I think Sam Keller needs to watch out!

LINCOLN - The news out of the City College of San Francisco keeps getting better for the Nebraska football team.

Zac Lee

Just as CCSF graduate Maurice Purify hits his stride at NU, the Huskers have landed another recruit from the California junior college. And this one might throw a pass or two next year to Purify, the first-year star receiver.

Quarterback Zac Lee on Tuesday accept a Nebraska offer to begin school in January and compete next spring for the vacant starting position. His oral commitment gives Nebraska 16 for its recruiting class of 2007, including two quarterbacks.

"There's not a thing I don't like about Nebraska," Lee said. "The big thing for me was that, as this process kept going, it just felt like the right place for me."

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Lee has thrown for 3,040 yards on 205-of-321 passing (63.9 percent) with 30 touchdowns and five interceptions this fall at the powerful juco program. CCSF is 9-1 and averaging 40.3 points per game as it prepares for the Dec. 2 sectional championship.

Lee grayshirted last year, leaving him four years to play three seasons when he arrives at Nebraska in seven weeks.

He will enter a QB mix in the spring set to include current Nebraska backups Joe Ganz and Beau Davis, Arizona State transfer Sam Keller and incoming freshman Patrick Witt.

Keller, with one year of remaining eligibility, ranks as the favorite to replace two-year starter Zac Taylor. But none of the others, including Lee, figures to surrender.

"Obviously, I'd love to be the starting quarterback," Lee said, "But it's a competition. I've seen (Keller) play, and he's a great quarterback with a lot of experience at a high level. I look forward to competing with him.

"I just know whoever does get the job is going to be filling big shoes."

Lee was a three-year all-league quarterback at St. Ignatius College Prep in San Francisco. He received only marginal recruiting interest, he said, because he focused on baseball in the spring and summer.

Army offered a scholarship, but Lee opted instead for junior college.

Apparently, it was a good move.

"He's a tremendous prospect," said Dan Hayes, the offensive coordinator at the City College of San Francisco. "He's a very high-level guy, and he's got every single quality you're looking for."

Brad Hoiseth of jcgridiron.com rates Lee as the nation's No. 2 junior college QB. Lee has also rushed for five touchdowns this season and clocks in the 40-yard dash at 4.7 seconds.

"He's a fairly mobile guy who has a strong arm and a sense of how to play the position," Hoiseth said. "I think he'll fit well into the West Coast system. And anything he sees at the next level is not going to shock him, because he's out there right now playing with a bunch of Division-I guys."

NU offensive line coach Dennis Wagner learned of Lee while visiting San Francisco to see Purify last year. Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jay Norvell later joined the recruiting effort.

Lee visited Nebraska Sept. 23 to watch the Huskers' 56-0 victory over Troy.

His father, Bob Lee, played quarterback in the NFL with the Vikings, Falcons and Rams from 1969 to 1980. Bob Lee threw for 1,706 with Atlanta in 1973.

He later worked as the athletic director at his alma mater, Pacific, and scheduled games at Nebraska in 1994 and 1995.

"He went there to those games, came home and told us they were good people, good football people," Zac Lee said. "I remembered that when I was making this decision. Just going in there, I'm really looking forward to learning the system and getting to know people.

"I want to compete at that level." :nanalama

My line of thought is not to redshirt him, but rather redshirt Whitt. Keller is used to competition (obviously at ASU) and we need a strong backup in case something happens to him (I don't particularly think Ganz or Davis are great prospects for backup).

What I hope to see is Keller step in and have a great year next year with Lee getting some reps in blowouts. Lee step in after that for two years, and then have a young guy take over the reigns for a 3-4 year span of time.

My line of thought is not to redshirt him, but rather redshirt Whitt. Keller is used to competition (obviously at ASU) and we need a strong backup in case something happens to him (I don't particularly think Ganz or Davis are great prospects for backup).

What I hope to see is Keller step in and have a great year next year with Lee getting some reps in blowouts. Lee step in after that for two years, and then have a young guy take over the reigns for a 3-4 year span of time.

red shirt both of them. if keller goes down pull him out of the red shirt

:yeah IMO it would be a waste of a year for him. If he's the real deal, why not have him for 3 years instead of 2? Just my 2 cents

I don't think I would trust having Ganz or Davis in there as the starting QB...just my opinion.

I AGREE WITH THIS! :restore

:yeah

Keller plays in '07. Lee comes in and gets in-game reps in '07. Can still have 2 years as a starter unless he is outperformed in '08/'09. As long as Witt doesn't go "Beck" on us and has patience, he'll still have 2 full years as a starter. Bad thing is that NCAA is such a 'play now league' now that this is a lot to ask. But we can always hope.

Beau Davis/Joe Ganz...might want to see if there are any openings on other rosters. Sorry kids.

I think he needs to redshirt and learn the system for a year. Taylor was able to learn it fairly quickly but it still took him time to really grasp the offense and for things to slow down a bit.

I agree. We need a good backup behind Keller. We have been very fortunate that Zac Taylor did not get hurt this season. We would have been in a world of hurt had that happened.

Keller will start next year for sure, he is tearing apart the defenses when he is the scout team QB so basically Keller and a bunch of walkons are looking pretty good against our 1st defense. They will redshirt Lee much like they have done with Hidlebrand.

by the way, look how much the leaving of Beck is hurting us :laughpound