the Omaha City Council have the same issue with a professor or other coach/staff member at the University stating his/her position with the University before speaking in the same forum but in favor of the ordinance banning discrimination based upon sexual orientation?

Yes I would have a problem with that. I'm assuming that UNL faculty rules are pretty similar to Illinois where I am now. Any faculty using their position for political campaigning is likely to be harshly reprimanded and likely fired.

• Fire 1

So, if he had to coach a kid that was gay, would he?

I would think this is the problem. How awkward would it be if he knew he were coaching a gay player? With how outspoken he is, does he try to coach the 'gay' out of the player? And btw it's not being PC. Why should people be discriminated against? What are they doing to harm you? Land of the free, they just trying to live their lives like the rest of us.

I would think this is the problem. How awkward would it be if he knew he were coaching a gay player? With how outspoken he is, does he try to coach the 'gay' out of the player? And btw it's not being PC. Why should people be discriminated against? What are they doing to harm you? Land of the free, they just trying to live their lives like the rest of us.

Yea. I mean, he's essentially said he would.

This is the part that kind of stood out to me. It was never 100% about the program, and the Huskers. He always had a side-gig. You can't be successful as a recruiter if you are 110%. It's not for everyone, but no one will claim that RB was a great recruiter. This is a big part of the reason IMO.

lol wat

I don't think he's necessarily wrong. Ron Brown visited my school 3 times to give what amounted to sermons to all athletes in our gym as a "motivational speaker". That's his passion, not football.

SNIP (from el Counto)

There's a little snippet of that column by Sipple where Brown admits, in his own words, that using Nebraska Football as a platform to promote his religious beliefs caused some tension. Now are we or are we not tired of all the tension? This is Ron's admission. This isnt speculated heresay.

Which is odd because in 2012 Ron Brown said........

"To be fired for my faith would be a greater honor than to be fired because we didn't win enough games," Brown said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I haven't lost any sleep over it. I realize at some point, we live in a politically correct enough culture where that very well could happen."

So which one is it, Ron?

So he's following Bo because Bo allows him to preach to the kids? Can the kids leave while he does this? If a kid does leave, are there repercussions? If I were a parent, I wouldn't want that situation for my kid.

I'm sure they technically could leave, but I can't imagine an athlete walking out on his coach if he ever expects to see the field.

Here's my ultimate issue with Ron Brown: his overt preaching on Christianity is much more likely to turn off prospective recruits and even current players than an equally talented coach who doesn't sermonize and keeps his faith to himself. The potential negatives greatly outweigh the potential positives, especially given the cultural attitudes among youth today.

Yea. I mean, he's essentially said he would.

but is that lip service because if he said otherwise, he'd definitely be vilified by the PC crowd...

"As a follower of Jesus Christ, and a UNL employee for twenty-two years, I haven't, nor will I violate this policy," he said. "Not all of my players have agreed with the Bible's views. One example, of many, would be those choosing heterosexual sex outside of marriage. Though the Bible teaches this as sin, I haven't penalized them with playing time or discrimination of any sort."

He went on to note, "If I coached a gay player, because the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, I would do the same. If he didn't agree, I wouldn't penalize him with playing time or any form of discrimination." Still, he concluded, "I have and will embrace every player I coach, gay or straight...but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls a sin"

I mean, the fact he brings up taking away playing time and penalizing a player without a prompt says a lot.

"As a follower of Jesus Christ, and a UNL employee for twenty-two years, I haven't, nor will I violate this policy," he said. "Not all of my players have agreed with the Bible's views. One example, of many, would be those choosing heterosexual sex outside of marriage. Though the Bible teaches this as sin, I haven't penalized them with playing time or discrimination of any sort."

He went on to note, "If I coached a gay player, because the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, I would do the same. If he didn't agree, I wouldn't penalize him with playing time or any form of discrimination." Still, he concluded, "I have and will embrace every player I coach, gay or straight...but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls a sin"

I mean, the fact he brings up taking away playing time and penalizing a player without a prompt says a lot.

Wow...reading a heck of a lot into that statement.

• Fire 1

Wow...reading a heck of a lot into that statement.

Meh, I really don't care either way. There is a lot about Ron Brown that I respect and love. Hell, I wish I look like him at age 60, it's just really too bad he's got some really regrettable quotes out there.