Let's Talk Football... UPDATED

C-West

If the running game doesnt jump off for the huskers and Lucky comes into the game, the screen pass is going to be used to try to open the offense up and hold up pressure. I also think that moving the pocket for ZT to throw downfield is very effective. The key to beating Texas is to make sure that their O-line stays honest. The multiple looks the WCO gives (specifically the 2-3 TE sets) should help slow down the LBs on both run defense and the pass rush. Im putting the UT game on the shoulders of the Husker O-Line. Bottom line. If they dont play well, we're done for.

Oh, and I think that If we win, its going to be because our Offense goes off. I dont see the Blackshirts holding Texas to fewer that 24 points.

If the running game doesnt jump off for the huskers and Lucky comes into the game, the screen pass is going to be used to try to open the offense up and hold up pressure. I also think that moving the pocket for ZT to throw downfield is very effective. The key to beating Texas is to make sure that their O-line stays honest. The multiple looks the WCO gives (specifically the 2-3 TE sets) should help slow down the LBs on both run defense and the pass rush. Im putting the UT game on the shoulders of the Husker O-Line. Bottom line. If they dont play well, we're done for.

Oh, and I think that If we win, its going to be because our Offense goes off. I dont see the Blackshirts holding Texas to fewer that 24 points.

I think I'd agree. Two or 3 NU TD's won't do it against the horns. The O line has to produce and it's going to be a good test.

But first, we have to neuter the purple kitties.

My thoughts are on KSU as well. I live in Texas (Military) so I'll finally have a game to root for my team at damnit!

Where you live in Tex C-WEst?

And welcome, btw.

Currently live in Houston, Darveaux. In response to some of the others, if you can score 25 points on our defense then that might, in fact, be enough. As I've said before, our offense is not as good as our scoring average indicates. We put up 7 against Ohio State and 21 against Oklahoma. Scoring 25 on this defense is easier said than done though.

One question I have is about the speed of your DE's and linebackers. If they're fast, and can shut down our runningbacks before they get to the edge, then Nebraska has an excellent chance to shut us down. As I've said before, we don't run much between the tackles. What are your bookends like?

I noticed that your secondary is a concern for some. With Bowman out, who do you think's going to match up with Sweed?

Our offensive line play is incredibly improved from last year. However, they will be sorely tested by UT's front four. USC's front gave them trouble, and I expect the same from UT.

Even with the improvement, there a little above average in my opinion. We ran well against ISU, but in the thrid we were 3 and out a bunch of time quite quickly. :nanalama

C-West again welcome..................to answer your questions about our DE's bottom line is that they are fantastic...........Carriker is a horse and will most likely go round 1 in the NFL draft this next year......Our big problem is that he hasn't been able to do much as far as sacks go because he is constantly double teamed.....so in a way he is freeing up another guy, but he hasn't put the numbers up that we originally thought he would. If your offensive line doesn't do their job I would imagine we will get some sacks on McCoy. Our LB's are fairly good, but just need to get some more experience and they will most likely be great next year. Our secondary is of great concern to all of us and if Colt airs it out and Sweed gets some time we are in for a long day.

Our offense is the power of our team. Between our receivers and running backs we have so many threats it's rediculous. The only thing is that we haven't been airing it out like we all originally thought Callahan should, but he's the coach and we are the fans so we just have to trust him......It should be a shoot out and the teams look like a fairly good match-up on paper.....This game scares the hell outta me and to be honest with you after we lost to USC this is our other big match-up of the year and if we win this it will show that our program is going in the right direction. A lot of people think that we probably don't have the confidence to take on Texas, but those are the teams you have to watch out for!!! I can't wait for that day it's the only game I get to go to and I hope you enjoy your time in Lincoln!!!!

I would say that our ends are faster than most ends that Texas will play. Our linebackers on the other hand seem be just a little slow. Hopefully Steve Octavien can be back at 100% which will help our overall speed at the lb position. It does seem though that misdirection will fool our linebackers as they just can't seem to read a play or account for cut back lanes all the time. They will do good one game but then they will lose focus and forget to play their assignments in other games.

