The TE situation

cmb23

Someone (drowning in a sea of red) brought up a good point in another thread that really got me thinking.

He wondered 'what was up with the TE's this year' and it got me wondering too - to the point of looking at stats. According to the stats I found NU's 4 main TE's (Herian, Phillips, Mueller, Teafatiller) have combined for:

31 receptions, 309 Yards, 9 TD's.

So I went and found TE stat leaders for the nation (CBS Sportsline) so far and if our TE's were one guy:

1) He'd be 2nd in the nation in TD's (One TE has 10 TD's on the season)

2) He'd be top 25 in the nation for rec. yards (top has nearly 700)

3) He'd be top 15 in total receptions (top has over 50)

-The only thing that has changed is that we haven't had the big yardage plays stretching the field we're used to. Man I loved that option pass to the TE that Crouch ran so well.

-All of the work is being divided among multiple guys instead of one main receiving threat and the rest just blocking as in the past.

Hope that sheds a positive light on the TE situation that might be bothering some!!!!

Someone (drowning in a sea of red) brought up a good point in another thread that really got me thinking.

He wondered 'what was up with the TE's this year' and it got me wondering too - to the point of looking at stats. According to the stats I found NU's 4 main TE's (Herian, Phillips, Mueller, Teafatiller) have combined for:

31 receptions, 309 Yards, 9 TD's.

So I went and found TE stat leaders for the nation (CBS Sportsline) so far and if our TE's were one guy:

1) He'd be 2nd in the nation in TD's (One TE has 10 TD's on the season)

2) He'd be top 25 in the nation for rec. yards (top has nearly 700)

3) He'd be top 15 in total receptions (top has over 50)

-The only thing that has changed is that we haven't had the big yardage plays stretching the field we're used to. Man I loved that option pass to the TE that Crouch ran so well.

-All of the work is being divided among multiple guys instead of one main receiving threat and the rest just blocking as in the past.

Hope that sheds a positive light on the TE situation that might be bothering some!!!!

NU has had some good TEs in the past but I think this WCO works best if passes are spread out like they have been this year. That way, the opponoent DC has to game plan to cover more people.

Thanks cmb,

Way to make me feel like an :asshat I didn't realize they had those kind of numbers. The TE situation isn't as bad as i thought it was. Thanks for the enlightenment. Of course 4 of those TD's came in one game...I think LaTech. I guess I was just expecting we would use them alot in the redzone. But it's pretty hard to when you can just throw the ball up to Mo, or pound it in with Glenn. :thumbs

I think the feeling that our tight end play is down this year is brought up because they haven't done a whole lot in the past couple of games. We do not run a whole lot of play action but when we do, they come up with big plays. Also, the emergence of our wideouts have limited the need of our tight ends. It seems, to me anyways, that the recievers are getting open right away and Taylor is just throwing the ball rather than having to go through his reads and find the tight end. It also helps that the running back is the checkdown focus point moreso than the tightends.

I completely agree. Please don't think I was downing the spreading of the wealth, it works to our advantage. Was just addressing the fact that we don't have a 'standout' TE for the first time in years. But combined they aren't too shabby. chuckleshuffle

I agree as well. Also we are running the ball more and that slows the game down and the TE's get less receptions. Eventually this offense will get to the point where we are putting a bunch more points on the board. Last season we rolled up a total of 3844 yards. So far this season we are at 4740 yards. That's already almost a 25% increase over last years total offensive numbers. And we still have three games left.

If we keep it up at this pace, and I'm not saying we will, then we will be on pace to hit 6000 total yards this season. And this offense isn't even close to firing on all cylinders yet.