Discussion of Ron Brown's Political/Religious Views - 2015 Edition

I cannot understand how a black man could testify in favor of allowing discrimination for anyone.

Probably because you don't understand the concept as Ron Brown sees it, or for that matter, myself. There are what people are, and there is what people do.

Ron Brown is black...he was born that way, he wakes up that way every day. Homosexual people are categorized by what they do. They wake up and do something that is homosexual like in nature...it's a choice.

Much like Ron Brown and other fundamentalist kooks choose to become religious bigots, right? I don't approve of the lifestyle choices that Brown and people like him have made, but in this age of tolerance it's their right to engage in that sort of abhorrent behavior if they wish (sadly). I mean I still love and respect them as my fellow humans even while I hate the decisions that they've made to be disgusting, hateful people that reject reality and decency in favor of myths and superstition. I just don't understand why these people feel the need to try to shove their choices down everyone's throats. We get it - they love Josh the Zombie Jew, but they need to keep it in the closet, OK (in the Matt 6:5 sense, not in the icky gay closet)? I don't want to see that. It turns my stomach - can't they just be happy that I tolerate their existence? These people living in a fantasy world need to get a grip and start living right. A steaming mound of horse crap has more value than the god(s) these people believe in - at least the dung is real and could be used as fertilizer. It's just a shame that the Romans didn't have enough lions to get the job done nearly 2000 years ago.

(Sorry, not sorry - we don't have a right to not be offended, right?)

When you wake up each day and do something heterosexual in nature, do you ever think about the moment that you chose to be straight? Were you staring down the barrel, so to speak, and decided it wasn't for you? Did you try it to make sure you were making the right decision?

• Fire 4

What ever happened to people just minding their own damn business? For you devout Christians (I admit that I am a Christian, but I don't follow the Bible as closely as some or even most who claim they are Christians), are there verses in the Bible that provide direction for what you should do if one is not following the Word of God? I would think opinions formed from the Bible should also have compensatory Bible-prescribed actions. It's just putting words into God's mouth otherwise, which is something I wouldn't think He would want.

Also, for those who subscribe to the belief that homosexuality is a choice, you are incorrect. I would like to think that we are at a point in time--we wonderful, scholarly information on pretty much any topic imaginable--where one can look at more than just anecdotal evidence. Homosexuality is not a choice. Though this is a Wikipedia page, here's Daryl Bem's "Exotic Becomes Erotic" theory of the etiology (I hate saying that word because of its associations with mental diseases) of homosexuality.

http://www.psychwiki.com/wiki/Bem%27s_Exotic_Becomes_Erotic_Theory

I cannot understand how a black man could testify in favor of allowing discrimination for anyone.

Probably because you don't understand the concept as Ron Brown sees it, or for that matter, myself. There are what people are, and there is what people do.

Ron Brown is black...he was born that way, he wakes up that way every day. Homosexual people are categorized by what they do. They wake up and do something that is homosexual like in nature...it's a choice.

Much like Ron Brown and other fundamentalist kooks choose to become religious bigots, right? I don't approve of the lifestyle choices that Brown and people like him have made, but in this age of tolerance it's their right to engage in that sort of abhorrent behavior if they wish (sadly). I mean I still love and respect them as my fellow humans even while I hate the decisions that they've made to be disgusting, hateful people that reject myths in favor of reality and decency. I just don't understand why these people feel the need to try to shove their choices down everyone's throats. We get it - they love Josh the Zombie Jew, but they need to keep it in the closet, OK (in the Matt 6:5 sense, not in the icky gay closet)? I don't want to see that. It turns my stomach - can't they just be happy that I tolerate their existence? These people living in a fantasy world need to get a grip and start living right. A steaming mound of horse crap has more value than the god(s) these people believe in - at least the dung is real and could be used as fertilizer. It's just a shame that the Romans didn't have enough lions to get the job done nearly 2000 years ago.

(Sorry, not sorry - we don't have a right to not be offended, right?)

