USC downplaying NU game

valentine,

I know you are devout Husker fan, we all love them, but we do not have anywhere near the talent that SC has. Not even close. At least a couple more years of recruting to even think about it.

We have very good starters in most positions. SC has very good players three deep in the rotation. If it comes down to injuries we will be in deep deep trouble.

We both have dinged up secondaries. But over all their strength there will be to their benefit.

Oline play by Nebraska will decide this game. Zac stays on his feet we have a great chance of playing with the Trojans. The Dline will dictate how good our secondary plays. Lots of preasure we survive, no preasure and it will over by half time.

And there is no disrespect in those comments. It is just the way Nebraska felt after winning 3 our to 4 NC games. It is a way of life for them just as it was for us.

skers is right on the money......talent wise we are truly no match, not yet anyway.......but i do believe with Keller coming on line next season and if we can improve our DB's by then, with the rest of the good players returning and playing in Lincoln, we got a legitimate shot in 2007........USC will have to make a lot of mistakes for us to win the game this year.....if we can keep it within 2 TD's it will be a good experience......this team has to grow and it won't happen overnite

hunter

I think Matt's comments honestly portray the feelings of the team at the time.

USC does have a lot of talent and experience though.

Didn't realize the state that the Nebraska defense is in.

Took a look at the stats and was surprised.

I know it's way too early but here are the defensive stats after one game.

About,

29th in points.

57th in total yards.

87th in passing yards.

32nd in rushing yards.

If those stats stay that way it will be very hard to expect many wins.

Glad to see that USC fans have found the forum here.

Must be nice having two weeks to prepare for a game.

Have fun.

As USC is not taken us seriously, we should not look past Nicholas St on Saturday. I mean anything can happen in college football. If they go out and are all thinking about USC, it could end up like Montana St and Colorado      

Seriously though, we should take care of business on Sat., get a solid week of practice leading up to USC and just go out and play our game. As long as we don't have stupid mistakes and CATCH THE BALL , things will take care of themselves. I am not expecting a win, but I do expect us to compete and play great football. If we win, that is icing on the cake.

:yeah we should look past Nicholas St. we should prepare for USC :restore

I disagree with the fact we should look past Nicholas St. The team, i'm sure, knows what their doing and they can't afford to "Look" past Nicholas St. Again, look at Colorado last weekend. They looked past, who was it again?! We are good but no one is good enough to shrug off one game to look ahead to the next week. Let's stay in the here and now and cheer them on this saturday and then look forward to USC.

:restore

Im not saying that we should look past Nicholls State but I think we need to use some of the plays that we are going to use against USC. Possibly even use a trick play or two just so that USC is preparing for a ton of different stuff and they are always thinking about a trick play in the back of their minds. Carrol is not stupid, he has our tapes from last year and know exactly what we are going to run, wouldn't it be in our best interest to practice these plays in a game atmosphere to get comfortable running them.

Totally wrong.

USC is giving every bit of respect that they give every team on their schedule. One game at a time.

They will be ready to play. Not a question in my mind. But that is the way PC does it. One game at a time, every game, every year.

Your reading things into comments that are made in program lingo. They prepare for Nebraska just like they would prepare for Fresno State, the week before. It has worked for the last four years, no reason to change it now.

Totally wrong.

USC is giving every bit of respect that they give every team on their schedule. One game at a time.

They will be ready to play. Not a question in my mind. But that is the way PC does it. One game at a time, every game, every year.

Your reading things into comments that are made in program lingo. They prepare for Nebraska just like they would prepare for Fresno State, the week before. It has worked for the last four years, no reason to change it now.

:yeah

That's exactly what I love to see! They seem pretty over confident, and the funny thing is the people talking now have rid the bench for those 46 of 48 games and now after 1 game think they can talk the talk, we shall see if they can walk the walk. Plus anything they want to say that might fire up our team is just plain stupid. I hope Nebraska knows to just keep there mouth shut, we don't need to talk, just play.

No offense, but USC should be doing the talking. They have played a bunch of Nebraska's in those 48 games, and they beat all of them but two. Until someone says otherwise on the field, they are walking the walk!!

Sounds to me like a case of excessive hubris. I would absolutely love to see the NU pull it out, however unlikely that may be.

