Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

So, if he had to coach a kid that was gay, would he?

Odds are really good he already has.

He's also, quite recently, coached a Muslim kid. That seemed to turn out OK.

maybe, but at least that muslim kid worships a god, and he's not some heathen butt pirate...

I'd better add this :sarcasm before everyone goes batsh*t crazy...

• Fire 1

So, if he had to coach a kid that was gay, would he?

Odds are really good he already has.

He most likely wasn't aware of it. Except maybe that punter.

Anyhow, I hate it when people fling "politically correct" around. It's just another way of saying you can't accept other people's opinions. Or maybe a more politically correct way of calling someone one of those words Bo used in his speech.

• Fire 2

It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize.

You have "Freedom of Religion" confused with "Freedom from Religion" One exists in the Constitution, the other one comes from the Political Correctness of which Brown speaks.

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier.

We also have a guaranteed right to Free Speech but we do NOT have the right to not be offended by someone else's Free Speech.

It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize.

You have "Freedom of Religion" confused with "Freedom from Religion" One exists in the Constitution, the other one comes from the Political Correctness of which Brown speaks.

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier.

We also have a guaranteed right to Free Speech but we do NOT have the right to not be offended by someone else's Free Speech.

I don't think the concept is getting through. "Freedom of religion" does, in fact, mean you can not legislate a religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Thus, any argument for a law that includes the phrase "Because the Bible says..." is invalid by definition.

This is the part that kind of stood out to me. It was never 100% about the program, and the Huskers. He always had a side-gig. You can't be successful as a recruiter if you are 110%. It's not for everyone, but no one will claim that RB was a great recruiter. This is a big part of the reason IMO.

lol wat

An authority of the state? He was a running backs coach.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

Who employed him? Was he not in a position of authority in his capacity as a coach? It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize. It's not OK from a lowly bus driver for an elementary school, much less a teacher / coach.
I dare say that Ron Brown could have counseled the young men in his charge in a secular manner and you would have no problems with that but once he includes his faith, that's when the outrage begins.
Take a minute and think - really think - about what you just said. He was employed by a secular institution that is a part of a secular state to instruct student athletes. Explain why I would have an issue with a person in that position instructing in a "secular manner?"
For some people, you cannot remove faith from their discourse, because their faith is at the very foundation of their being, and it informs everything they think, say and do. This tends to bother a lot of people, though.
Especially when it isn't your faith. See: Islam

That's interesting when he recruited a Muslim player to Nebraska and that player said his relationship with Brown was one of the reasons he came here. Brown then ended up coaching his position and to this day they gave s great relationship.

And yes, they even talked about religion during the recruiting process.

Oh the horror!!!!!

An authority of the state? He was a running backs coach.

His evangelizing wasn't crap. Overdone? perhaps. Depends on who you ask. But make no mistake that he made players better. The proof was on the field every Saturday.

Who employed him? Was he not in a position of authority in his capacity as a coach? It's inappropriate for a person to use their position of authority to evangelize. It's not OK from a lowly bus driver for an elementary school, much less a teacher / coach.
I dare say that Ron Brown could have counseled the young men in his charge in a secular manner and you would have no problems with that but once he includes his faith, that's when the outrage begins.
Take a minute and think - really think - about what you just said. He was employed by a secular institution that is a part of a secular state to instruct student athletes. Explain why I would have an issue with a person in that position instructing in a "secular manner?"
For some people, you cannot remove faith from their discourse, because their faith is at the very foundation of their being, and it informs everything they think, say and do. This tends to bother a lot of people, though.
Especially when it isn't your faith. See: Islam

That's interesting when he recruited a Muslim player to Nebraska and that player said his relationship with Brown was one of the reasons he came here. Brown then ended up coaching his position and to this day they gave s great relationship.

And yes, they even talked about religion during the recruiting process.

Oh the horror!!!!!

Islam and Christianity are two sides of the same coin. I would bet there would be a much bigger issue with an atheist.

First off, my comment was about the post mentioning Islam.

Second, it can go both ways.

I remember a lineman we were recruiting years ago and it was between us and Minnesota.

On the Minnesota visit, they didn't realize he was a devout Christian and took him to a strip club.

He felt much more comfortable here with people like Brown around.

So he's following Bo because Bo allows him to preach to the kids? Can the kids leave while he does this? If a kid does leave, are there repercussions? If I were a parent, I wouldn't want that situation for my kid.

Sounds more like he will be able to express his faith in the same manner he did while at NU. Don't think it was much of a problem, and won't be a problem, as long as kid's playing time, position on depth chart etc. are in no way affected by how they accept his message.