Auburn -3

THe big 12 North gets common references as being the worst division in football. Ivan Maisel from espn has compared it to the sun belt, repeatedly. Every talking head puts a knock on NU for playing in the north. The North gets a bad rep because OU and texas have been on runs lately and many of the north teams are in the rebuilding phase. The three north teams in bowls this year will all be underdogs, and as games get closer I expect them to become double digit dogs if they are not already.

The SEC gets put as the 'best' conference by nearly every analyist who covers college football. Any match up between the two will put NU as a heavy dog. I am suprised the line is only 3 right now to tell the truth.

I can't see the tigers as favorites. We match up very well in this game. We win this game. Might even blow them out.

Hey, tell me if I go to far, but this statement seems a little off to me. I mean, there's hoping for your team, and I even don't mind people saying that they'll win, but a blow out? I mean, losses to USC and Oklahoma aren't that bad, but OK State says something (the Texas game shouldn't have even been a loss so I don't count that). But Auburn's loss to UGA isn't very good either. But even losses aside, I don't know if Nebraskas really beaten any great teams this year. Good ones, yes, aTm, and TT, but I don't know if those teams quite compare to Florida and LSU this year.

I'm not trying to say that Auburn is gonna blow out Nebraska, I'm just saying that if Nebraska does win, it'll most likely be within 14. Hell, I don't think Auburn would blow out Nebraska, although I'd give them 17 since the spread is 3 in Auburn's favor.

Sorry if I seem defensive, but all week before the LSU game we had LSU fans making predictions of the likes of 45-3 and 30-0 in favor of LSU. And then they can't handle the loss. I just want to be able to have resonable discussions on this game.

As for being in the SEC, yeah, its starting to look like that finally helps a team out, since the SEC is getting a good rep, but c'mon, the big XII northin isn't THAT underrated.

I agree with you on this one...................hawkeyehusker made a bold prediction when he says that we could possibly blow you out..............I don't think that's going to happen. I see it as a close game with one of the teams making a big mistake to allow the other team to win...........whether that's an INT or fumble who knows. It's going to come down to turnovers, TOP, and our defenses.

We haven't really blown out any decent team this year. I expect it will be close if we win. Or if we lay an egg like we did against a far less talented team in Georgia, Nebraska might take us out back for a whippin. I have no idea which Auburn team will show up. I am sure Nebraska is in the same boat. We are all in the wait and see it mode. This game is huge for both programs even though it's the Cotton Bowl. I can't believe I just said that. A few national champs and some great games have come out of that ole Cotton Bowl way back when. Should be a fun one regardless.

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!!!!!

I can't see the tigers as favorites. We match up very well in this game. We win this game. Might even blow them out.

Hey, tell me if I go to far, but this statement seems a little off to me. I mean, there's hoping for your team, and I even don't mind people saying that they'll win, but a blow out? I mean, losses to USC and Oklahoma aren't that bad, but OK State says something (the Texas game shouldn't have even been a loss so I don't count that). But Auburn's loss to UGA isn't very good either. But even losses aside, I don't know if Nebraskas really beaten any great teams this year. Good ones, yes, aTm, and TT, but I don't know if those teams quite compare to Florida and LSU this year.

I'm not trying to say that Auburn is gonna blow out Nebraska, I'm just saying that if Nebraska does win, it'll most likely be within 14. Hell, I don't think Auburn would blow out Nebraska, although I'd give them 17 since the spread is 3 in Auburn's favor.

Sorry if I seem defensive, but all week before the LSU game we had LSU fans making predictions of the likes of 45-3 and 30-0 in favor of LSU. And then they can't handle the loss. I just want to be able to have resonable discussions on this game.

As for being in the SEC, yeah, its starting to look like that finally helps a team out, since the SEC is getting a good rep, but c'mon, the big XII northin isn't THAT underrated.

People like Hawkeye, probably are still influenced by our handling of Florida in '95 and Tennessee in '97.

Shoot''it's even a little difficult for me to take the SEC as serious as I should..(Their teams are not always overrated)..And We aren't near the same team we were...We're probably more compairable to that Gator team that we blew out.

Hope you don't get offended..part of the fun of the outrageous banter is the tall tales we don't tell anymore.

Hope this Cotton Bowl is a Classic!!

You Auburn fans are really nice, classy fans im glad to see you on the board. I hope no husker fans are causing problems on your board. I see this game being really close and both teams playing their A game.

Honestly, I couldn't have asked for more out of Nebraska fans. And I'm proud to call myself one after talking to yall. (But no, I'm still going for Auburn). I was almost scared to join the boards here because I didn't want to be disappointed like I have been with other teams this year (mostly LSU). Win or lose, I don't know if I could've picked a better team or fanbase to go up against. This has potential to be the best bowl game I've seen (and I was at the sugar bowl in 04).

I think our QB, Brandon Cox, will be the key to the game....as he goes, so goes our offense....I think our Defense will keep us around even if he doesn't perform well, but I don't think our Defense alone will push us to victory...

