Were we the Best Big 12 team in Bowl Play?

I found this thread on another board. Thought some of you might enjoy it if you haven't already.

-16/17 Rutgers blew out the Kitties 37-10, which makes their record against teams that use 'scarlet' as their base color 0-2 for the year, which is the way it should always be.

-Mizzou chokes against a mediocre Pac-10 24/25 Oregon State team 39-38.

-Oklahoma State eeks out a win against a barely competent 'Bama team (that doesn't have a HC or a DC) 34-31.

-TexAss A&M gets blown out of the water by 19/20 California team 45-10

-TexAss has to come from behind to beat a mediocre unranked 6-6 Iowa team 26-24.

-TexAss Tech has to actually come back from 31 points down to beat a mediocre Minnesota team 44-41.

-We all know how bad Oklahoma screwed up--Boise State, while good, isn't a Top-10 team and wouldn't be touted as a Top-10 team if folks weren't so gung-ho for a playoff. Oklahoma just found out they used up the last of their 'Sooner Magic' getting to their bowl game and became way too dependent on it.

This sort of makes our 3 point loss to a very good 11-2 Auburn team from the SEC a little less painful. IMO

Although a loss is a loss, I also feel the same way.... NU obviously had to play the toughest team of any Big 12 school, and probably faired the best on the field.....

The above post really is pretty accurate.....

If you dig deep enough, you can find some positives....but, we still loss the game, and that sucks.

The only think I didn't like about it was the Boise State comment. What more do they have to do to finally get just a little bit of respect from some people.

I have to agree with what you say about BSU. When we lost to Oklahoma I know many people that were saying...well they are one of the hottest teams in the country. And if they hadn't have been screwed against Oregon, could have very well been in the Nat. Champ. hunt. They get beat by BSU and suddenly they really weren't that good?

I disagree that Auburn was head and shoulders the toughest team played by a Big XII school. Rutgers was a tough team - obviously they and the Big East were a little better than given credit for as they went undefeated during bowl season. BSU could knock off any team listed. Cal's offense could do damage to all the teams as well.

What this post tells me is that the Big XII is very weak right now and has work to do as an entire league to gain respect.

Although a loss is a loss, I also feel the same way.... NU obviously had to play the toughest team of any Big 12 school, and probably faired the best on the field.....

The above post really is pretty accurate.....

If you dig deep enough, you can find some positives....but, we still loss the game, and that sucks.

:yeah

The only think I didn't like about it was the Boise State comment. What more do they have to do to finally get just a little bit of respect from some people.

To be honest, I think BSU needs at least another year, maybe two before talk of them being in contention for a NC can be made. Zabransky will be gone next year and he's pretty much their team (ala Vince Young at Texas). If BSU can repeat and go undefeated next season, then I would seriously cater to the idea of them playing in the NC. I will give them credit (respect) though. They definitely opened up a lot of eyes with their win over OU.

To be honest, I think BSU needs at least another year, maybe two before talk of them being in contention for a NC can be made. Zabransky will be gone next year and he's pretty much their team (ala Vince Young at Texas). If BSU can repeat and go undefeated next season, then I would seriously cater to the idea of them playing in the NC. I will give them credit (respect) though. They definitely opened up a lot of eyes with their win over OU.

It will be interesting to see how they do with out Z. Of course this team has been rolling for 5 years now. Before Zabransky they had Dinwidde who set the all time QB rating mark for a career (163+ I believe). They should still have Ian Johnson and some of those receivers. They do have another Zabransky/Dinwidde (scrambler who can throw darts) who's been there for a year or two...plus a pretty good recruit coming in.

Wierd. They lost Hawkins after '05, and another head coach a year or two prior to Hawkins. What has been the consistent factor there? Hmmmm....let's see....Oh, yeah, the Offensive Coordinator turned Head Coach Chris Petersen has been there for about 5 or 6 years. Coincidence???

I feel bad that Boise St played their butts off this year and probably harder than anyone, and have no chance at the national title. They might not have the best athletes. But they play as a team better than anyone I have ever seen. It's like a great cook not sharing the ingredients to their great recipes. Boise St has a formula that works.

I'll tell you this too. Boise St has become America's team. Not the media. but America. The media will always pull for the Notre Dames, USC's Michigans ect. I talk with fans and people all over the country and they all say the same thing. Boise St is fun to watch. A bunch of no namers who play as one unit and win. They have gained a lot of respect from all serious college football fans across the country. Wow.

I had a LONG discussion last night with a friend of mine (Florida/SEC fan) and although I knew she would disagree with me, I said Boise State deserved a chance at the NC more than Florida did. Especially after beating OU. And like everyone has said here, she asked me "But who has OU beat, what are they ranked?" And I continued on about how they really only lost one game...and to Texas, who was a top tier team at the time.

Anyway, basically I'm agreeing with everyone here in that when OU win the games they should win they are considered a tough team to beat...when they lose against a previously unnoticed Boise State team who come from a conference that supposedly is weaker....OU is considered a crap team. For all we know, Boise State could be tougher than Florida or tougher than Ohio State...but we'll never know that.

Why can't there be an amazing team in a weaker conference? They beat everyone they were supposed to beat...blowing many away by 3 touchdowns or more. If Nebraska was the ONLY winning team in the Big XII, blew away everyone in the conference and making the Big XII seem weak...would that make Nebraska not good because of who they played? No! They'd still have a chance at the National title. Happens to USC a lot...

If Florida or Ohio State had played the teams Boise State did, I'm betting they would have beat them just as bad as BS did.

I don't think we only need to look at a potential 4 or 8 team play off system...but also how we rank the teams that make those systems. The ranking system sucks right now.