How Great Can NU BBall Get?

I have NO reason to suspect the turnaround Doc can effect at NU to be unlike the one his mentor and former head coach, Billy Gillispie, did at A&M.

Before Gillispie we were 0-16 in Conference. His first year we were 8-8 in conference, and made the 3rd round of the NIT. His 2nd year we were 10-6 in conference, and made it to the 2nd round of the dance, to be undone on a desperation 3 at the buzzer by LSU. THIS year, we have a preseason ranking as high as #9 in some polls. The recruiting classes he's brought in are the best in school history.

I expect Sandler to do the same to NU. I don't know if it'll be that QUICK, but it will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

A program like KU or UNC? Gee, maybe Nebraska can start winning Final Fours. Maybe all the big bluechip recruits will want to play Husker basketball in the palace known at the Devaney Center. Then you guys would be pretty darn awesome. Ppffththththtthh! Dude, come back to planet Earth.

The other goal- that it would be nice to start to even up the rivalry with Creighton. That would be a more reasonable goal for you to shoot for. Even at that, you're WAY behind. Dana Altman is a superb coach and Creighton's recruiting classes are picking up steam as the Jays become more and more of a national player. So even tackling that task is very steep. Turning into a powerhouse program like UNC? That's... well that's pretty much ridiculous.

A program like KU or UNC? Gee, maybe Nebraska can start winning Final Fours. Maybe all the big bluechip recruits will want to play Husker basketball in the palace known at the Devaney Center. Then you guys would be pretty darn awesome. Ppffththththtthh! Dude, come back to planet Earth.

The other goal- that it would be nice to start to even up the rivalry with Creighton. That would be a more reasonable goal for you to shoot for. Even at that, you're WAY behind. Dana Altman is a superb coach and Creighton's recruiting classes are picking up steam as the Jays become more and more of a national player. So even tackling that task is very steep. Turning into a powerhouse program like UNC? That's... well that's pretty much ridiculous.

If we played in the f'ing MO valley we would make the tourney every year.

WOW

My goals aren't that high. I'd be happy with a respectable basketball program which we have not had in a long time since Devaney (if ever).

Couldn't agree with you more, I'd be happy to finish in the top 6 of the Big XII. BTW, I think we'll be feeling the repercussions from the inept former coaching staff for at least a year, possibly two.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen the early recruiting class rankings for 2007 but Doc's got a class that's ranked as high as 20 in some publications. Not bad for getting a late start. Just imagine what he'll be able to do with a full year of recruiting.

He can bring in the talent. Time will show if he can coach it. I think he can, and this team could make the Creighton rivalry a good rivalry, and they could make the big dance consistently.

I'm calling KC Husker out on this one specifically, this one's for you pally...

If you guys played in the Missouri Valley, you would finish somewhere in the ballpark of 5th-6th(generously). I definitely place UNL behind Creighton, Southern Illinois, Wichita State, and Missouri State for sure.. possibly behind Northern Iowa as well. All of the aforementioned teams have more tourney experience/better RPIs/overall better success than the inept Huskers. Don't give yourself so much credit- the Missouri Valley is a much better conference than you would care to admit. I'd even consider placing you guys 7th behind Bradley, but Patrick O'Bryant left for the NBA. Either way, the Huskers would be just as unsuccessful in the MO Valley as they are in the Big XII. An objective and knowledgable NCAA hoops fan knows the MO Valley is rapidly becoming a conference you don't mess with (with regards to the top half of the conference).

P.S. If the MO Valley is so weak, then why did we have two teams in the Sweet Sixteen last year? You think because you play in the Big XII that it makes you good? Congratulations on being the sh*tbird of your conference, you must be very proud.

If you think our conference is so weak, see how your AD would feel about scheduling Wichita State, SIU, and Missouri State along with us for more non-con games. I really think you'd find getting wins in there would be practically non-existant.

If you really think MO Valley is weak, either you've had your head in the sand the past few years and haven't noticed the talent cropping up there or you're just frusterated that a so-called mid-major conference could have so many programs with more success than the pathetic big school Huskers.

If you plan to reply to this, bring something tangible to show to me that the Huskers are/have been better than the top half of the MO Valley. Good luck.