When you wake up each day and do something heterosexual in nature, do you ever think about the moment that you chose to be straight? Were you staring down the barrel, so to speak, and decided it wasn't for you? Did you try it to make sure you were making the right decision?

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen so much hate from such a tolerant person.

And I've never seen someone so oblivious to sarcasm. It's a satirical riff on the tried and true "they chose to be this way" and "love the sinner / hate the sin" themes.

Sorry about that, Guy. I edited within a minute of posting because I thought it needed a little more detail. I must have managed to sneak it in after you loaded the page haha.

Regarding your edit, unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure I remember being able to delete self-posts in the past. Apparently we can't any longer.

And I've never seen someone so oblivious to sarcasm. It's a satirical riff on the tried and true "they chose to be this way" and "love the sinner / hate the sin" themes.

I guess I should have put a sarcasm smiley to my response also. The truth of the matter is that I find many people that are PC about things to only be tolerant of people as long as the agree with their PC view point. I don't find that any better than RB ultra religious view of the world either.

I personally don't find RB to be a problem in the way he does his job as a football coach.He makes no bones about his religious convictions and in the context of dealing with him when I used to coach football I never saw him forcing his beliefs on anyone in the numerous settings that I heard him speak.

Yeah, none of that is a problem or has been one, outside of the one incident. I think all of us here have a lot of admiration for the man, and respect for his time here.

His mindset of wanting to attack 'PC cowardice' at public schools though just makes me think at this point, a parting of the ways was best anyway. And to Landlord, who made the point about his asset as a recruiter earlier, yes -- but he would not go on the road, right? And that's another issue.

To close the book on the topic (for me), I really feel Brown would be best served at a private school such as Liberty rather than a public one, but he seems completely determined to make this 'fight' of his a mission. That I can't support him on, but it's his choice and as Ron Brown himself perhaps would say, who am I to judge.

No one seems to mention, what choices did he have as a 57 (?) yr old assistant, who was not really wanting to kill himself working like a 30 yr old ?

He is a lightning rod and that is well known .

I am sure the phone was not ringing off the wall. He has a certain amount of years to pad his nest egg.

Is he going from $280K a year to $90 k ??

It's not.

That's not what the Lesbians used to tell my wife when they tried to pick her up at college. Their typical retort to a refused offer was, "What's the matter? Afraid you might like it if you tried it?"

I have no reason to believe those lesbians were lying, but if you don't agree with them that it is a choice, take it up with them.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that if Penn State had a do over and could choose between our Christian ex-coach and their Homosexual ex-coach, they wouldn't hesitate a second to choose Ron Brown.

I'm done here, don't bother replying to me, because I'm not checking back. In all of the internet, I don't think a half dozen opinions have ever been changed, so let's not even try.

Just another person echoing that you're very wrong on this, and you should probably do some research on the matter rather than take some ludicrous sounding anecdote as gospel.

I guess I should have put a sarcasm smiley to my response also. The truth of the matter is that I find many people that are PC about things to only be tolerant of people as long as the agree with their PC view point. I don't find that any better than RB ultra religious view of the world either.

I personally don't find RB to be a problem in the way he does his job as a football coach.He makes no bones about his religious convictions and in the context of dealing with him when I used to coach football I never saw him forcing his beliefs on anyone in the numerous settings that I heard him speak.

You're not really wrong, human nature is that we tend to group ourselves among like-minded people (we are on a Husker fan message board, after all). However, I DO see a big difference between RB's views and the "PC" view (I don't like calling it that): the "PC" view is almost always from the standpoint of "accept everyone's ability to determine their own path without hassle from others or hassling of others" while the RB view is "Its my responsibility to tell you that you're living your life wrong". The "intolerence" of the PC crowd that you speak of is because RB is violating the fundamental "hassling of others" belief.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that if Penn State had a do over and could choose between our Christian ex-coach and their Homosexual ex-coach, they wouldn't hesitate a second to choose Ron Brown.

Sandusky was/is NOT homosexual. He's a pedophile! People who think these are the same thing need to be slapped.

• Fire 2