Also, Brandon suffers from a neuromuscular disorder that, IMO, has affected his play at times....

http://www.myasthenia.org/information/summary.htm

I watched a deal on ESPN early in the season about him and his disorder. It was pretty inspiring listening to him and what he's gone thru. He's a tough kid that's for sure :thumbs

I hope no Husker coach is seeing this. LOL But if I were scouting my own team, pressuring Cox the entire game would be my game plan. He's not mobile and sometimes gets lost in this daze and has this weird glare in his eyes like he is in lala land. No question the boy is tough. He has taken a beating with his lack of an offensive line this year.

ON defense, our defensive line is small but very quick as you guys might have seen from previous post from other AU fans. You guys are right though. Run the ball right at us up the gut. Seems to be where we are vulnerable.

In my opinion though, if we do show up to play we are hard to stop. However if you jump on us early, we don't come from behind very well. The key for you is to jump on us quick like Arkansas and Georgia did and we seem to meltdown from there.

Win or lose though, this will be fun and I'll post here after the game to go over details with you about the game. Glad to have made some new friends in this forum. :) I'm almost addicted. LOL

WARRRRRR EAGLE!!!

This is good stuff. Fans showing up to prop their team, nobody doing any excessive trash talking, this is what I like to see.

It is a fact that the Huskers have not beaten a top ten team all year. I have seen many fans say that the fact that AU is a more run oriented team bodes well for NU. However, many fans were saying if we could stop Oklahoma’s run game we could handle them…and we all saw what happened. I think our defensive staff coaches scared sometime. I really don’t know why. If the best game plan is to pressure AU’s QB, then do it all night. Sure the blitz is risky, but better to go down swinging and give yourself a chance, than to play conservative defense and lose by a close margin. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

I hope it is a good game, I hope we win, but good luck to Auburn.

In all fairness to myself I never said we would blow the tigers out. I said we might blow them out and I think the stats back me up.

NEB----AUB

Avg. Natl. Avg. Natl

Rushing offense-----175.62----25th---155.00----43rd

Passing offense-----253.15----18th--- 177.83----87th

Pass efficiency------154.89----10th----139.15----34th

Total offense--------428.77-----9th-----332.83---68th

Scoring offense------31.85-----13th-----25.42----49th

Rushing defense----120.38-----43rd---125.83----48th

Pass defense--------223.31-----89th---171.67----20th

Pass eff. defense----117.75----42nd---117.18----38th

Total defense--------343.69----70th----297.50----25th

Scoring defense------18.38-----30th-----13.92-----7th

Net punting-----------37.24-----32nd-----38.95-----4th

Punt returns-----------7.74------77th------6.00---100th

Kickoff returns-------17.23-----114th-----25.76----6th

Turnover margin------0.00------61st-----+0.42----32nd

Schedule strength 0.55645161--25th--0.54687500--32nd

Look at the tigers passing game for example. Even with our weak secondary they are not going to put up huge numbers on us through the air. If you look at our passing defense we have been vulnerable, but only to teams that have both an efficient passing QB and a go to receiver. Their QB, Brandon Cox has a 13 - 9 TD to interception ratio. Not good. Plus the tigers only have one receiver of note, Courtney Taylor, and he barely registers on the national charts. The tigers don't have the horses to beat us in the air. Even with our tender secondary. Our running defense is solid. They won't get much on the ground. So if we can shut down their running game, and they don't have an efficient enough QB or the receivers to beat us in the air how are they even going to score on us?

The only way we lose this game is if we have a lot of turnovers. And I don't think Taylor will have two bad games in a row. Teams that don't have a passing offense do pass for more yards than they normally do when they play us. But the tigers don't have much of an offense, their strength is their defense. And we are far too balanced on offense for them to stop us. The sooners have a better defense than the tigers do. And we rolled up pretty close to 400 yards on the sooners. Of course the turnovers killed us.

I noticed a while ago that your stats are better, but you have to keep in mind that

Auburn has played 2 top 5 teams, and 3 top 15 teams.

Nebraska has played 3 top 10 team, and 4 ranked teams.

Against ranked opponents, Auburn is 2-3, Nebraska is 1-4.

Nebraska also had a I-AA team to boost those stats a bit... I only bring this up because Auburn was chastised so heavily for having the Citadel on their schedule in 2004 so it obviously means something. It is also of note that Nicholls state is not ranked in div. I-AA with a 4-7 record (two of the losses were to Div. I-A teams Nebraska and La. Tech.)

As for the whole "blowout" thing, I'm going to take the liberty of defining "blowout" as a win by 21 points or more. Tell me if you do not agree with that. The following rankings are also being taken from the Collegefootballnews.com top 119 rankings so that I can put perspective to these blowout wins.

In this season, Nebraska has blown out the following teams:

Rank Team Score Record

104. La. Tech (49-10) 3-10

n/a Nicholls St. (56-7) 4-7

106. Troy (56-0) 7-5

76. Colorado (37-14) 2-10

9. Auburn n/a 10-2

Now, Auburn's blowouts, just for fun...

Rank Team Score Record

57. Wash. St. 40-14 6-6

61. Miss. St. 34-0 3-8

116. Buffalo 38-7 2-10

91. Tulane 38-13 4-8

112. Ark St. 27-0 6-6

As you can see, Nebraska has not blown out any team ranked higher than 76, and Auburn, 57. This is why I don't think this game will be a blowout. But you're free to have you're opinion. I just don't quite understand your reasoning.