Rebulding or Rebuilt?

There are always what if's and, what if's are irrelevant.

A fumble can be a bad player mistake or an excellent hit coupled with a lot of luck (witness the Texas loss). If the defender is two inches lower or Nun is two inches higher, or turns a seocnd later, he doesn't hit the arm hard enough to cause the fumble and NU PROBABLY wins. I say probably becuase that wasn't the last play of the game. What if Mo Pur hadn't made a spectactular catch, in either the Missouri game OR the A & M game. There would have been another play in either case. We can't know so why ruminate about what if's.

It is what happened that counts. :corndance

I'm not going to get fully into this because yes, what if's are ridiculous. "If Mo hadn't made the catch in either game...there would have been another play"....And? C'mon. You are now arguing What If's with hypotheticals.

I'm the devil's advocate on here. I'm the realist. Too many fans think they got screwed or the ball took a bad bounce or whatever that leads to less than a perfect season. I just plead for fans to take a look back and look at the good bounces and things that go NU's way time and again to get a win.

That was my point.

We are still rebuilding.

A truly dominant program has a dominant defense. (Unless you have ungodly talent on Offense, like USC did). We are not there yet. We don't match up with the top teams in the country speed- and athleticism-wise. We need better depth and talent on the defensive side.

Further, I don't sense the swagger that comes with a dominant program. If there is any difference between Michigan '05 and Michigan '06, it is attitude. They are mean and nasty and tough, and they KNOW they are dominant. We don't have that - yet.

We are close to being rebuilt, but not all the way there yet. We definately have the tools to do it and I say if we could figure out what our problems are in the 2nd half of games then we would be stomping teams and we wouldn't probably be having this conversation right now!!!! We figure out the 2nd half problems and I say we are rebuilt.......... :thumbs

We're lacking three things to say we're finished with the rebuilding:

1. Depth - quality depth of such a nature that when we lose a starter, the replacement is not much, if any, drop off in talent or performance.

2. Top-tier caliber talent at all or almost all positions. Our linebackers are a step slow, the secondary is well below average, and the offensive line, while vastly improved, is still not up to snuff. However, this one is a bit misleading, given the youth that we are starting. It could be that they are actually quite talented, but simply lacking experience.

3. Consistency. We have to put together total games, every game.

Having said all that, I'm very pleased both with the progress we've made and the direction we're heading.

I remeber one of the defensive players at the end of last year saying that in practice 1's on 1's the defense was always beating the offense, but that the offense was starting to make plays. It seems this year that are offense has improved tremendously and are defense may have fallen off a bit. I'm sure that our offense would destroy are defense now.

I think we are rebuilding, but on that same note, how do we know when we've restored the prestige of our great program? Is it measured by conference championships or national championships? Or is it demonstrated by having consistent seasons where we only lose 1-2 games?

I think it's a combination of all of those, actually. We know we're back when we are one of the prohibitive favorites to win the conference, we're one of the legitimate teams in contention for a national championship (meaning, in the top 10 to top 5 of the BCS each year), and where we experience only a loss or two a year at most.

Winning a national championship is as much about luck as talent these days - I don't think you can measure any program by that criteria. But a top program wins or comes close to winning its conference, and doesn't lose more than 1 or 2 games a year.

I think we are rebuilding, but on that same note, how do we know when we've restored the prestige of our great program? Is it measured by conference championships or national championships? Or is it demonstrated by having consistent seasons where we only lose 1-2 games?

Like it or not. The Standards have been set. A Coach was fired for not keeping up to those standards. How can you beleive we are back when they are having the same type of seasons the fired coach was?

This is the Standard. It is time to get there again.

I have been thinking about how much this team has improved since 2004 and how some believe we still arent all the way to where we wanna be but are heading in the right direction. Take a look back at this season and were extremly close to be a 1 loss team....I realize that theres going to be alotta almosts and ifs but just think about this...

Loss 1- USC Game- We competed for the entire game and were in the entire night granted the score dosent show we played respectably and were a few good breaks away from maybe pulling off an upset...Think back to SC's first scoring drive JDB was sacked and stripped of the ball but luckly had his RB in the right place at the right time picks it up scrambles for a 1st down and they eventually score....Mounting a drive late in the 2nd half Lucky breaks off a big run that gets called back and eventually killed the drive. SC's first drive of the 2nd half-JDB throws a terrible pass that SHOULD have been intercepted and taking to the house for 6. In the end we loss but we played alright against a great team in a hostile enviroment.

Loss 2- Texas Game- Great performance by the team in nearly every aspect of the game. We are about 3inches away (estimated measurment of Nunns' knee to the ground before he fumbled) to pulling of the big upset. We battled back against a great D in Texas and had our shot to win the game. Another mood point for us was how mother nature decided to go ahead and mellow out for Texas' game winning drive after it been snowing and windy all 2nd half....Bit*h...We also had a shot at winning the game at the end when Taylors heave to the Zone was batted down.

Loss 3- OSU Game- Dominated the game in the first qtr and a half ran all over the Pokes had an early 16-0 lead and then we faulted by putting it in cruise control and we ended up getting dominated out coached out played and the consquence was an ugly loss and deservedly so....Contrubite this loss to failure to finish and make proper adjustments.

We however are still 8-3 bowl bound and Big 12 Champ game bound and have our rivarly game against the Puffs day after Turkey Day this has been a very good season so far and we still have 3 more very winnable games...I think the program has righted the ship and the program will contunie to get better and before to long be a National power again!! 70' 71' 94' 95' 97'....07'???

GO BIG RED!!!!

:restore < no more

ORDER RESTORED!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely not

This team has won nothing. NOTHING! Yes, winning the Big 12 North gets them into the ccg but be serious, is any one of these players going to show thier North division ring to Ahman Green? Is the banner for the north going to get raised? No.

Beat, CU. At the very least play a tough CCG game (better yet, win) and win the bowl game, then we'll talk