greatest Heisman-possible players to never win it

What no love for Troy Davis?

Vince Youngs Junior year ranks up there with anybody ever. He basically beat USC by himself as well as a couple other games that year. Peterson didn't perform in Big Games which is what gets votes as well. Career stats for Young 29-2 as a starter 61% completion 5773 yards passing with 44 tds. 2927 yards rushing with 34 tds. The year he should have won the Heisman he passed for 2769 and 26 tds. Led the nation in QB rating with 168.6 and tou can add 850 yards and 9 tds rushing the ball.

I realize we all know he's a total jackass now, but I think Lawrence Phillips was as good as any running back that never won it. I heard he may get a movie role in 'The Longest Yard' part III !

He was great, but Tommie was more of a playmaker. Don't get me wrong, LP was one of the best backs at the time, but Tommie had the power, speed, and elusiveness at a position with more Heisman leway

wha? no Rick Mirer? that's a travesty, he should be on there twice!

I would say that quarterback is a position of heisman leway if one is a prototypical quarterback and not an option quarterback. That is probally what kept some voters from voting for Frazier.

non-pro style QBs like Ward and that Crouch have won it. meanwhile a very pro style Manning didn't win it...

if the voters went purely by NFL potential the Heisman winners list would look a tad bit different.

I remember at the time, there was a theory that Troy Davis took a lot of votes away from Tommie. b/c, as one would expect, voters tend to go along regional lines. so midwest votes were shared between Davis and Tommie. Not to mention, Eddie George certainly wasn't hurt by the fact that he played for a team from the beloved Big 10.

also, reaching a bit here, but I can't imagine "the LP thing" helped Frazier either. It seems dumb to blame Tommie for what LP did but you know there were some voters who wouldn't vote for him because they vilinized Nebraska. Probably not enough to make a real difference in the end though.

I remember there being written about a large discussion among Heisman voters after the Feista Bowl that they had voted for the wrong player. Frazier was the better player and got robbed.

What no love for Troy Davis?

Vince Youngs Junior year ranks up there with anybody ever. He basically beat USC by himself as well as a couple other games that year. Peterson didn't perform in Big Games which is what gets votes as well. Career stats for Young 29-2 as a starter 61% completion 5773 yards passing with 44 tds. 2927 yards rushing with 34 tds. The year he should have won the Heisman he passed for 2769 and 26 tds. Led the nation in QB rating with 168.6 and tou can add 850 yards and 9 tds rushing the ball.

Both are good examples of why Heisman voting should not take place before the end of the Bowl Season

But Young only had one outstanding year, and I would put Peterson's freshman year ahead of Young's Junior year. Plus, the games that Peterson played in during his sophomore and junior year, he truely dominated the game moreso than Young during his freshman and sophomore game.

I'm too young to remember Jim Brown's college days so I really can't comment on him compared to AP.

But who has a national championship ring?

But Young only had one outstanding year, and I would put Peterson's freshman year ahead of Young's Junior year. Plus, the games that Peterson played in during his sophomore and junior year, he truely dominated the game moreso than Young during his freshman and sophomore game.

I'm too young to remember Jim Brown's college days so I really can't comment on him compared to AP.

But who has a national championship ring?

That is not a qualification for the Heisman. Plus, Young had the better team, IMO.