2024 Season Notes

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nebraska is more loaded in the arms this year with a higher variety of middle relief setup pitchers. Still need a proven closer but they have a couple arms capable of that. I think the power numbers will be equal to last year though they did lose 2 huge bats so maybe more base stealing this year. Defense should be strong though. Also we have an unproven infield might take a bit to work through. The non-conference schedule is going to be very challenging. I expect we'll come out of it 2 or 3 games above .500 but I think that schedule, coupled with a conference schedule that should set up for a shot at hosting a regional. To expect to have a shot at a super would mean going 5 or 6 games above .500 in the non-conference and that is a bit too much. 

New 1st base coach that while at WSU he was aggressive on the bases, we'll see soon enough if Bolt gives him the reigns to run. (Bolt, of the past, liked the hitters/long ball to advance)

Expect to see more off speed stuff coming from the mound. Childress is known as a slider/change up coaching guru. He sets the out pitch up well with heat and location.

I expect minimally a second place finish in the conference. Iowa and Indiana (esp Indiana) have loaded teams. Maryland, though they lost a HUGE arm from last year will returns 2 of their 3 starters. B1G conference baseball is better than outside perceptions and honestly, I expect the B1G to put 5-6 teams in the post season. (Nebraska/Iowa/Indiana/Maryland/Rutgers/Ohio St).