2024 B1G Baseball Television Schedule

• Loebarth changed the title to 2024 B1G Baseball Television Schedule

In comparison to/with the SEC Network and ESPN platform:

B1G Ten 16 regular season games televised per the schedule.. additionally, there is 8 wildcard games (unscheduled) and then the B1G tourney. Total max games of 38..

The SEC/ESPN however is actually investing in Baseball as indicated by the number of televised games. (Link)

Article Headline Reads: "SEC baseball 2024 TV schedule: 94 games to be televised on ESPN networks"

So, what excuse(s) exist within the B1G and Fox Sports regarding their lack of interest in promoting B1G baseball?

I generally loathe most things ESPN but their college baseball streaming options on ESPN+/SEC+/ACCNX are just top notch and that's on top of the nice job that the SEC Network does once conference play gets going. The thing is, it's not the Big Ten is pumping out tons of content during the spring/summer. 

That being said, $40/yr for BTN+ for conference baseball isn't too bad. My big gripe is the camera set up in a few parks is generally brutal and makes the games unwatchable.

15 hours ago, Loebarth said:

In comparison to/with the SEC Network and ESPN platform:

B1G Ten 16 regular season games televised per the schedule.. additionally, there is 8 wildcard games (unscheduled) and then the B1G tourney. Total max games of 38..

The SEC/ESPN however is actually investing in Baseball as indicated by the number of televised games. (Link)

Article Headline Reads: "SEC baseball 2024 TV schedule: 94 games to be televised on ESPN networks"

So, what excuse(s) exist within the B1G and Fox Sports regarding their lack of interest in promoting B1G baseball?

It's very frustrating. There will be times when a game is being played that fans want to see and there isn't any live event being televised on the Big Ten Network.  I understand not being able to do non-con games because the cost.  But, conference games should be fairly easy to do.

• Plus1 1

I think everyone would rather watch a live event over a replay event. Keep the replay events on the btn+ and see how many people will actually pay to watch it. They know full well the answer is zero (or close to zero) and so, for profits sake, put the live event on btn+ with mostly s#!t camera work and often atrocious play by play. I'd actually subscribe to btn+ if they used a little professionalism and showed they are investing in the experience but instead they simply pay the dividends to the investor while holding a huge "FU" & "TY" simultaneously. The B1G simply refuses to enhance the viewing experience on BTN+ (more like BTN Sucks). The only male sports they've invested in is football and only slightly in basketball. Though at least in basketball they spread the conference games out so each is televised. So yeah.. they've invested in basketball.

18 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I think everyone would rather watch a live event over a replay event. Keep the replay events on the btn+ and see how many people will actually pay to watch it. They know full well the answer is zero (or close to zero) and so, for profits sake, put the live event on btn+ with mostly s#!t camera work and often atrocious play by play. I'd actually subscribe to btn+ if they used a little professionalism and showed they are investing in the experience but instead they simply pay the dividends to the investor while holding a huge "FU" & "TY" simultaneously. The B1G simply refuses to enhance the viewing experience on BTN+ (more like BTN Sucks). The only male sports they've invested in is football and only slightly in basketball. Though at least in basketball they spread the conference games out so each is televised. So yeah.. they've invested in basketball.

I honestly never watch BTN unless there is a live game on that I want to watch.  I couldn't care less about any of their other programing.  If there's a live event that's happening that fans want to see, the network should be doing everything they can to get it on the network regular channel.

• Thanks 1
On 3/7/2024 at 11:28 AM, Loebarth said:

It's probably not your cup of tea and I realize I'm nitpicking here but the Big Ten has heavily invested in wrestling the last couple years and really turned into a great TV product. They've really blown up their 'Friday Night Wrestling' thing and done a nice job of showcasing great matchups. Granted this can be done because the Big Ten is the big dog in college wrestling. 

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

It's probably not your cup of tea and I realize I'm nitpicking here but the Big Ten has heavily invested in wrestling the last couple years and really turned into a great TV product. They've really blown up their 'Friday Night Wrestling' thing and done a nice job of showcasing great matchups. Granted this can be done because the Big Ten is the big dog in college wrestling. 

I enjoy wrestling, was a state qualifier 3 of 4 years in high school. (best finish 5th @ 119) Wrestling however is not a profitable sport. Not even in Iowa is it a profitable sport. Baseball on the other hand can be "if" there was only a little effort put forth by the conference but they instead push a "fairness" agenda in spring saying there's just not enough viewers to promote every spring sport so instead of focusing on one (like they do in the fall & winter, football & basketball respectively). The promote a fairness schedule of sports that have a small number of viewers. I will credit the B1G for change as they did over the last two fall seasons program more volleyball which was fun to see. So change can happen.

Baseball could and should be the primary spring sport and the rest of the programing sprinkled in. Midweek & weekends should have 2 games each day. So 2 on Tuesday & Wednesday (4 total), 2 on each of the weekend dates (6 total). Thats 10 conference games weekly. There is 8 weeks of conference play equating to 60 games that could be programmed. In those 8 weeks they could program the midweek schedules as well resulting in 32 midweek games. In total, before conference tournament play begins that would equate to 92 games... Guess what conference has made "that" commitment?

Edit..

Remember also, some of those lost potential revenue games could be programmed by Fox Sports or even, dare I say it, the "P" word?

22 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

I enjoy wrestling, was a state qualifier 3 of 4 years in high school. (best finish 5th @ 119) Wrestling however is not a profitable sport. Not even in Iowa is it a profitable sport. Baseball on the other hand can be "if" there was only a little effort put forth by the conference but they instead push a "fairness" agenda in spring saying there's just not enough viewers to promote every spring sport so instead of focusing on one (like they do in the fall & winter, football & basketball respectively). The promote a fairness schedule of sports that have a small number of viewers. I will credit the B1G for change as they did over the last two fall seasons program more volleyball which was fun to see. So change can happen.

Baseball could and should be the primary spring sport and the rest of the programing sprinkled in. Midweek & weekends should have 2 games each day. So 2 on Tuesday & Wednesday (4 total), 2 on each of the weekend dates (6 total). Thats 10 conference games weekly. There is 8 weeks of conference play equating to 60 games that could be programmed. In those 8 weeks they could program the midweek schedules as well resulting in 32 midweek games. In total, before conference tournament play begins that would equate to 92 games... Guess what conference has made "that" commitment?

Edit..

Remember also, some of those lost potential revenue games could be programmed by Fox Sports or even, dare I say it, the "P" word?

You didn't say anything about profitable your quote was listed below:

41 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The B1G simply refuses to enhance the viewing experience on BTN+ (more like BTN Sucks). The only male sports they've invested in is football and only slightly in basketball.

I'm simply pushing back on that notion as the Big Ten has invested in making wrestling a more enjoyable sport to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 11:47 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly never watch BTN unless there is a live game on that I want to watch.  I couldn't care less about any of their other programing.  If there's a live event that's happening that fans want to see, the network should be doing everything they can to get it on the network regular channel.

"The Journey" can be interesting some of the time.  Gives a little insight into some of the athletes in the B1G.  Usually just football & men's basketball but it could be expanded to other sports pretty easily. Otherwise I agree that there is no reason to show replays of games that have already happened & call them "classics".

I think one of the problems on the baseball front (and pretty much every non-football/basketball sport) is that there aren't many former B1G baseball that have name recognition that can do color commentary.