Husker felons....

Help me out here. My roomate gives me crap about Nebraska using convicted felons back in the 90's to play football...usually bringing it up when I mention the tradition and excellence of the Husker program.

I know the Lawrence Phillips incident...but what other players have had rap sheets either coming into Nebraska or while playing at Nebraska? What about afterwards?

There are some anti-Husker fans who are in a time warp. We indeed had a major problem in the mid-'90s, especially in 1995. But since then we haven't had that many problems. Fools who still want to bring this up should look at other schools at the present time and compare them to NU in the last five years. As for the mid-'90s, that was then; this is now. Get out of your time warp. :angry:

Reggie Baul

i remember most of these guys and their off-field incidents, but i'm drawing a blank with reggie...

Eric Warfield

I'm not defeding his DUIs but its hard to consider this guy as a criminal. He's very good with charities and what not, by all accounts a really good guy. unfortunately he just has?/had a very dangerous drinking problem.

Riley Washington shot up a gas station I believe he was with bulletbutt Abdul. S. Wiggins messed around with a 14 year old.

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Riley get out of that? the guy he supposedely shot skipped court, ran outta town and the cops never found him from what i remember.

We indeed had a major problem in the mid-'90s, especially in 1995

its also worse when the media magnifies it. that team wasn't void of problem children, but the "Is Nebraska like Miami" media blitz made it sound much worse than it was IMO.

It also didn't help that Nebraska was not only a high profile team, but that LP was a major Hypesman candidate. I remember an article just before the Fiesta Bowl listing Florida's player problems that NEVER came up on ESPN/CBS. for example, one player had beat the crap out his pregnant girlfriend...

not to mention, as usual with the media, ESPN would report charges then forget to report when players were exhonerated- Damon Benning for example.

Before LP the media generally ignored problem players at NU just as they did with other schools (except Miami), then LP happens and all the sudden they dig up every incident over a few years and make it sound like it all happened at once. or at least that's how it seemed.

in short, there were some bad apples at that time, no doubt, but it was skewed a bit when you consider the intense media pressure on that issue that year.

If your roomie wants to judge Nebraska's entire history on LP, then that's his problem.

also, i've found that, even now, the name "Brook Berringer" tends to shut CU fans up pretty quick when they get goin' on LP.

major culbert is not a convicted fellon, he plead guilty to a misdomeanor not a felony account.

vedral was charged with rape but was found not guilty

i might be wrong but i dont think that there were many if any "CONVICTED" felons while they played for NU. Alot of the felony probablems happened after they left the program. every school has problems and NU is no exception, but i think that NU has alot less then some of the other schools out there.