Retire Taylor's Jersey

Wow, the guy holds the career record at you school for yards, tds, completions, attempts, and everything else, and you arent gonna retire his jersey. Thats rediculus. His jersey should be retired hands down, no questions asked. His number should not be, that requires hall of fame type status, but his jersey? Easily.

How long do you think his records will hold up? My guess is 5 years max.

If Navy switched to the west coast, their first pro style QB that starts 2 years would hold all their passing records too. I predict all Nebraska single season passing records will be broke next year. Didn't Taylor just break or is close to breaking Tommy Fraziers career passing TD record? Frazier was a option QB that had 3 years of starts.

Zac Taylor is a good player and has been a great Husker, but no, neither his jersey nor his number should be retired. He has played for the Huskers for just two years. He has not won a Heisman or a National Championship. Nebraska has had many great players who have not received this honor and Taylor should not either.

It depends on the criteria. National Championships? No. Saved the program? Yes.

I think, for shepharding the Huskers through two years from the option to the West Coast, showing the grit and the toughness he's shown, making Nebraska a player on the national stage again, opening the door for recruiting West Coast-players...well, I think he deserves it. I look at it as his contribution to the program - not necessarily titles. He's done a tremendous amount for the Huskers.

Aside from Novak who played in an earlier era, the sixteen retired jerseys have one thing in common, their owners won hardware identifying them as the best in the nation: Outlands, a Butkus, Rimington, Lombardis, Heismans (Frazier was a Heisman winner, I don’t care who they handed the statue to that year, he was. And anyway, two Sears and a Unitas).

As important as he’s been, as beloved as he is (Taylor will be more fondly remembered than Crouch) ZT is not in that company.

At the same time, if it happens, great! There is not a single fan, or retiree I imagine, that would be upset.

I am normally a little off base on these type of things, but seeing a lot of the players listed I have to make a comment.

Frazier, a great QB for the option, really not the best QB on the team. A team filled with All American's, a line that would still dominate college football. Running backs that are All Pro.

Crouch, was not evenly remotely comparative to Taylor. Historically a quitter, did far more damage for this program than anyone I can even think of. His ball hogging requirements and a spineless coach put us in the situation that Zac Taylor had to drag us out of.

I have said it before and will again. You put Zac Taylor at SC, Notre Dame, Ohio State the last two years and you are looking at two NC's under his belt and at least one Hypsman.

He is that good. But he is not surrouned by the type of athletes our prior greats had. That in itself gives reason for any award he might get. His get the job done attitude saved this program. Someday you will understand that.

We have had two such athletes the last two years. Cory Ross and Zac Taylor fed off of each other. They are the two best Huskers I have ever seen. They do not have the results, the records or the wins, but they have done far more with far less than any before.

When did we lower our standards to retire jersey's of players on a 3 loss team?

You're kidding, right?The standards aren't lower.

Trev Albert's played on a 3 loss team in 1990-91 AND 1992-93. His jersey is retired.

Tom Novak played on a 5 loss team on 1949-50. His NUMBER is retired.

What's my point? It's not all about record when you retire someone's jersey, obviously. It's an individual recognition, not a recognition of how the team did in any given year. Last I checked, the it's the team's record really.

Zac Taylor is the man that turned it all around for the most part in 2 seasons. I agree with DaveH. He did something that was thought to be impossible at Nebraska. Why not retire his jersey? He doesnt get much media attention , so the BIG RED NATION can give him some. We'll miss ya Zac!

Once again, I have to bring up the fact that Nebraska was not always an option, smash mouth running team. We have has a split end win the heisman, a wide receiver go in the first round of the draft, and we ran a pro style offense that produced a quarterback that took an nfl team to the superbowl. Taylor is going to win big twelve offensive player of the year, be first team all big twelve, and will own nearly every single passing record at Nebraska while throwing too Grant Mulkey, Todd Peterson, and JB Phillips, not Irving Fryar, or Johnny Rodgers. He deserves it more than some guys who are already up on that north stadium facade.

Taylor has been a great leader for this team and has eased the transition from option to west coast but unless we retire his jersey within the next year or so most of his records will probally be broken plus we will probally have a quarterback that is leading us to national title consideration. Taylor is really popular right now but in 10 years he will probally not be as popular as he is today and will probally not even be close to consideration for a retired jersey.

I take exception to your post skers.... not to the fact that Crouch was a whiny quitter, but last I checked, we scored 36 points against Colorado when we got blown out. You cant put all the blame for the downfall of a program on one quarterback's shoulders, especially when he won the heisman. If I remember correctly, that Husker team was one of the most prolific offensive husker teams of all time. Crouch didnt play defense, or recruit for that matter.

I count six players who received MULTIPLE first team All-American honors, whose jerseys are not retired; Broderick Thomas for crying out loud! It might help to read this aloud: Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier, Butkus Award winner Trev Alberts, The Great Transition Quarterback and Temporary Record Holder Zac Taylor. No, ZT doesn't make the cut.

Best in the nation, from one of the nation’s best programs, that is where the bar has been set, and that bar should not be moved. To do so sells the program short, and creates several glaring omissions of past great Huskers.

God bless Zac Taylor. May he never buy his own drink, dinner, or worry about finding gainful employment ( the full-on Matt Davison treatment and then some) while in the state of Nebraska, but don’t retire the jersey.