College Football's most notable rivalries

knapplc

We can set the cornerstone of what could be a really good rivalry in years to come by beating Iowa this weekend, by spoiling their "greatest of all" season. Let's do that, then revisit how we feel about Iowa after the game.

WRONG.

That would have the opposite effect. That'd make the formation of a rivalry even less likely. It'd get us closer to making them our doormat.

We can set the cornerstone of what could be a really good rivalry in years to come by beating Iowa this weekend, by spoiling their "greatest of all" season. Let's do that, then revisit how we feel about Iowa after the game.

WRONG.

That would have the opposite effect. That'd make the formation of a rivalry even less likely. It'd get us closer to making them our doormat.

Overruled.

You're thinking solely of Nebraska's side of a rivalry. A true rivalry "takes two to tango," and Nebraska wrecking Iowa's only bid for a perfect season, ever, will stand out in their minds forever. And Nebraska Fan will remind them of that, forever.

That's a little tiny seed that could turn into a might oak.

• Fire 2

You're dreaming if you don't think there is a special/unique relationship of annoyance/hostility/dislike between a large percentage of our two fanbases.

I'm not saying it's equal both ways, but you see a lot of beat writers using #IowaHateWeek. There is no hate week for any other team. Similarly if you look at their rivals board, they absolutely can not stand us and will frequently have more nebraska threads than iowa threads at different points throughout the year.

WRONG.

Overruled.

You're thinking solely of Nebraska's side of a rivalry. A true rivalry "takes two to tango," and Nebraska wrecking Iowa's only bid for a perfect season, ever, will stand out in their minds forever. And Nebraska Fan will remind them of that, forever.

That's a little tiny seed that could turn into a might oak.

That's exactly my point. If we beat Iowa, again, then they are clearly not tangoing. Maybe 10 years from now if the W-L is close it will be closer to a rivalry and we will remind them.

You're dreaming if you don't think there is a special/unique relationship of annoyance/hostility/dislike between a large percentage of our two fanbases.

I'm not saying it's equal both ways, but you see a lot of beat writers using #IowaHateWeek. There is no hate week for any other team. Similarly if you look at their rivals board, they absolutely can not stand us and will frequently have more nebraska threads than iowa threads at different points throughout the year.

I don't think anyone's dreaming. Animosity does not solely a rivalry make. I hate Texas but that was never a rivalry game because they almost always won and the series didn't last long enough.

I'm really excited for the game. 95% because they're highly ranked and regardless of how good Nebraska is that always makes me more excited for a game. 5% because it's Iowa and it would tickle me to ruin their season. So not a rivalry, just something slightly different than beating some random #4 team.

All of this rivalry talk is making me annoyed that we don't play PSU every year.

I don't think anyone's dreaming. Animosity does not solely a rivalry make. I hate Texas but that was never a rivalry game because they almost always won and the series didn't last long enough.

I know we don't really understand this because we're in love with OU and they love us, but most rivalries are fueled by hatred more than anything else.

But I agree with you that Iowa winning would go further towards it actually becoming something than Nebraska winning and spoiling their season. If Iowa wins, we'll get so god damn annoyed and have to put up with the gleeful bragging of Iowa fan for a year, strengthening our dislike to match theirs and strengthening their feeling of equality. If we win, then we just continue to laugh at them and they continue to not like us, which is what has already existed in the same capacity for years now.

I know we don't really understand this because we're in love with OU and they love us, but most rivalries are fueled by hatred more than anything else.

But I agree with you that Iowa winning would go further towards it actually becoming something than Nebraska winning and spoiling their season. If Iowa wins, we'll get so god damn annoyed and have to put up with the gleeful bragging of Iowa fan for a year, strengthening our dislike to match theirs and strengthening their feeling of equality. If we win, then we just continue to laugh at them and they continue to not like us, which is what has already existed in the same capacity for years now.

I just can't hate a team that loses to us so often. But I will say I don't actually know any Iowa fans.

If Iowa wins, we'll get so god damn annoyed and have to put up with the gleeful bragging of Iowa fan for a year, strengthening our dislike to match theirs and strengthening their feeling of equality. If we win, then we just continue to laugh at them and they continue to not like us, which is what has already existed in the same capacity for years now.

Where, exactly, am I going to hear this bragging? I don't live in or near Iowa. I see no Iowa fans in any given calendar year. If you're talking solely on the interwebs, then the only way you interact with Iowa Fan is if you choose to. You also have more chances of interacting with Ohio State Fan, Michigan State Fan, Penn State Fan, Michigan Fan, Texas Fan, Wisconsin Fan, Oklahoma Fan, etc - schools with far larger undergrad enrollments and far larger alumnae bases. And every one of those groups has or could have scoreboard on us at any given time.

You're not describing something that makes Iowa special. You're describing any game, with any team, just about any year.

If Iowa wins, we'll get so god damn annoyed and have to put up with the gleeful bragging of Iowa fan for a year, strengthening our dislike to match theirs and strengthening their feeling of equality. If we win, then we just continue to laugh at them and they continue to not like us, which is what has already existed in the same capacity for years now.

Where, exactly, am I going to hear this bragging? I don't live in or near Iowa. I see no Iowa fans in any given calendar year. If you're talking solely on the interwebs, then the only way you interact with Iowa Fan is if you choose to. You also have more chances of interacting with Ohio State Fan, Michigan State Fan, Penn State Fan, Michigan Fan, Texas Fan, Wisconsin Fan, Oklahoma Fan, etc - schools with far larger undergrad enrollments and far larger alumnae bases. And every one of those groups has or could have scoreboard on us at any given time.

You're not describing something that makes Iowa special. You're describing any game, with any team, just about any year.

Anyone that lives east of Columbus, which would translate to a good majority of Nebraskans/Nebraska fans, lives close to Iowa. If you live in eastern Nebraska, you are more likely to interact with Iowa fans, due to geographical proximity. How much money would you like to bet that there are more primary Iowa fans living in Lincoln/Omaha than there are OSU/MU/PSU/MSU/UT/UW/OU/etc. fans?

Landlord - you don't love OU if you live in Oklahoma. Those of us here in the Ok Husker Club almost to a person cheered on Texas (who I despise) when they beat OU this year. Living here in Okla - you don't know arrogant fans until you meet a OU fan during a 'good year'. But when the team went south in the 1990s - many were fair weather fans.

Edit: I will add however, I probably know more about OU football history than any other school outside of NU - just because of our rivalry. I once won a Tulsa radio call in contest on OU football history and the sports guy was both surprised and annoyed when I told him I'm a Husker fan. I knew more than the OU fans that called in. Yes, NU fans are the most knowledgeable CFF in the nation.

you don't know arrogant fans until you meet a OU fan during a 'good year'. But when the team went south in the 1990s - many were fair weather fans.

Said someone from every fanbase about every other fanbase since college football started. Glass houses.

I'm not so sure about that Landlord. We've had a rough stretch but we kept selling out our stadium (BC years, Bo Blowouts, this year). OU did not - they had many empty seats - even during the Gary Gibbs years in which they were a respectable team.