Brandt thinks BJax should withdraw name

HANC

How much higher do some you think his stock would have risen? Right now, I think he is a third round choice. If he would have came back and had a 1200+ season, I only look for him to be moved up into the second round next year. Third round backs generally get a three year contract worth about 3-4 million per. A second round back would probally get about a four or five year deal worth about 4-5 million per. The extra year in school would net him an extra year on his contract (could be good or bad, depends on who signs him) and an extra one million a year. If a player is not a first round pick, then his money (bulk) is not made from his rookie contract, but instead from his RFA contract or FA contract which if he proves his worth in the league, could be a very nice contract.

I don't know where you get your figures, but I am not sure 3-4 round draft picks make nearly that much money. 3-4 million a season is what mid first rounders get. I think about 1 million per season is about as good as can be expected for a 3rd round draft pick. I think a good contract for a 3rd rounder would be about 3 years for $4 million total with about $800,000 signing bonus.

How much higher do some you think his stock would have risen? Right now, I think he is a third round choice. If he would have came back and had a 1200+ season, I only look for him to be moved up into the second round next year. Third round backs generally get a three year contract worth about 3-4 million per. A second round back would probally get about a four or five year deal worth about 4-5 million per. The extra year in school would net him an extra year on his contract (could be good or bad, depends on who signs him) and an extra one million a year. If a player is not a first round pick, then his money (bulk) is not made from his rookie contract, but instead from his RFA contract or FA contract which if he proves his worth in the league, could be a very nice contract.

I don't know where you get your figures, but I am not sure 3-4 round draft picks make nearly that much money. 3-4 million a season is what mid first rounders get. I think about 1 million per season is about as good as can be expected for a 3rd round draft pick. I think a good contract for a 3rd rounder would be about 3 years for $4 million total with about $800,000 signing bonus.

i believe Gore for the 49ers got something like 3 million this year. I could be wrong on this, but I thought I read that with his incentives, leading the NFC in rushing, 10+ touchdowns, pro bowl, he would make about 3 million and he was a third round pick.

i believe Gore for the 49ers got something like 3 million this year. I could be wrong on this, but I thought I read that with his incentives, leading the NFC in rushing, 10+ touchdowns, pro bowl, he would make about 3 million and he was a third round pick.

Negotiated incentives and base salary are a different story. Gore is certainly the exception and not the norm as far as reaching those.

check out this website www.footballsalaries.usatoday.com

shows the base salary and bonuses for all players. Kind of a cool site to see how much(or little) players actually make.

Just for sake of comparison, Marion Barber was a 4th round pick in '05, and he got 230K base with a 365K signing bonus.

I don't buy into the fear of injury as a reason for leaving college. I would think it would be more likely to be injured in the NFL just due to the size and speed of NFL defenses. In order for a mid-round draft pick to make a huge amount of money, he would have to stay healthy for a minimum of 3 years in the NFL in order to make it to free agency which is where mid-round picks get their first shot at a huge contract if they have proven themselves worthy.

As for where BJAX fits into the draft, I don't have any idea, but as food for thought, Ahman Green was a jr when he came out and he went in the 3rd round despite having seen significant playing time for the better part of 3 years.

I don't buy into the fear of injury as a reason for leaving college. I would think it would be more likely to be injured in the NFL just due to the size and speed of NFL defenses.

That is why you go pro early. Because if you get hurt playing the sport of football. You have already signed the contract and are getting the money. In college, all you get is to continue to go to classes for free.

According to USA Today, there are only 5 NFL running backs who had a salary of over $3 million in 2005 (they didn't have the `06 numbers). Edgerrin James, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, and Curtis Martin. Then there are another Twelve who's signing bonus pushed them over $3 million (some just barely over). Of course a signing bonus is a one-time thing and not considered part of the annual contract. So I find it hard to believe that BJax will make more than the highest paid backs in the league. If he goes mid-3rd round he'll pull in some good bucks...may even get a nice signing bonus, but unless he comes out, earns a starting job in camp, sets the world on fire his rookie season, and re-negotiates, he won't be anywhere near 3-4 million per year.

BJax won't be withdrawing his name. According to Steve Sipple (of the Lincoln Journal-Star)'s interview with Brandon's high school coach, he is upset about how he was used in the Cotton Bowl. Apparently the straw that broke the camel's back.

well, if that is true, THAT'S pretty interesting stuff....makes one wonder?

I can't say that I wouldn't do the same thing if I was in his shoes. I don't know what I would do to be honest with you. There is a chance that we will be much improved next season and make some big things happen so his name could've gotten out there more? :dunno

Consider also that when Green announced, he came from a run-only offense and didn't know a thing about picking up a blitz, really hadn't proven he could catch a ball and had some issues with fumbling. Jackson has proven effective at not only showing the patience to hit the hole, but he can be used in numerous ways because of his hands, power and speed.