Illinois Game Trip

I was there 2 years ago but didn't get to any bars since I was with the family. We did some of the official "tailgating" around the stadium and it was pretty awful. There was just no energy or excitement for the game. It was a lot like the game actually. Maybe with it being a night game things will pick up and the bars should definitely have more life, but overall this was one of the worst game atmospheres I've been around.

Like others said, it's pretty tame and uneventful compared to the happenings in Lincoln on gameday. Green Street is the main bar/restaurant drag, probably 6-7 blocks north of the stadium. There's a Legends that fills up with a lot of Husker fans on that stretch, and tailgating is pretty spread out in small pockets all over.

I would love to help!

This is a Friday game so it will be different, I would think.

Joe's Bar, KAMS and Red Lion are fun. Joe's was the most fun but again this was on a Saturday. The Greeks rent out the bars on game day (again, I don't know about Friday) and the bars open up early for them, so it is a huge party for about two hours before the bar really opens. So they are packed.

The tailgate spot that they are putting a lot of money into is the Grange Grove, it is literally in front of the stadium. It is free to get it (no cars) and you can even wheel in a keg. They will have live bands and beer gardens set up.

It will be a bit bland UNLESS this Friday night thing gets the place rocking, which it might.

• Fire 1