Lets be realistic about USC

Nate

You have a good point that there is such a variety of things to do in L.A., plus you also have UCLA and California University nearby. L.A. has millions of people versus 200,000 in Lincoln in a city with not nearly as much to do. Perhaps we are comparing apples to oranges?

I'm sure you are right that the majority of the fans will be USC's. Why wouldn't they be? Perhaps if we played USC some years back when they were down, we could had pulled a Notre Dame on you. But certainly not now.

As far as beating USC, I think Callahan is looking at the success factor in recruiting prospects in California. But frankly I'm not counting on a victory in your house. It's possible, but I think you have too much deph for us. I think our starters can match with you, but probably not our second and third stringers.

Isn't practically every player you have at least a four star out of high school?

I'd love to see NU win, but after watching about 1/2 of the LaTech game I don't think we are good enough yet. The Blackshirts had just 2 sacks in the LaTech game and their QB was finding open receivers very, very often. The only interception came late in the game by a linebacker (Ruud), not a corner or safety.

Maybe Coz decided not to show what our D is capable of. Maybe our pass rushers just couldn't get motivated. Maybe the LaTech line was better than I thought. And maybe we are a good, improving team, but not yet a great team.

I don't think USC will roll over us, but I just don't think we can beat them yet.

Yeah F that if Bootie hears anything other than my Big Red voice from the 38th row of section 2 than my job has failed.

My job won't fail.

When I leave, I won't have had a day off in almost a month. I have wanted nothing other than to leave this place for the last 3 months. But my Husker spirit will be gleaming. I will yell like no other. It will be on.

Maybe Coz decided not to show what our D is capable of. Maybe our pass rushers just couldn't get motivated. Maybe the LaTech line was better than I thought. And maybe we are a good, improving team, but not yet a great team.

I think you are right on all of those thought. Callahan or Cosgrove stated that we only ran about 4-6 packages on defense, so that tells me that they were not running everything that they could have been running to shut down La Tech. Which in turn could unmotivate the pass rush because they only have about four or six different looks to show an offense. As far an underrating La Tech's offensive line, I think many people just saw La Tech as a push over game and thought that everyone on La Tech's team was not very good. They actually have some very good players on their team, but they are all very young and inexperienced. And to go along with your last point about us being good but not great. I think everyone would agree with you there. We have a very tough schedule with several question marks about our team left to be unanswered. But we are improving and have the talent in key areas to keep us in all of the games.

wow, a couple of you have really blown my post out of proportion. Part of the reason that Callahan studied the trojan offense was to learn from in to make his own better. The man works 14-16 hour days everyday. Devoting a bit of time to watching the best team in the country is not unusual for a coach or a bad thing. I gaurantee that Mack Brown was scouting Ohio State far in advance, and vice versa. When you have a test like that on your schedule, you better prepare ahead...

I think our front 7 is better than most people think, but I think our back 4 are weaker than most people think. I pray our front 7 can keep the heat on USC because if they don't it won't be pretty.

If Callahan doesn't put Octavien on the field I'm going to GO CRAZY! LET HIM PLAY!!!! He's our best coverage linebacker- he's our best linebacker period. I could go on like this forever. :boxosoap

don't think USC is as good as they were last year with Bush and Leinart and they lost a lot of starters but their depth is good.

OF COURSE they're not as good as last year. Hell, USC was over rated last year...big time.

Granted, Nebraska isn't in it's Frazier days either but I honestly think (no bias) that we have a good shot of taking this game from USC.

Like someone said earlier...we have to play error free football.

If I was walking up to this game and going to bet...if I wasn't a fan of either team and my pure motivation was to make money...my bet would be no more 7-10 to USC.

Now, do I think it will happen like this? I don't know...NOBODY DOES. Make your predictions and your guarantees but also remember that HALF OF YOU will be wrong.

Think about it.

Fact - Nebraska CAN win this game. It is by no means impossible or even close to impossible. NU could come away with the win and I think they have a good shot.

Now....let us pray!

don't think USC is as good as they were last year with Bush and Leinart and they lost a lot of starters but their depth is good.

OF COURSE they're not as good as last year. Hell, USC was over rated last year...big time.

Granted, Nebraska isn't in it's Frazier days either but I honestly think (no bias) that we have a good shot of taking this game from USC.

Like someone said earlier...we have to play error free football.

If I was walking up to this game and going to bet...if I wasn't a fan of either team and my pure motivation was to make money...my bet would be no more 7-10 to USC.

Now, do I think it will happen like this? I don't know...NOBODY DOES. Make your predictions and your guarantees but also remember that HALF OF YOU will be wrong.

Think about it.

Fact - Nebraska CAN win this game. It is by no means impossible or even close to impossible. NU could come away with the win and I think they have a good shot.

Now....let us pray!

Definately take the points if you are a betting man. We are going to take a lot of USC fans by surprise. We will probably have at least thirty five thousand husker fans there. Plus we are returning a veteran team. While USC has a lot of raw talent they are not experienced. Sure they have a nice twenty seven game winning streak going but these guys don't even expect Nebraska to compete with them.