Big 12 Championship thoughts

Settle down there comrades... but, uhhh.. don't we have a game in college station next week?

Yeah, it would suck if we were to lose next week because we, the fans who aren't even going to be near the field, got ahead of our selves and talked about the Big 12 championship. We might not cheer loudly enough at our TVs and, as a result, the huskers will lose to A&M. We, as observers, have to remain focused on only the next game; our beer-drinking, chip-eating, and inconsequential web posts needs to remain tight, on task, and determined. If we start drinking beers while thinking or posting about the championship weeks in advance, well, we have no one to blame but ourselves when we lose sight of the short term goals: drinking beer and yelling at the TV during the A&M and CU games!

:nanalama

Im REALLY suprised witht he optimisim here! We were lucky to lose by the slight margin we did at home against texas. They missed field goals! If we play nickel or dime, have octavien and mckeon 100%, and can play call better than we did against Texas and Oklahoma St. we have a slight chance at best. Texas has a better team and our play calling will have to be top notch, we will not be able to trick play them like we did two weeks ago. It will be smash mouth football at its finest and i dont see it being a close game, Colt seems to get better and better every week. Taylor will have to play much better and have better protection which i dont see happening. I hope Im wrong, Go Big Red.

Im REALLY suprised witht he optimisim here! We were lucky to lose by the slight margin we did at home against texas. They missed field goals! If we play nickel or dime, have octavien and mckeon 100%, and can play call better than we did against Texas and Oklahoma St. we have a slight chance at best. Texas has a better team and our play calling will have to be top notch, we will not be able to trick play them like we did two weeks ago. It will be smash mouth football at its finest and i dont see it being a close game, Colt seems to get better and better every week. Taylor will have to play much better and have better protection which i dont see happening. I hope Im wrong, Go Big Red.

If I remember correctly the play calling against Texas on Oct. 21st was pretty damn good..........I don't think I disagreed with any of the plays that Cally and Co. called out there.

Our last Big 12 champ victory game in 99' which coincidently was against Texas and after we had lost to them earlier in the year in a GREAT game in Austin....Heres to hoping history repeats itself and heres to taking care of buisness so we present our self the oppurtunity to play in the Big 12 champ game!! :cheers

Go Big Red!!!

If I remember correctly the play calling against Texas on Oct. 21st was pretty damn good..........I don't think I disagreed with any of the plays that Cally and Co. called out there.

Except for not calling a timeout at the end of the game, ruining any chance for a last minute score to win the game!

Lets not mark the Colorado game down as a win just yet. They may be having a very down year. But you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be fired up and will hold nothing back when they come into to Lincoln after Thanksgiving. They will have nothing to lose and they take this game way more seriously than what Nebraska has in the past. A win against us would make their season. We cannot take them lightly.

Exactly!!! My hope is if we win in College Station this Saturday, the players don't go into cruise mode and allow sCUm to come in and get the victory.

Colt is scary - you realise he set the Texas single-season record for touchdown passes in Saturdays game against OSU - which btw, was last held by Vince Young during his best and last season with Texas! They will be better prepared for us next time - we'll have to play our best game of the season to beat them.

I'm more concerned about aTm right now - it's really hard to talk Big 12 football while living down here in TX - after all, as the leaders of the North we are unranked, and have been beaten by every South team we've played, and have lost 6 of 7 games against UT! Things have got to change! Heres to a team that is poised for greatness which should attract kind of recruits we need to take us there! :nanalama

But in our favor we will be healthy this time around. We play A&M this week then have a week off to rest and heal up. Texas has the 18th off as well but they don't have the same injury problems we do.

Just off the top of my head, the players on our defense that were out or badly hobbled by injury when we played in Lincoln:

Starting DE Brian Robison - limited from being leg whipped in the knee cap the week before and did not start.

Starting DT Derek Lokey - broke his fibula in the first or second series of the game

Starting DT Frank Okam - limited by strained hamstring

Starting LB Drew Kelson - out since early in the season with sprained ankle, and played limited snaps

His replacement LB Rod Muckelroy - out two weeks before game with ruptured tendon in finger

Freshman #1 LB recruit Sergio Kindle - out since pre-season with sprained ankle, played limited snaps.

Starting SS Michael Griffin - limited by sprained ankle

Starting FS Marcus Griffin - limited by both ankles sprained

Starting CB Tarrell Brown - broke toe the previous week, played anyway.

For the CCG, all but Lokey are already back or will definitely be back at pretty much full speed. Lokey may make it back in time for the CCG.