Return?

cmb23

I apologize in advance if this has been covered/asked. I'm not going to start a new thread to bitch/complain/argue....there are plenty already for me to do that.

I am just asking a simple question/opinion....I know the probability of getting a huge return was rather small, and running one back for a TD practically improbable. However, why go for the all-out block on the punt and not have ANYONE to return at the end of the game? A 15-20 yard return would have at least made the endzone reachable on a hail-mary pass instead of a hail-mary to the 20 yard line???

This kind of decision rests on so many factors that it's pure speculation. For example - did the coaches see some potential weakness in the Auburn alignment that made them think that they had a better shot at a block than at a return?

I do know that our return game, while improved, has not resulted in many big plays, if any. That could certainly be a factor, as well.

I was a little suprised as well about this decision....but there must have been something in there. The only way we would have saved time is if the returner would have called for a fair catch no matter what....that is not always guranteed either....plus, the returners did muff a few punts throughout the year as well....so many factors to think about in a matter of seconds to make your decision on what to do.

I was a little suprised as well about this decision....but there must have been something in there. The only way we would have saved time is if the returner would have called for a fair catch no matter what....that is not always guranteed either....plus, the returners did muff a few punts throughout the year as well....so many factors to think about in a matter of seconds to make your decision on what to do.

ahhhh...one of the many challenges of coaching.....with years of NFL experience to draw upon? <_<

wonder what Pete Carroll would have called?

better odds for a return and saving some time on the clock IMO...blocking a punt when they KNOW you are coming is a long shot..poor odds, waste of precious clock time......this one WAS a poor decision on cally's part, not really complaining, just an observation

Just another terrible coaching decision. Almost as bad as Summerall was.

better odds for a return and saving some time on the clock IMO...blocking a punt when they KNOW you are coming is a long shot..poor odds, waste of precious clock time......this one WAS a poor decision on cally's part, not really complaining, just an observation

Just another terrible coaching decision. Almost as bad as Summerall was.

Thank you for your insight and vast knowledge of everything......... :asshat

At that point you are in desperation stage, so I don't think there is any right answer. The chances of scoring even after a return were fairly remote, so I don't think it was a horrible idea to put everyone on the line of scrimmage to go for the block since there was probably a better chance of blocking the punt than scoring after a punt return. Either way, it was a long shot.

At that point you are in desperation stage, so I don't think there is any right answer. The chances of scoring even after a return were fairly remote, so I don't think it was a horrible idea to put everyone on the line of scrimmage to go for the block since there was probably a better chance of blocking the punt than scoring after a punt return. Either way, it was a long shot.

I agree, kinda like your dammed if you do dammed if you don't ;)