800 wins

Husker Football Notes, 10/15: NU joins elite 800-win club

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Oct 15, 2006 - 12:37:56 am CDT

MANHATTAN, Kan. — Nebraska reached a program milestone Saturday night, capturing its 800th all-time triumph. The Huskers joined Michigan, Notre Dame and Texas in the elite club.

It wasn’t the first time Nebraska beat Kansas State for a milestone win. The Huskers defeated the Wildcats for win No. 500 in October of 1976. Twenty years later, NU beat K-State for No. 700.

Three Nebraska head coaches combined for 414 of the 800 victories.

Bob Devaney had a record of 101-20-2 (.829) from 1962-72, Tom Osborne was 255-49-3 (.836) from 1973-97, and Frank Solich 58-19 (.753) from 1998-2003.

Since 1970, the Huskers are the nation’s winningest program with 365 triumphs.

Since yall mentioned beating Miami already, I'll have to say I'll never forget the "game of the century" on Thanksgiving Day. I believe Nebraska, Oklahoma and Colorado ended up 1, 2, 3 that year, 1971. I could be wrong on the details. That was an amazing battle between two great teams. Huskers vs. the Sooners was a true rivalry.

I was too young to see the 95 Orange Bowl or 96 Fiesta, but have seen the tapes plenty, so my favorite watching live is Mizzou in 97. I remember screaming so loud when we won, my little bother started crying because he didn't know what was going on. 01 OU is a close second though.

That's too bad you were too young. That was a time frame when Nebraska was absolutely the best team in college football. Not for a season or two but for years. Collectively, those teams Osborne had back then just may be the best teams put together by any coach for the best part of a hundred years.

I'd put that 95 team up against any college football team ever.

That 95 Huskers team could beat anyone in the history of college football. I would have loved to follow them that season though. Hopefully someday I can buy the dvd set of every game that year. I have the Fiesta Bowl, and that never gets old, but I want to see the rest of the domination in its fullest form!