Trojan fan- that comment about Fresno State seems to do more damage to your argument than good. If a top-notch program like USC almost comes up short against unranked Fresno St. of the WAC, it appears as if they may have glossed over them- downplayed them if you will.

I doubt coach Pete would overlook NU, but the players seem to have an invincible feeling that perhaps they should not have. If anyone overlooks NU it will be the players. USC has had some great teams for sure in the past few years, but it's easy to feel invincible in the pleasantly soft Pac-10. :)

I don’t think the Pac 10 is soft (but the Cal loss to Tennessee certainly didn’t help). The SEC and the Big have an argument, but the Big 12 doesn’t. The Pac-10 is widely considered to be better than the Big 12.

Outside of Texas, you have the following:

• An Oklahoma team with no QB – pretty much an 8 win team.

• Nebraska – pretty good, and getting better, but not considered anything more than a 8 win team at the moment

• Texas Tech – a circus sideshow passing offense and no defense

• Colorado – lost to a D-IAA team

• Baylor – LOL

• Iowa State – good at beating Iowa and no one else

• Oklahoma State – bring back Barry Sanders!

• A&M – biggest disappointment this side of Cal

• Missouri – even with Brad Smith they were bad

• The Kansas schools – don’t deserve to be broken out separately

Associated Press agrees: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../608190364/1019

Look, the Pac 10 is nothing to write home about this year (though I think Oregon will surprise some people), but they are still better than the Big 12.

I would probally put the Big 12 and the Pac 10 on the same page. They each have the standout team (USC, Texas), Second tier teams (Cal, ASU, Oregon - Nebraska, Tech, Oklahoma) Third tier teams (Iowa State, Missouri, ATM, Baylor -UCLA, Arizona, Wash State) and then the rest. Plus, the Big 12 went 2-1 against the Pac 10 last year.

If a top-notch program like USC almost comes up short against unranked Fresno St. of the WAC, it appears as if they may have glossed over them- downplayed them if you will.

I doubt coach Pete would overlook NU, but the players seem to have an invincible feeling that perhaps they should not have. If anyone overlooks NU it will be the players. USC has had some great teams for sure in the past few years, but it's easy to feel invincible in the pleasantly soft Pac-10. :)

Good point. There is only so much Pete Carrol can do. USC has a lot of talent. Even their backups are talented. But we have a more seasoned team. And the trojans need to gel as a team. They may have won 27 home games in a row but they are ripe for an upset.

I don’t think the Pac 10 is soft (but the Cal loss to Tennessee certainly didn’t help). The SEC and the Big have an argument, but the Big 12 doesn’t. The Pac-10 is widely considered to be better than the Big 12.

Outside of Texas, you have the following:

• An Oklahoma team with no QB – pretty much an 8 win team.

• Nebraska – pretty good, and getting better, but not considered anything more than a 8 win team at the moment

• Texas Tech – a circus sideshow passing offense and no defense

• Colorado – lost to a D-IAA team

• Baylor – LOL

• Iowa State – good at beating Iowa and no one else

• Oklahoma State – bring back Barry Sanders!

• A&M – biggest disappointment this side of Cal

• Missouri – even with Brad Smith they were bad

• The Kansas schools – don’t deserve to be broken out separately

Associated Press agrees: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../608190364/1019

Look, the Pac 10 is nothing to write home about this year (though I think Oregon will surprise some people), but they are still better than the Big 12.

Say what you will about the Big 12 being soft- the past 2 years in a row an 8-4 team from the Big 12 has beat a 10-1 team from the Pac 10. You knock Texas Tech, but they (as the fourth best Big 12 team) beat one loss Cal (the widely accepted 2nd best team in the Pac 10 at the time- bitter they didn't get a BCS bid) and Oklahoma may have quarterback problems but they were still good enough to take down 10-1 Oregon.

Of course the AP would say that the Pac-10 is tougher than the Big 12, where do you think all the AP writers live? Nebraska?

Don't get me wrong, the Pac 10 is a legit conference (unlike the damn Big East conference- win one game against Louisville and all of the sudden you're undefeated) but I think it is softer than the Big 12. I think there is wide agreement that the SEC and the Big 10 are tougher, but after that I think it's the Big 12.

Back to the point, I think USC's coaches will not downplay the game but based on virtually everything I've read from USC players it sounds like they are chuck full of hubris- only a portion of which is deserved. (You know, you didn't win last year guys)