Breaking down the Offense: It's Sam's Club

OWH

Breaking down the offense: It's Sam's club

BY DIRK CHATELAIN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Steve Pederson might want to consider expanding Memorial Stadium again - for the spring game.

You thought the Zac Taylor era was noteworthy? You thought plucking a no-name from Bob Stoops' backyard and turning him into an All-Big 12 quarterback was interesting?

Wait 'til you get a load of this next guy.

The 2006 season had a few nice story lines, but the biggest might have come in August when former Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller announced his transfer to Nebraska. Keller's wait is coming to an end.

He'll start the spring as the quarterback front-runner, ahead of veteran backup Joe Ganz, junior college transfer Zac Lee and freshman Patrick Witt.

When Nebraska scrimmages for the public April 14, all eyes will be fixed on Keller, whom most scouts touted before his transfer as a first- or second-round NFL draft pick.

"We've got to replace Zac, and that will be hard to do," offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. "But we've got a lot of good football players in the wings. If they step up, we've got a chance to be much better next year."

Keller's personality is more like Nebraska's defensive No. 13 (Corey McKeon) than its offensive one (Taylor). He's been known to bow after touchdown passes, to scold teammates for making mistakes. But if the senior can boost his offense over the hump, few in Nebraska will care about his disposition.

Big-game performances were the knock on the 2006 offense. It shined on opening drives and in the red zone. It developed a multi-faceted rushing attack and found an explosive wideout and turned the ball over just 25 times.

But Nebraska averaged just 12.8 points per game against four Top 10 foes. Just as disturbing were the Huskers' second-half stumbles.

The last 10 games, they scored 14 points combined in the third quarter. Their 79 first-quarter points during that span surpassed their 78 second-half points. They blew large leads to Kansas, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M. They didn't even score in the second half the final two games.

The numbers raise questions about Bill Callahan's ability to adjust once he completes his 15-play script. An answer to that question requires time.

Assembling Callahan's 2007 offensive cast of characters doesn't.

"All the receivers are back," Taylor said. "All the running backs are back. They're going to have a good quarterback, whoever it is. And that offensive line is pretty young. I have a feeling they're going to be a much better team the next couple of years. All those guys are just going to get better in the offseason."

One position to keep an eye on is offensive line. Competition during spring ball should only strengthen the unit, which at times lacked able bodies the past three years.

"Our whole two-deep, they've all started at some time," tackle Matt Slauson said. "And now we've got Keith Williams coming up and he's a big-time player. We've got D.J. Jones. We've got some huge guys. We're going to have so much talent and so much size, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch."

Carl Nicks, who filled in for Slauson at right tackle late in the year, went a step further: "Our offensive line next year, I think, is going to be the best part of our whole offense."

Sorry, Carl, that's not what folks will be talking about at the spring game.

Great! He sounds like a cocky dick. That should be super aas well as great for team coheasion. Who doesn't like a qb who 'scolds' them? Can't wait!

I cant help it but.......am I sensing some sarcasm in there??? If I'm wrong then sorry for bothering you.....

I personally love this kind of "in your face" attitude. Could be just what we need next year to keep the offense rolling in the second half.

Great! He sounds like a cocky dick. That should be super aas well as great for team coheasion. Who doesn't like a qb who 'scolds' them? Can't wait!

I cant help it but.......am I sensing some sarcasm in there???

this keller kid wants the big prize. this is his last year in college football and if he wants a career in the NFL, he's gonna make a statement. so personally, he's putting he preasure on himself.

taylor is a different kinda of quarterback? drop the ball i put in your numbers? nah, it's okay... it happens. i'm sure you wanted, but it just wasn't meant to be, i guess.

keller sounds like he's gonna be a little more demanding. now as long he keeps the tempo up without crushing his teammate's respect, i'm down with that. but if this guy's a turbo-charged tool whom everyone is gonna hate, then big red is gonna be looking at some major heartache this season.

thing is, from what i've heard about the scout team, as charged as keller is he hasn't offended anyone yet.

i'm looking forward to this next season. seriously, man.

I think we need someone with some fire in their attitude........We need a QB that gets in the grill of some of his receivers when they drop an easy pass that they should have had. I don't want him to go overboard and cause problems, but if this kid is as good as advertised we are in for a treat next season!!!! Remember in 2001 when we went to the National Championship??? The only reason we got there was because of an outstanding QB in Crouch and with the talent we are going to have next year there is no reason we can't do it again!!!! :woo