18-20 teams still a conference?

Eventually the big 10 will be at 20 so playing teams in the entire conference with much regularity is going to be difficult.   For me the love of college football is that rivalry with all the teams in the league (thinking of the big 8).  Dow we lose that.  Or on the other hand does this become more like the big 8 where there are those other 5 teams or so that are played every year and the rest of the conference is almost like playing out of conference teams and we embrace the smaller division and the rivalry with those teams? 

also at what point does the extra teams actually hurt revenue as people lose interest in games because of less familiarity or will the less frequent playing of teams like USC give it a novelty feel still when we do play them? 

I actually could see the big 10 and sec adding all the relevant programs over the next 10 years. Those 2 conferences break away as the top division of football. Then it is like the nfl format. The big 10 being the nfc and the sec being the afc. Creating multiple smaller divisions in each conference and those division winners get in the playoffs 

I actually like Chip Kelly's (although I have heard it from others, too) opinion of creating a different division/model for college football, and then go back to regionalized conferences for all other sports.  The travel and expenses which would be required for the non-football sports doesn't make sense with schools spread out all over the country.

I asked back when the idea of a 16 team conference first came up: is a division title from an 8 team division worth as much as a conference title from an 8 team conference? It may not feel the same, but at least in theory, the difficulty in getting them is the same. With or without divisions, conference championship titles are going to be harder and harder to come by with so many teams competing for them.

• Plus1 3
39 minutes ago, Toe said:

I asked back when the idea of a 16 team conference first came up: is a division title from an 8 team division worth as much as a conference title from an 8 team conference? It may not feel the same, but at in theory, the difficulty in getting them is the same. With or without divisions, conference championship titles are going to be harder and harder to come by with so many teams competing for them.

Exactly. We might have a crap ton of conference championships, but almost all are from an 8 team conference.  If we win the new Big 18 ever it will be quite an accomplishment.  Making the 12 team playoff will be easier than winning the conference.

• TBH 1