Well, I promised to bump this thread after we had taken care of our respective opponents last weekend, so here you go. Now that you can turn all your attention to the game this weekend, let's hear it. Here are some of my impressions from our game this weekend.

The Baylor game for us only solidified some of the summary that I gave in my initial post. As I said, I was worried about our DB's and their knack for giving up big plays when biting on the play-action. It came back to haunt us again this weekend, when on the FIRST play from scrimmage, Baylor scored a touchdown on a playaction pass.

In fairness, two of our starting DB's were out due to injury. The rumor is that senior Tarrell Brown has broken his toe. I think that safety Marcus Griffin was held out for precautionary reasons though. If we start the same defensive backfield against the Huskers as we did against Baylor, the game's going to be a shootout. Baylor picked on Tarrell Brown's replacement (FR D. Beasley) all night long.... with success.

So keep an eye on the status of Brown. Our DB's look completely different with him in the game.

As far as offense goes, I hate to keep saying it, but don't let the stats fool you into thinking we had our way with Baylor. They held us to three - three and outs to start the game and we eventually just wore them down with strength and athleticism. We won't be able to rely on that against your Huskers.

Again, I'll go back to my initial post when I said that Colt's still under the gun as far at the fan base goes. As wrong as it is, the kid threw for 6 touchdowns this past weekend and Orangebloods was full of posts saying he didn't look good doing it. The bottom line is that although he still makes some questionable throws into coverage, he's getting the job done partially due to the playmakers around him, which, in my opinion, is all I wanted from one of the QB's coming into the season.

The key for Nebraska is to get pressure on him early. I'm going to agree with some posters on here that have said the most telling matchup in this game is going to be your defensive front against our O-Line. If the D can rattle Colt early (even with some hurries, not necessarily sacks), this game could easily go Nebraska's way. On the other hand, if our O-Line is the one that gets the push, I like our chances.

Thanks for bumping this thread, I can’t wait for this game. Especially living in Texas.

I agree that this game will be decided on the line of scrimmage. Nebraska needs to control Charles and Young and make Colt hurry. He wont be able to make the plays against Nebraska that he did against Baylor.

The Nebraska O-line needs to beat Texas off the ball and out physical them. Texas’s front line will be just as good as USC’s if not better. We have to be able to run the ball, or else too much pressure will be put on the blackshirts to make a lot of stops. We can’t have very many 3 and outs.

Open mouth, insert foot...........

Congrats on the victory on Saturday over Baylor, glad I didn't put money on the dog. Look forward to the matchup on Saturday!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Going back to an earlier question I had on this thread.... I notice that some of you are concerned with Sweed's size. Since Bowman's out, who on your team do you think is going to matchup with him? I'm not familiar with your corners and am wondering if this is going to be one of the key matchups to watch in the game.

Do you guys have a true shutdown corner on your team?

I'm headed out tomorrow morning and am already completely worthless at work. Can't wait to get up there.

Open mouth, insert foot...........

Congrats on the victory on Saturday over Baylor, glad I didn't put money on the dog. Look forward to the matchup on Saturday!

:bonez:bonez:bonez

Going back to an earlier question I had on this thread.... I notice that some of you are concerned with Sweed's size. Since Bowman's out, who on your team do you think is going to matchup with him? I'm not familiar with your corners and am wondering if this is going to be one of the key matchups to watch in the game.

Do you guys have a true shutdown corner on your team?

I'm headed out tomorrow morning and am already completely worthless at work. Can't wait to get up there.

We do not have a shut down corner, but our best guy is Andre Jones, who was the top JC CB in the country last year, just as Bowman was the year before. Jones is about 6 feet tall, and runs very well. He's improved a lot in the last couple of weeks. He is not a physical player, and seems to have some trouble finidng the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if UT runs a couple of fades when they get near the goal line.

The other corner is 5' 9" Courtney Grixby. Bless his heart, he's just overmatched against big, physical receivers, which are becoming the staple in the Big 12. He's the guy UT should, and likely will, target.

We've got to be able to get pressure on McCoy. UT's receivers are too talented.